Answered

IOS 11 and TruePlay

• 20 September 2017
  • 97 replies

After updating to IOS 11 TruePlay doesn’t work!
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 September 2017, 23:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

97 replies

It takes a little while for Sonos to tune Trueplay for a new iOS release. It will be here in a bit.
Well, I´ve been using the iOS11 betas since July, so could the Sonos developer team have done. They easily could, and should, be ready with the update in time for release. It´s not like iOS releases around mid september is a surprise for anyone.
As has been stated before, the likely issue isn't the software that they would have had their hands on, it's the hardware, which Apple wouldn't share with anyone at all.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with why Sonos could not be prepared for Trueplay tuning to continue working on existing hardware (like an iPhone 6S) once updated to iOS11 (as has been stated before.)
Okay that's difficult I don't have any none ios11 equipment

IOS 11 is fine, it's only the iPhone 8 that is not ready yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We're working on getting the iOS 11 software certified for tuning Sonos players for Trueplay. We haven't announced a timeline just yet, but it shouldn't take too long. We'll be getting it out as soon as we make sure it's all set and ready.

If you've already tuned your players, they will be just fine after you update to iOS 11. Otherwise, you'll need to use a device that hasn't updated to that version to run Trueplay tuning for the time being.

Edit: 10/4 As of Sonos 8.0 iOS 11 is working for Trueplay.
I just fell into it as well! Hard to believe

Why is it hard to believe? iOS changes require Sonos to re-certify the Trueplay tuning algorithms to any changing software and/or new hardware. That requires time to get correct, as stated by the Sonos rep above. In the meantime, Trueplay still works for any device not running iOS 11.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I don't have iOS devices but would have thought companies such as Sonos would have access to new OS's before Joe Public so they're ready at release tbh.
Sure, it's 'only' Trueplay but what if it was a bigger 'incompatibility' that broke it?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
And what is your opinion on Sonos having free access to all the new Apple devices before their offical release day? Do you know Apple gave Sonos all their new devices months ago?
Do you possibly think the device does the sound listening and the software the manipulation? Should you think this then maybe share your thoughts as to how Sonos could have done this without access to device microphones?
Sprinkling unicorn tears and fairy dust about does not exist in the real world.

Likely “fix”date and a new software release?

Howabout at the time if the big announcement on 5th October? Would that sound reasonable, sensible and no magic dust involved?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
What insertusernamehere said.
No mention was made of new hardware, just an update of iOS (which, as I said, I'd have thought certain developers would have had access to).
(which, as I said, I'd have thought certain developers would have had access to).

Yup they would have had access to releases to prepare their app since the first developer release. Whether it's an alpha or beta doesn't matter.

Sonos waiting for the iPhone 8 release is pretty f'd given they could have been working on ios11 +current hardware for months and have just run a successful sale where customers would presumably like to tune their new speakers now.
Badge
After updating to IOS 11 TruePlay doesn’t work! I am just unlucky, updated to ios 11 this morning, got a Play 3 this afternoon and cant tune!
The fun I’ve got is I have a playbar Sub 2 Play 5 2nd gens and 2 Play 1s I just got and can’t tune them grrr every room has a red dot
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You don't need to be a developer to have access to the beta software. Any person with Apple hardware can join their public beta program and have access to the beta software (usually they get access 7-10 days after the release to registered developers). And it only costs $99/yr to become a registered developer.

iOS 11 has been in testing since the annual Apple developer's conference in June.

I don't recall this delay when iOS 10 was released last year, but do recall it took some time for the then new iPhone 7s to be added as devices that could be used for TruePlay tuning. So I understand why it will be some time before the iPhone 8s, just released to the public, will be approved hardware (if in fact they meet the requirements) but not why iOS 11 broke the functionality for previously approved hardware.

Flame suit on....
All I can say is goodness help us if we want Sonos to support Trueplay on the iPhone X any time soon after it's released. Better keep you old iPhone just in case 😃
Not having TruePlay isn't the end of the world. Everything else still works, including the speakers. The sound as delivered is stellar, and chances are you won't even hear the difference after tuning. Enjoy them as they are for now.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just fell into it as well! Hard to believe

Why is it hard to believe? iOS changes require Sonos to re-certify the Trueplay tuning algorithms to any changing software and/or new hardware. That requires time to get correct, as stated by the Sonos rep above. In the meantime, Trueplay still works for any device not running iOS 11.

Because how long has the beta been out? Did SONOS start developing/testing for iOS last week?
Your answer is nonsense.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
All I can say is goodness help us if we want Sonos to support Trueplay on the iPhone X any time soon after it's released. Better keep you old iPhone just in case :D

Oh, panic. Let me practice tearing my hair and chewing tneough a few tables in disgust.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
After updating to IOS 11 TruePlay doesn’t work!

I tuned my playbase and then ios 11 dropped, now I have 2 PLAY 1's that won't tune. How affected will the sound be? I'm not sure how to control the volume of them, do I need to manually use the volume on each one or are they paired together?

Trueplay is a process that optimises the sound of your speakers with the surroundings. The Play 1s will work perfectly well and in ALL other respects function is not affected by whether or not Trueplay is performed
iPhone 8 Plus here as well running the latest OS update. It says it's unavailable for my device despite the support in this thread indicating otherwise. The FAQ page about tuning states otherwise as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Oh that is wierd, TruePlay should be working fully since Oct 4 for iOS 11. Hopefully, an employee will be able to see this post ASAP.
The reason it's not showing up is due to that "?" where SUB should be. Looks like the player might have dropped or is having trouble. Can you restart the SUB and see if it's showing up again there?

Once all of the players as part of that room as listed fine, you'll see Trueplay again.
I would like to tune my new SONOS installation; when can I use the iPhone 8

Sonos has to calibrate for the new hardware in the iPhone 8. It will be here soon. In the meantime, Trueplay is available on any other iOS device and will give you the same results.
Any ETA when support for the new iphones are available? iPhone 8/X
When is it likely to be released?
Badge
Thanks for starting this thread. I just received two new Play 1's and can't tune them. ETA?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Thanks for starting this thread. I just received two new Play 1's and can't tune them. ETA?It's been 2 days since iOS 11 came out, that's a mighty unlucky window you fell into.