Improve the "Information" screen for the Local Library.

• 31 August 2012
  • 24 replies

* allow me to access the Information screen from items in the queue, or on the Now Playing screen. * have the Browse The artist facility include composite albums where the artist contributes tracks, but doesn't own the whole album * allow me to access track tag data not indexed by Sonos; ie. Genre, Composer, Conductor, Lyrics, Date Recorded, Date Ripped, Original Title, Involved People, .... If I have taken the trouble to tag my music with a this data it would be good if the Sonos controllers could display it back to me. * allow link across to Artist or Album data stored in public places such as wikipedia or Last.fm (eg. http://www.last.fm/music/Gotan+Project or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotan_Project or the same at the album level) I have difficulty seeing what value it delivers in its current form. ... I have a computer in my hand ... it has an "information" button, but it just seems to a lame little circular facility showing just what I could see already see, but didn't answer any of my questions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Yes! I, too, have gone to great effort to ensure that the ID3 tags for all of my music are correct and complete, and I have several tools with which I can view this information on a Windows PC. But the Information button in the iPad app shows only Track, Artist, Album, and Cover artwork (data that was already shown on the path to get to that button). This device has gobs of real estate -- please provide a means to display *ALL* ID3 tags.
Userlevel 1
Also an A-Z side bar, like an address book for finding artists or songs. My library has many many songs and artist. Need to be able to get to the T's quicker than swiping through from A every time.
Badge
Also, make it show the audio format of the track.
Userlevel 1
Good point. I appear to be scrolling far too much, just to get closer to the searched for entry.
Badge +18
Thank you for sharing the idea, Barry. And thanks to everyone else for the contributions.
An importing thing missing and I have read it many times, is the year the song came out. Sorting the albums on release date would be a big improvement. I saw this already two or three years ago when I bought my first Sonos. It's a shame it's not yet implemented. I also did a lot of work adding the tags in my library, hours of work going lost in Sonos. Maybe an idea for Sonos is to implement an option with a simple .txt file or something equal. When indexing the library through a PC or Mac controller, Sonos will read out all available tags, and write it into a file, which it drops on the hard-drive in the folder of the album. Then with the info button, the controllers can read out the file and show all info about the artist or album. These files would be very small, so Sonos controllers could quickly read them out over the network. The PC Program "Album Player" uses this aproach, and it works good. Or going a little further: My library is stored on a NAS. Sonos could create it's own folder there (of my choosing) and put all files needed inside. And then the next step, being able to "edit" these files through the PC or MAC controllers. I don't know it's correct but I think I have read somewhere that it had something to do with memory limitations in the Sonos hardware. Either, being able to have very large libraries and some have (not me), or being able to show more info but limiting the amounts of albums in a library. I'm sure all people with their own libraries and using Sonos, have their own PC or MAC. Or (I'm on the roll here) bring out a new hardware component to add this. A bridge+ or something. Creating a bigger memory for the system.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
And bit rate please!
It would also be very useful, particularly to those of us cleaning their libraries, if the actual path of a track could be shown. Now when I find mistakes in the metadata there is no way of relating that back to the actual file.
definitely support this! am converting gradually from mp3 to lossless and would favour higher bit rate albums when searching
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Don't understand this comment. My CR200 and the ipod software already offer this. Am I missing the point?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Sonos already uses your ID3 tags for the limited info provided (track title, number, artist, album). The problem is, there's no way to request the other tagging information (and the unused "info" screen would be the perfect place). My guess is that performance, memory and clean UI concerns have led Sonos to limit the system to only caring about the basic tagging info. I'm sure we'd all like to have the option of drilling down and fetching all the tags for a particular track (and preferably also an album/playlist for things like album year and total running time) from our Sonos systems, rather than having to go off to some other app like iTunes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Sonos already uses your ID3 tags for the limited info provided (track title, number, artist, album). The problem is, there's no way to request the other tagging information (and the unused "info" screen would be the perfect place). My guess is that performance, memory and clean UI concerns have led Sonos to limit the system to only caring about the basic tagging info. I'm sure we'd all like to have the option of drilling down and fetching all the tags for a particular track (and preferably also an album/playlist for things like album year and total running time) from our Sonos systems, rather than having to go off to some other app like iTunes.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Please add "Go to track in library" function from track info! I cant seem to be able to move from a track entry and its info to where that track is in the library. That would be really great, if I need to fix the metadata, for instance, I could then know where the problem is. Luuks suggestion to show the path is also good, but actually moving to it, in the library, would be very, very useful.
Please display track time in all lists applicable. Please display Album date (if not track date). Please allow use of these for search and sorting.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I can think of a few reasons (technical effort, clean minimalist design, deliberately hiding details, saving users from their untagged files, feature priorities) why Sonos still shows such limited meta data. We know that memory is limited so holding a dozen tags for every track in memory just in case is a big ask, but Sonos already gets extra track metadata (the artwork) for the current track/album on request. We know how this feature should work (basically, see iTunes), and there's already space on the user interface (the unused info screen) to put the tagging info without cluttering that nice clean Sonos design. I remember Napster feeding the info screen (Spotify doesn't). The current workaround (go off to iTunes etc to get library details) is a joke. It would be nice to get a response from Sonos on this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Please add "Go to track in library" function from track info! I cant seem to be able to move from a track entry and its info to where that track is in the library. That would be really great, if I need to fix the metadata, for instance, I could then know where the problem is. Luuks suggestion to show the path is also good, but actually moving to it, in the library, would be very, very useful.
This one is HUGE. Please please please please please add it. Navigability FTW!
I endorse this request, and will try to express it another way: a) Please provide a sortable data grid or table like WMP and iTunes to browse and select music. The current hierarchical selection process is awfully limiting. b) Please provide a way to see more metadata about the current song than just the artist, album, and song name.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
While I love the richness of iTunes as a database, I'd actually say that the "sortable grid" as a navigation/playback screen (for anything other than a smart search) is over-complex, and doesn't really serve the key use case of "I want to listen to this song/artist/album/playlist". Sonos's simple "find music quickly, drag it onto the playing queue" approach works pretty well. There is an issue with the limited info you can get back from the tags in the tracks in your library (and other music services). How Sonos might change navigating and sorting through the tracks you might want to play is a whole other discussion.
1) To be able to filter tracks or albums by year 2) When viewing albums by a particular artist, for the albums to be listed by year, not alphabetically 3) When viewing "info and option", for the year to be displayed at the moment the "info" screen doesn't show any "new " information and is circular
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'd love to be able to access composer information by pressing the "i" button.  
Badge
Here is my list - some of which have already been mentioned: 1. Year display and sort 2. Bit rate display and file type 3. total number of tracks and total time in a playlist 4. total number of tracks, artists, albums etc. in the library 5. Allow star rating for tracks and search by it. 6. Allow number of times played for a track and search by it. 7. browse music library by album cover art (like Apple's coverflow) - not teeny, tiny icons. This is especially nice for those of us with high-quality album cover art. 8. A way to disable adding duplicate tracks to a playlist. It is possible to add the same track to a long playlist multiple times and not know it.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Title Search by year of publication. Is it possible to incorporate a search function in the app that lists all the recorded years?
example:
Sonos App: Music / Library / YEAR / Albums / ...
Items should appear all recorded dates. After one year of selection, all albums should appear from the vintage. So you could play songs by a particular vintage.
Should add Star Rating, song length and Genre to the library. That data is already in the MP# file.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Silly forum software landed you on a four year dead topic...

I am wary about asking for things to be added to the music library, space is limited in the Sonos devices and the more stuff they add the less room there is for more songs.

There is a hard limit of 65K songs on a Sonos system but there is also a variable limit that is based on how much space it takes to store each track (discussed in detail elsewhere on the forum) that has reportedly bit folks with around 30K songs if I recall the post correctly.