Answered

IOS 11 and TruePlay

• 20 September 2017
  • 97 replies

After updating to IOS 11 TruePlay doesn’t work!
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 September 2017, 23:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

97 replies

It takes a little while for Sonos to tune Trueplay for a new iOS release. It will be here in a bit.
When is it likely to be released?
Badge
Thanks for starting this thread. I just received two new Play 1's and can't tune them. ETA?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We're working on getting the iOS 11 software certified for tuning Sonos players for Trueplay. We haven't announced a timeline just yet, but it shouldn't take too long. We'll be getting it out as soon as we make sure it's all set and ready.

If you've already tuned your players, they will be just fine after you update to iOS 11. Otherwise, you'll need to use a device that hasn't updated to that version to run Trueplay tuning for the time being.

Edit: 10/4 As of Sonos 8.0 iOS 11 is working for Trueplay.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Thanks for starting this thread. I just received two new Play 1's and can't tune them. ETA?It's been 2 days since iOS 11 came out, that's a mighty unlucky window you fell into.
I just fell into it as well! Hard to believe
I just fell into it as well! Hard to believe

Why is it hard to believe? iOS changes require Sonos to re-certify the Trueplay tuning algorithms to any changing software and/or new hardware. That requires time to get correct, as stated by the Sonos rep above. In the meantime, Trueplay still works for any device not running iOS 11.
Well, I´ve been using the iOS11 betas since July, so could the Sonos developer team have done. They easily could, and should, be ready with the update in time for release. It´s not like iOS releases around mid september is a surprise for anyone.
Sigh. :8
Well, I´ve been using the iOS11 betas since July, so could the Sonos developer team have done. They easily could, and should, be ready with the update in time for release. It´s not like iOS releases around mid september is a surprise for anyone.
a) Beta Software vs. Final Release, we are talking here about two different things.
b) Only private individuals are eligible for beta testing; Sonos, however, is a so called legal person.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I don't have iOS devices but would have thought companies such as Sonos would have access to new OS's before Joe Public so they're ready at release tbh.
Sure, it's 'only' Trueplay but what if it was a bigger 'incompatibility' that broke it?
It's not necessarily the new iOS that has to be tuned, it's the new hardware that comes with the new version of iOS. It's more likely the microphone in the new iPhone 8 which has to be calibrated for Trueplay. So Sonos may have access to an iOS 11 beta, but I doubt Apple is handing out betas of their hardware just to be left on a bar someplace (again).

Note the same thing happened with the iPhone 7, which was not coincidental with an iOS release.

b) Only private individuals are eligible for beta testing; Sonos, however, is a so called legal person.

Err app developers have had access to the ios betas, rc and gold master all along.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
And what is your opinion on Sonos having free access to all the new Apple devices before their offical release day? Do you know Apple gave Sonos all their new devices months ago?
Do you possibly think the device does the sound listening and the software the manipulation? Should you think this then maybe share your thoughts as to how Sonos could have done this without access to device microphones?
Sprinkling unicorn tears and fairy dust about does not exist in the real world.

Likely “fix”date and a new software release?

Howabout at the time if the big announcement on 5th October? Would that sound reasonable, sensible and no magic dust involved?
And what is your opinion on Sonos having free access to all the new Apple devices before their offical release day?

The OP question was about trueplay and ios11 on their current apple device, not an unreleased iphone .

Err app developers have had access to the ios betas, rc and gold master all along.

Yes, small third party developers; freelancers.
Big corps, small corps, any corp.
As a sneak peek for competitors?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
What insertusernamehere said.
No mention was made of new hardware, just an update of iOS (which, as I said, I'd have thought certain developers would have had access to).
As I said, more than likely the delay is due to configuring the iPhone 8 hardware. Since the iPhone 8 and iOS 11 are coinciding releases, it makes sense from a release efficiency standpoint that the iOS 11 functionality is also delayed.
(which, as I said, I'd have thought certain developers would have had access to).

Yup they would have had access to releases to prepare their app since the first developer release. Whether it's an alpha or beta doesn't matter.

Sonos waiting for the iPhone 8 release is pretty f'd given they could have been working on ios11 +current hardware for months and have just run a successful sale where customers would presumably like to tune their new speakers now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Sonos waiting for the iPhone 8 release is pretty f'd given they could have been working on ios11 +current hardware for months and have just run a successful sale where customers would presumably like to tune their new speakers now.

My company always cautions our Apple device users upon the release of a new OS version because many (most?) apps are not immediately updated.

All things considered, it'd be nice if the app was ready, but if we sanity check this situation... there is no one who has to have iOS 11.

*yawn*

Agreed. I simply lack the energy to have such trivial things upset me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
And what is your opinion on Sonos having free access to all the new Apple devices before their offical release day?

The OP question was about trueplay and ios11 on their current apple device, not an unreleased iphone .

Which is the iPhone 8 which launches iOS 11. Trueplay does not work with 11. New devices released coinciding with that. The point stands. Sonos will have to test new devices for Trueplay.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
(which, as I said, I'd have thought certain developers would have had access to).

Yup they would have had access to releases to prepare their app since the first developer release. Whether it's an alpha or beta doesn't matter.

And 11 was released on Tuesday...!!!!!!!!

So that would only affect customers well after their sucessful sales campaign.

It will be here. Patience.

Or, in the space a two weeks there is a release to keep Trueplay happy, then another for Alexa, then another for...

What do you think works best?

And 11 was released on Tuesday...!!!!!!!!

Yes, did you know that

It will be here. Patience.

Something something Audible Alexa third party app support
:8