Answered

I'm on Android app 10.3 (old S1 kit) & need to stay-What Windows10 version should I install on PCs ?

• 10 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Following THIS POST which is now closed for comment:

I’m in a similar place with old S1 kit and v10.3 of the android app on my Nexus7 mkII tablets, which keeps me going just fine.

I’ve got a couple of Windows 10 64-bit machines that could do with a Windows Sonos controller on-board
- but I still need to avoid any system updates that would make my Nexus 7mkII controllers useless.

Do I need an old Windows version to prevent updates ? 
If so, which version and where can I download it to install?

For info:
On this desktop, I am still running the Windows controller v 10.3
The laptop has no Sonos software.
I can see the Sonos site has an S1 Windows download (currently SonosDesktopController1126.exe)

I also have 
SonosDesktopController103_0675797637.exe
and
SonosDesktopController1061_3385173777.exe
and
SonosDesktopController112.exe

files available.

icon

Best answer by controlav 11 May 2021, 15:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @windbag 

Thanks for your post!

There is no guarantee whatsoever that you will be able to add a Desktop Controller to your system without being asked to update - even the slightest mismatch is software will prompt this to happen.

Additionally, we don’t keep old versions of the software around.

I would presume that SonosDesktopController103_0675797637.exe is your best best, but you’ll be extremely lucky if it installs without an update.

In answer to your direct question, it won’t matter which version of Windows it is, as long as it’s supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try my Windows app (see profile), it will never update your system, guaranteed!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

There is no guarantee whatsoever that you will be able to add a Desktop Controller to your system without being asked to update - even the slightest mismatch is software will prompt this to happen.

I would presume that SonosDesktopController103_0675797637.exe is your best best, but you’ll be extremely lucky if it installs without an update.

Little surprised that the phrase “extremely lucky” is brought to bear here - either it should or it shouldn’t; luck should play no part.

One approach might be to disconnect the internet while I install

Or would it just try to update the system when the internet was back on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @windbag 

Little surprised that the phrase “extremely lucky” is brought to bear here - either it should or it shouldn’t; luck should play no part.

I would consider it luck if the SonosDesktopController103_0675797637.exe matches your system version exactly, as that’s what’s needed. All you’ve said of your system version is that it’s 10.3, which isn’t defined closely enough for me to make that call. Of course, it may be the reason you have that file in the first place.

One approach might be to disconnect the internet while I install

Or would it just try to update the system when the internet was back on?

If the App does not match the version of the system, the oldest version between the two will ask for an update. The fact that you happen to be offline at the time will not change this. Mismatching versions of app and system will not work with each other.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks for this suggestion controlav - had not known of it before.

Am trialling it.   First impression: Looks pretty good

An initial comment: the “individual volumes in a group” control was in a slightly obscure place (with other smaller icons) - why not near/associated with the main volume control & bigger to match? 
It is one of the controls we use all the time.

Is the install price per Win10 device or per Sonos system?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for this suggestion controlav - had not known of it before.

Am trialling it.   First impression: Looks pretty good

If you buy the app it will work on up to ten PCs/Xboxes that use the same Microsoft account. No limit to # of Sonos systems :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If you buy the app it will work on up to ten PCs/Xboxes that use the same Microsoft account. No limit to # of Sonos systems :-)

Thanks for that - I’ll check whether the other laptop is using my MS account. 

With all of the acreage of a full PC window, is there a way in the settings to always display the track times/progress bar in somewhere in the unoccupied room, like my old Sonos app does?

Yes, I know it can be had with a right-click (across the artwork display), but it is something I’m always needing to interrogate...

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @windbag 

There is no guarantee whatsoever that you will be able to add a Desktop Controller to your system without being asked to update -

I would consider it luck if the SonosDesktopController103_0675797637.exe matches your system version exactly, as that’s what’s needed. All you’ve said of your system version is that it’s 10.3, which isn’t defined closely enough for me to make that call. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I didn’t realise the build was a refinement of the “10.3”.

The build is 51166240

Would the Sonos ID help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @windbag 

Hi @windbag 

There is no guarantee whatsoever that you will be able to add a Desktop Controller to your system without being asked to update -

I would consider it luck if the SonosDesktopController103_0675797637.exe matches your system version exactly, as that’s what’s needed. All you’ve said of your system version is that it’s 10.3, which isn’t defined closely enough for me to make that call. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I didn’t realise the build was a refinement of the “10.3”.

The build is 51166240

Would the Sonos ID help?

No - it wouldn’t help, and it would get removed from your post as identifying information anyway.

As your build is 51166240 and the file you have is build 675797637, they’re not going to work with each other without updating to the latest version.