in the past month i can not play different music in different rooms

Play different music in different rooms

To play different music on different Sonos speakers, you just need to select what you want each speaker to play and group the speakers you want to play the same music together. Once grouped, you can select what you want each group of speakers, or singular speaker to play.

As mentioned above, speakers are accessed by tapping the Systems tab at the bottom of the app. From here you can group them, or ungroup them.

this seems to no longer work. i have tried to find a solution on here  but to no avail, any ideas/ solution from anyone would be appreciated

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So what exactly happens, or doesn’t happen, when you try it? This is a basic function of Sonos, and no-one else has reported this issue.

This is definitely still possible. You need to be more specific about how it is failing on your system. 

basically I can not play different music in different rooms.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

basically I can not play different music in different rooms.

But WHY NOT? Literally millions of others can do this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state: “To play different music on different Sonos speakers, you just need to select what you want each speaker to play and group the speakers you want to play the same music together. Once grouped, you can select what you want each group of speakers, or singular speaker to play.”

Do I understand it right that you first group speakers (which is what you do when you wnat them to play the same music) to have them all play different music (so they’re not a group after all)? Why?

As asked above: what happens if you tap the system tab, that is different from earlier (and our systems)?

I have the same problem. When I try to play other music in a second sonos music in other room, the music that is playing first in other sonos speaker is stopping. When I try to play the misic again in the first seeker its stopping in the second seeker and so on. There i a solutions for this problem?

Have you submitted a diagnostic, and called Sonos about it? Without any information, my thought would be some kind of wifi interference blocking the ability of the speakers to talk to each other, but there could be other issue that might be revealed by the data in the diagnostic. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you using Spotify Connect or the Sonos app?

Do you have to have 3 or more speakers for this option to work? 

Do you have to have 3 or more speakers for this option to work? 

No, the 3 or more requirement applies to pre-defined groups.  A 2 room setup only has one way of grouping, so pre-defining a group makes no sense.  See this link for how to group rooms:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe as a starting place try selecting a different Sonos Radio station for each speaker. 

If that works it isn’t your hardware causing the issue but something music service related.

I have an arc + sub in my living room for my main entertainment center. Out on the patio I have an Sonos amp running a set of outdoor passive speakers (non Sonos)

Is it possible to play different media on each set? Say a football game on the soundbar and music on the amp powered speakers? I can play the same media on both, just can’t figure out how to play different media. 

Here are some tips on Groups

I had the same problem, however my problem was I had S1 & S2 units on my system. If I was playing something from Spotify on S1 system then tried to play something else from Spotify on the S2 system, the S1 unit would stop playing and vis-versa.  Hope this makes sense and was helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That is standard Spotify behavior: you can only use an account on one Sonos system.