Answered

IOS 11 and TruePlay

• 20 September 2017
  • 97 replies

After updating to IOS 11 TruePlay doesn’t work!
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 September 2017, 23:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

97 replies

Badge
After updating to IOS 11 TruePlay doesn’t work! I am just unlucky, updated to ios 11 this morning, got a Play 3 this afternoon and cant tune!
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes you're not yet able to tune the speakers as you have the new iOS.
Although some here appear not to understand that having iOS on devices other than a new iPhone still means you're unable to use Trueplay too.
After updating to IOS 11 TruePlay doesn’t work!
Looking forward to get it, since I just moved to a new home
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

And 11 was released on Tuesday...!!!!!!!!

Yes, did you know that

It will be here. Patience.

Something something Audible Alexa third party app support
:8

Yes I did know that.

Maybe I would be really, really annoyed if Trueplay on my new iPhone 8 gave really, really poor results. Or would you be quite happy about your phone doing that? Can I wait a few weeks...or possibly longer for when the X arrives. Yep. No problem.

And herein is the basic, very simple lesson. Do not upgrade any software until you know it will work with what you want it to do. Standard life rule. Or just be patient and dial down the “I want, I want”
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
After updating to IOS 11 TruePlay doesn’t work! I am just unlucky, updated to ios 11 this morning, got a Play 3 this afternoon and cant tune!

Then you haven’t missed anything.
The fun I’ve got is I have a playbar Sub 2 Play 5 2nd gens and 2 Play 1s I just got and can’t tune them grrr every room has a red dot
Hmmmmm.....seriously. Apple provide developers with early access to iOS 11 surely to allow companies to get their 'ducks in a row' for when it's released. Sonos should first take care of their exiting 'valued' client base and have their Trueplay update for iOS 11 for existing users, and then do the necessary due diligence for the new iPhone releases after that. All I am hearing is excuses not reasons!!!! Come on Sonos you really need to do better on the customer satisfaction side, and not assume we are all morons who don't understand the finesse of upgrades and enhancements.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You don't need to be a developer to have access to the beta software. Any person with Apple hardware can join their public beta program and have access to the beta software (usually they get access 7-10 days after the release to registered developers). And it only costs $99/yr to become a registered developer.

iOS 11 has been in testing since the annual Apple developer's conference in June.

I don't recall this delay when iOS 10 was released last year, but do recall it took some time for the then new iPhone 7s to be added as devices that could be used for TruePlay tuning. So I understand why it will be some time before the iPhone 8s, just released to the public, will be approved hardware (if in fact they meet the requirements) but not why iOS 11 broke the functionality for previously approved hardware.

Flame suit on....
All I can say is goodness help us if we want Sonos to support Trueplay on the iPhone X any time soon after it's released. Better keep you old iPhone just in case 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

b) Only private individuals are eligible for beta testing; Sonos, however, is a so called legal person.

Err app developers have had access to the ios betas, rc and gold master all along.

Yes, small third party developers; freelancers.

Right. Small third party developers like...er...Spotify and Twitter.
Not having TruePlay isn't the end of the world. Everything else still works, including the speakers. The sound as delivered is stellar, and chances are you won't even hear the difference after tuning. Enjoy them as they are for now.
I just fell into it as well! Hard to believe

Why is it hard to believe? iOS changes require Sonos to re-certify the Trueplay tuning algorithms to any changing software and/or new hardware. That requires time to get correct, as stated by the Sonos rep above. In the meantime, Trueplay still works for any device not running iOS 11.

——
It’s hard to believe because they will get beta and developer releases in advance so they can be prepared for it! I have a big family party bought two more play:1 and a play bar and are unable to tune them so yeah people will me miffed
As has been stated before, the likely issue isn't the software that they would have had their hands on, it's the hardware, which Apple wouldn't share with anyone at all.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Why is it hard to believe? iOS changes require Sonos to re-certify the Trueplay tuning algorithms to any changing software and/or new hardware. That requires time to get correct, as stated by the Sonos rep above. In the meantime, Trueplay still works for any device not running iOS 11.

Because how long has the beta been out? Did SONOS start developing/testing for iOS last week?
Your answer is nonsense.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
The fun I’ve got is I have a playbar Sub 2 Play 5 2nd gens and 2 Play 1s I just got and can’t tune them grrr every room has a red dot

And in the past week you decided to use Trueplay?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Hmmmmm.....seriously. Apple provide developers with early access to iOS 11 surely to allow companies to get their 'ducks in a row' for when it's released. Sonos should first take care of their exiting 'valued' client base and have their Trueplay update for iOS 11 for existing users, and then do the necessary due diligence for the new iPhone releases after that. All I am hearing is excuses not reasons!!!! Come on Sonos you really need to do better on the customer satisfaction side, and not assume we are all morons who don't understand the finesse of upgrades and enhancements.

And how would they do that given that all phones use the same iOS?
Of course, you may wonder why betas exist because they are always the final version. Aren't they? Unless you know what changes to sound processing were made in beta and you know definitely, through your crystal ball, that those changes were to be included in the final version.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You don't need to be a developer to have access to the beta software. Any person with Apple hardware can join their public beta program and have access to the beta software (usually they get access 7-10 days after the release to registered developers). And it only costs $99/yr to become a registered developer.

iOS 11 has been in testing since the annual Apple developer's conference in June.

I don't recall this delay when iOS 10 was released last year, but do recall it took some time for the then new iPhone 7s to be added as devices that could be used for TruePlay tuning. So I understand why it will be some time before the iPhone 8s, just released to the public, will be approved hardware (if in fact they meet the requirements) but not why iOS 11 broke the functionality for previously approved hardware.

Flame suit on....

How do,you,know iatmdidn’t break it?
You don’t need to apply much brainpower to understand the difference between beta and final. What changes did 11 bring to your phone? Do you know? Sound processing perhaps?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
All I can say is goodness help us if we want Sonos to support Trueplay on the iPhone X any time soon after it's released. Better keep you old iPhone just in case :D

Oh, panic. Let me practice tearing my hair and chewing tneough a few tables in disgust.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

——
It’s hard to believe because they will get beta and developer releases in advance so they can be prepared for it! I have a big family party bought two more play:1 and a play bar and are unable to tune them so yeah people will me miffed

Would it help if someone tickled your tummy for a while?
Maybe your family of hyper critical audiophiles will forgive you for being extremly silly by upgrading to 11 far too soon.
Userlevel 1
Badge

And in the past week you decided to use Trueplay?

I just got (1) a Sonos Play:5 and (2) iPhone 8 in the past week. So, yeah.

Because how long has the beta been out? Did SONOS start developing/testing for iOS last week?
Your answer is nonsense.

You do know that iOS 11 was released in conjunction with the new iPhone 8, right? Sonos needs to configure the tuning for the new hardware in the iPhone 8, and Apple never gives those out for beta testing.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Your answer is nonsense.

You do know that iOS 11 was released in conjunction with the new iPhone 8, right? Sonos needs to configure the tuning for the new hardware in the iPhone 8, and Apple never gives those out for beta testing.

Huh?
One word: wrong.
They give sizes for cases, and dummy units for hw+sw solutions like Sonos.

Do you work for sonos? Or Apple?
Interesting. I was aware they share sizes for makers of cases, but this is the first I've heard of dummy hardware units being shared with anyone. Can you point me to more information about that, please?
How exactly would "dummy hardware" be useful to test actual hardware like a microphone? :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I suspect "dummy" is the operative word................