Answered

ios and android apps after May 2020

• 23 January 2020
  • 1 reply

As a long-standing Sonos user with 16 units in 2 houses I am extremely disappointed about the May 2020 end of life announcement. I won’t repeat all the points already made numerous times by other previously loyal Sonos fans.

I will opt to freeze my systems in May and am very unlikely to buy any more units in the future. (I was about to buy a 2nd soundbar and sub) As I stream locally the units should continue to work for some time. 

However, I am really concerned that at some point May2020 Apps will not be available in the future.  What will happen if I need to replace my phone because I lose it say in 18 months time.  I buy a new phone and then download the Sonos app but the then current version of the app won’t then work with my “old” system.  

My son has a 100% new system so his system and controller apps will be updated in May.  Does that mean that his controller won’t work in my house and mine won’t work in his?

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 January 2020, 23:21

Hi @UK 2006 customer, yes, you will still be able to control a legacy Sonos system even if you choose to upgrade your phone in the future. We’re not sharing all the details yet, but there’s a new announcement from the CEO that was added to the main thread of the community post here

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi @UK 2006 customer, yes, you will still be able to control a legacy Sonos system even if you choose to upgrade your phone in the future. We’re not sharing all the details yet, but there’s a new announcement from the CEO that was added to the main thread of the community post here