Answered

Indexing of new music is very slow!

• 23 February 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +2
Hi everyone.

Indexing new music takes 30 - 40 minutes now.
It was much faster before, if i remember correct it only took 1 - 5 minutes to add new music to my library before.
I have a new Synology nas DS216play.

I'm using Sonos-controller for PC when i update my library.

All help would be highly appreciated!

Regards
Edvardsen
icon

Best answer by jgatie 4 March 2017, 15:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I echo Edvardsen's point exactly. The change happened the last time I updated the controller I believe, currently at version 7.1. It's almost like the update algorithm is forcing the system to look at every entry in the source library, rather than just updating what it sees to have changed.:? old play 5 w/ pc controller
If your Sonos units are all of older vintage, the indexing process will take longer. The older models no longer have the capacity to store a list of previously scanned tracks, so they do a complete scan. If you own at least one newer model, the scan is done there and then propogated to the rest of the system.
Badge +1
I can only concur with jgatie, after speaking with one of the SONOS Technical support guys on Thursday. I have an older model of the SONOS Connect and Boost, from about 4 years ago and started having problems earlier this year, when as you stated, adding a couple of new CD's worth of tracks would take anything up to 12 hours for me, as opposed to 5 or so minutes before. As long as it is adding the new tracks, that's okay, I usually set it to run overnight ...so all the new tracks are there the following morning. Ii really don't want to spend £400 or so on upgrading my system, which for most parts works extremely well.
Thanks jgatie and Severac!! That makes complete sense, i just need to plan for the extra time... Thanks Again!

Bill
I have a 1.5tb NAS drive which I set to scan every night at 2am, never have any problems
Badge +2
Hi all.

And thanks for answering my topic.

So it is because i have an old system? That make sens i think..
I have a Sonos CONNECT that i have connected to my amp.
And i also have a ZonePlayer S5.

How can i get the update procedure faster?
Do i have to invest in a newer sonos system? (and what sonos gear do you recommend?)

Regards
Edvardsen
You would need to purchase a single new model. A Play:1 or Play:5 2nd Gen. would do it.
Badge +2
You would need to purchase a single new model. A Play:1 or Play:5 2nd Gen. would do it.

Ok! 🙂 Thanks for the tips!