Imported Playlist types

• 19 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 55 replies

I am successfully importing playlists into my desktop Sonos app with a *.m3u extension.  I would like to be able to also import playlists with a *.m3u8 extension, which is an updated version of the older one.  Sonos will not import these.  Am I missing something or is this “normal?”  Both versions are pretty old, so I’m surprised Sonos doesn’t recognize the latter.  If this is normative, will you add it to “new features” in a future release?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I don't believe Sonos supports Unicode (m3u8). Or if it does, it doesn't pick up files with that file extension. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Yep.  What other playlist types does it accept?  And can I get the m3u8 added as a feature?

M3U, WPL and PLS

You could try renaming the file to M3U, so at least it gets picked up by the library indexer, but Sonos might not understand the contents.

As for getting M3U8 support added, you can ask but library music makes up a small share of user listening (supposedly less than 10% and declining) so feature enhancements in that area may now be few and far between.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Do most folks use streaming services?  How do users access their personal music library?

Evidently the vast majority -- especially of new customers -- now use streaming services (and radio) exclusively.

I’m an earlyish Sonos user, so like others of that era I grew up with a local FLAC library. My M3U playlists were generated on Windows and Sonos deals with them just fine. If you have trouble getting Sonos to read your files you could always try opening each in Notepad and saving as ANSI.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have unicode characters in some of my song names.  I was trying to preserve them….

Unicode file names? An M3U is just a flat list of file (path) names.

The tags in the files themselves are separate. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Yes.  Unicode characters that appear in a few file names of songs, not the metadata.    And I get an error message when I save the playlist as an M3U that these will not save “correctly”.  That’s true.