ios app is rubish

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I find the ios app and the andriod app are rubish not logical.
And definitly not user friendly the Sonos team dont seem to
understand, my wife complains she cant use it to play music,
please Sonos do something to make it easier to use.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
so you hate the amazon music and spotify apps as well (since they are all near identical).

Love the Sonos app and the universal search between all services and local music and not being beholden to a single supplier of my music.

and then of course if you have ios and a newer sonos speaker it will play from any app.

it will play direct from Spotify app ios

it will play direct from google music app on android
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Its the switching between my conect amp use this for tv sound
and 2 play3 sometimes we want a big sound and gruppe these
together, but when we want to go back to connect amp for tv
sound it goes wrong too many clicks to get tv sound, its just
not logical
Its the switching between my conect amp use this for tv sound
and 2 play3 sometimes we want a big sound and gruppe these
together, but when we want to go back to connect amp for tv
sound it goes wrong too many clicks to get tv sound, its just
not logical

You can set it to automatically switch to TV when the TV is turned on, and you have not told us if you want the group to stay after you switch to TV or if you wish it to ungroup, but there are options for both. Go into Settings for the Connect:Amp and turn Line-In Autoplay to 'On' and Ungroup on Autoplay to 'Off' or 'On' depending on your wishes.

Also, this is a pretty specific complaint about a configuration for which the Connect:Amp was not originally designed. To call the app "rubbish" for not being optimal in this particular fringe use case is a bit of overkill, no?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
The Sonos app has seen a lot of critic,now over many years and versions
and it has not got better, the connect amp works very well with my tv thanks and no
i dont like Beam or playbar the design is not in our taste big and clumpy also too expensive.
Instead of the 3 small dots when i want to play music in a room, why not a roll down menu that
asks which room would you like to play this music?
The Sonos app has seen a lot of critic,now over many years and versions
and it has not got better, the connect amp works very well with my tv thanks and no
i dont like Beam or playbar the design is not in our taste big and clumpy also too expensive.
Instead of the 3 small dots when i want to play music in a room, why not a roll down menu that
asks which room would you like to play this music?
You mean something like this? I'm not clear what is so demanding about a quick tap.
the connect amp works very well with my tv thanks and no
I
I am very happy for you, but it does not change the fact that the Connect:Amp was not designed or intended to be used for TV sound, and has never been marketed as such.
Badge +1
Learn how to use it! We're used and happy with it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I know how to use it thank you, i have used sonos now for over 10 years.
I am also part of the Sonos beta program, but i still think it is not user friendly.
As far as i remember Sonos had a much better version a few years ago i think
the last good version was v7 much easier to use.
I love Sonos and recamend it to friends, but the app is crap.
Thats my opion thank you.
I know how to use it thank you, i have used sonos now for over 10 years.
I am also part of the Sonos beta program, but i still think it is not user friendly.
As far as i remember Sonos had a much better version a few years ago i think
the last good version was v7 much easier to use.
I love Sonos and recamend it to friends, but the app is crap.
Thats my opion thank you.
And you are entitled to your opinion, there is no right and wrong here, and different approaches suit different people. But my experience is that some people who don't like the current app really have just not got the hang of it. The key to the current app is the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen. To put music on in the room(s) you want, you just:
1. Tap the 'Rooms' button and tap the room you want, or group a few together.
2. Tap the 'Browse' button to choose a particular source, or the 'Search' button to search across all sources, or the 'My Sonos' button to access your previously stored playlists and favourites.

How could that be simpler? To my mind it is logical, straightforward and efficient. You are entitled to think otherwise, but please explain what the problem with that is.

'My Sonos' has plenty of scope for improvement, IMO, but is usable.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Thanks John B
Good points i agree it is normaly easy to use in some cases,
but we use the connect amp all the time for tv sound which
works well no lip sync problems and i prefer my own speakers
for this tv sound, the problem is when i want to use my connect amp
to play music, when i want tv sound again i have to press browse
and then press line in, and then press tv room, press play now,
rather a long way to get tv sound again i think.
I know Sonos want me to buy a playbar or beam for tv but both
myself and my wife think they are ugly design but
Thanks John B
rather a long way to get tv sound
again i think.

So you are expecting Sonos to wreak havoc with firmware and controller because of your very special use case?
Thanks John B
rather a long way to get tv sound again i think.

An easier way to switch to the TV is already in the software. Do what I suggested above (which you completely ignored) and turn on Autoplay for the Connect:Amp line-in. That will automatically switch to the TV whenever you turn the TV on. And if you are listening to music with the TV on, a simple Mute/Unmute of the TV remote will switch to the TV audio.
@jtkeep. You are clearly unaware of the product history, and your cynicism is regrettable. You have probably also missed the fact that Sonos have produced a replacement for the Connect:Amp, which, unlike the original, is designed for TV as well as music. But I have spent enough time on your comments so will not be looking further at this thread.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
John B
I am well aware of the product history, of course a critic is always negative but hopeing Sonos
would make there app more user friendly, this meant as a help to Sonos to make the app better.
And no i have noted that Sonos has a new connect amp.
I was glad that you commented on my problem, my wife has stopped useing the sonos app
she finds it to complicated.
As the app is the only way to use our Sonos system, i also bought a cm200 remote which stopped
working after 2 years.
I did find your last reply to be a rather not user friendly reply, as you dont know me and what i know.
I do hope i dont meet you again on this forum, if i post again dont bother to reply John B
Badge +1
You start Sonos App-> you unplug the Apple quick menu (Slide your finger up the screen) and pick from that (Music up, right) your room?
John B
I am well aware of the product history, of course a critic is always negative but hopeing Sonos
would make there app more user friendly, this meant as a help to Sonos to make the app better.
And no i have noted that Sonos has a new connect amp.
I was glad that you commented on my problem, my wife has stopped useing the sonos app
she finds it to complicated.
As the app is the only way to use our Sonos system, i also bought a cm200 remote which stopped
working after 2 years.
I did find your last reply to be a rather not user friendly reply, as you dont know me and what i know.
I do hope i dont meet you again on this forum, if i post again dont bother to reply John B

I have attempted to explain to you (TWICE! ) how to configure the Connect:Amp to AUTOMATICALLY switch over to the TV, without ANY use of the Sonos app. You have ignored this advice, TWICE! Instead you continue to antagonize and insult other posters who are trying to help you.

I'll not be posting the advice again, and I suggest my fellow posters do the same.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Thanks jgatie
I did try your sugestion this did not help.
But i have found a new app sonopad this
is much better and easier to use Sonos
could learn how to make an app that is
user friendly by looking at this app.
How in the world didn't it help? You wanted an easy way to switch to TV from music, automatically switching without using the app is pretty freaking easy.

This thread is a work. Or a slow play spamming for Sonospad.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
It does not help because we dont turn the tv off only at night.
I just want an easy way to change between tv sound and music
on the connect.
The sonopad does this very easily.
But again thanks for your interest.
Does your remote not have a mute button? :8