Question

I have lost all my playlists by resetting my controller. Is there any way of finding these as a lot were spotify?

• 23 November 2013
  • 48 replies

My Sonos app could not find the bridge or the Play 3 so I had to reset and when I added them again, all my music was gone. For the last 6 months I had been creating Sonos Playlists based on Spotify? Please help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Being able to backup all the settings of my system, including all 9 players and 4 controllers would be a big help. Especially when you have to re-enter paths, logins, usernames, passwords which were accumulated over the years. Very frustrating. I agree. Not acceptable.
Ditto. I would expect more from a wireless sound system. Should be a no brainer to store the settings in the cloud or locally.
Seriously Sonos... I have just reset my system in order to remove the bridge and use my Sonos Play:1 as a standalone speaker, but in doing so I have lost my Sonos Playlists which I had been building over the summer. Where was the warning message to let me know that this would happen? Not a happy customer. Having seriously considered almost buying the Play:5 speaker, i am now reconsidering whether this is such a good idea.
I too had this problem when I decided to connect a different Sonos box to the internet. As a result I now create all my playlists in Spotify so this is no longer a problem. You can create Spotify playlists directly from Sonos so no harder than if you were creating them in Sonos but the beauty is that your playlist is now held in the cloud by Spotify so available on any device, anywhere, when you log into Spotify. The only downside is your Spotify playlists can only come from Spotify and not personal libraries as you could in Sonos.
I totally agree that a warning message would shave been nice though!
Sonos, perhaps a future service for you, playlists held in the cloud??
Folks, this just happened and I am seriously pissed off!!! Something is going on with Sonos cause they are not keeping up with the technology program they are so reliant on for their very existence, i.e., Apple, internet companies, router manufacturers etc...

Worse yet, they are not listening to their customers even though they sound out surveys and what not supposedly looking for feedback. For example, why can't they do the following:
1) create an easy manner in which to back up all Sonos settings and playlists. In todays day and age, there's zero reason to lose anything as simple as this very limited information.
2) create a way for users to lock out other users from changing the stations. Yes, give someone (maybe the person who bought and paid of the system) the right to set up a four digit security code, when they have friends over and someone keeps taking the sound system hostage and changing the channel, or turing it up louder than it should be and risking blowing the speakers or pissing off the neighbors.
3) fix the connectivity. As owner users we are having to connect to our network way too much, therefore leading to the reason we are complaining on this forum over point #1 in the first place.

I have had nothing but problems with connecting with my network the last few months... We own three Play5's, three Play1's, and a Soundbar with Sub... We use iPhones, iPads, and MacBook Air computers as controllers for our system...

Lastly, for Brian from Sonos to claim that had the user who experienced the big FAIL with his system and lost his playlists, should have come on here first, that's unfair and insensitive because I spent hours on the Sonos help and support page, and because I followed each step perfectly, I lost all of my settings and playlists as well.

Show some business sense and sensitivity to your loyal customers Sonos, and take responsibility for what area clear flaws in your system. If you took only a small amount of the money your system is generating in gross sales, and applied a tenth of that amount to working out the bugs that continually haunt us, you'd have less and less of these diatribes on here, and we'd spend more time talking about how cool Sonos is and what playlists are worth sharing, etc. etc.

Disappointed yet loyal,

Rich Reynolds
The replies by the Sonos staff, and many of the "experts" here, are condescending and non-responsive to consumer demand.

People having this problem will not know to do any of the things they are criticized for not following.

Deleting entire playlists which took months or years to create is something which is not allowed to happen without clear, repeat warnings that proceeding will delete key aspects of the customer's library and Sonos system.

The more important issue is the continuous and repeated demand by your customers for Sonos to use AVAILABLE technology to allow storage of the songs in Sonos (playlist) in an external drive, a cloud, or any other location which will not be lost regardless of what is done with the Sonos player.

After all, Sonos is just that: only a player. It does not supply the music. It is the customer's music. People buy Sonos to consolidate their songs into lists and play them on a great sounding system----but those customers want the ability to protect those lists. Sonos can do this, so please listen to them. Thank you.
Hi there Graham,

Unfortunately, the entire system was reset, then the Sonos Playlists have been erased. Sonos stored these playlists on each one of your Sonos players. If one player is reset, but another player is not, then when the first player rejoins the system is automatically syncs up and copies the playlists from the other player(s). However, if all players in the system are reset, then they will lose the Sonos Playlist data.

If you created any of the playlists within a Spotify app (or created them in Sonos under the Spotify Playlists menus) then you should be able to access them by adding your Spotify account to Sonos again.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Why would the app wipe out all the old Sonos playlists? That does not make sense. I have lost a lot of valuable playlist information if this is true.
Hi there Graham,

Unfortunately, the entire system was reset, then the Sonos Playlists have been erased. Sonos stored these playlists on each one of your Sonos players. If one player is reset, but another player is not, then when the first player rejoins the system is automatically syncs up and copies the playlists from the other player(s). However, if all players in the system are reset, then they will lose the Sonos Playlist data.

If you created any of the playlists within a Spotify app (or created them in Sonos under the Spotify Playlists menus) then you should be able to access them by adding your Spotify account to Sonos again.

Thanks.

Hi Ryan, I changed the component connected to the router but as a result had to set up all 4 Sonos components as if it was a new system, linking my Spotify etc all over. I then discovered all my previous Sonos playlists had been lost. Can I recover them somehow?
Hi there Graham,

Thanks.

This is a crazy stupid setting. Sonos should have a way to keep or restore the playlists. Have you guys heard of the work back-up?? Perhaps that would be a great feature to add to you development list.
Hi there Graham,

Thanks.

I've had Sonos for over a year now, and every time my iPhone wouldn't recognize the bridge, I'd reset the controller and all my playlists/music library would stay intact. This happened many,many times with no problem.  This time however, it erased everything. Pretty weird. 
How about Dropbox integration to store playlists and settings?
Just adding a bridge in that manner would NOT erase everything, all you had to do was add the bridge to the existing system and everything would have been fine, instead it appears you added the bridge as a NEW system and then moved the Play:5 to that system, in which case it will wipe everything because you've set up a NEW system. I've added three additional products to my Sonos system since I started, including a bridge and I've never lost anything, because I read the instructions, unlike just about everybody in this thread.
Jamie_4,

SONOS is 2.4GHz. Remove power from both the BRIDGE and the single speaker that you worked with. Wire one of the remaining speakers to your network and verify that everything is working -- DO NOT FACTORY RESET ANYTHING AT THIS POINT!

Once these items are working, factory reset BRIDGE and the single speaker, then add them to your system. Be careful to add these units to your system, do not set up a new system. (In my opinion, the menu selections here are very confusing and a wrong selection can result in trashing the playlists)

Note that BRIDGE power supplies can fail and become intermittent. If BRIDGE does not seem to be operating properly, check the power supply output voltage if you can. The voltage should be in the 5.1V range. If you don't have a voltmeter, watch the network port lights. The lights should be active only when a cable is inserted. (However, active port lights are not proof of proper operation)
The app is still trying to connect to the new Sonos system you created. Reset the app and the associate it with the "old" system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
it would be good idea if meta data such as playlists etc. can be backed-up in some way so that they can be restored if required.
Indeed. In my mind it's a bloody shame Sonos doesn't / can't / won't privide such a basic functionality. You might want to consider adding your vote here.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi there Graham,

Thanks.

Not necessarily true. If one is reset, especially if you're in the middle of an update, you can end up with the rest of your players and devices also losing the playlists and then you end up with nothing. Even if all you were trying to do is get one device out of many to reset and rejoin the network.

It's been suggested many times in the past that there should be an advanced function to backup or export your settings and playlists so you can do a reset and then pull your playlists back in. It could save you hours of time. Hours and hours.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there Graham,

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there Graham,

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there Graham,

Thanks.

Hi Antony, the Sonos app does not store the Sonos Playlists. These are stored on the Sonos players themselves. Resetting the app will not clear any Sonos Playlists, but factory resetting a Sonos player will.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there Graham,

Thanks.

Hi Hamish, unfortunately they cannot be recovered in this case. The reason is that the playlists are stored on each Sonos player based on its household. When units are reset or joined to another household, they clear the information from the previous household. When the units were set up again, they detected new household information and cleared out the old info. Since all units are on the new household, they no longer have the Sonos Playlists from the previous household I'm afraid.
just tried to replace a router, and lost everything as well.  The startup screen should contain a simple warning, how hard is that to update?
just tried to replace a router, and lost everything as well.  The startup screen should contain a simple warning, how hard is that to update?
Same here, luckily I didn't have loads of playlists. An export option should be made.
Hi Stuart.  I agree entirely that an option to export playlists is a desirable feature.  But replacing a router (if that is what you are saying you did from the comment you are cross-referencing) should not, in itself, lose playlists as there should be no need to factory reset all or indeed any Sonos components. 
Me too - lost all my play lists - Sonos sucks right now!! 
I have every sympathy for you in losing your playlists.  But resetting a controller does not in itself lose playlists - only if in the process you choose to "set up new Sonos system" rather than to "add to existing system".  So maybe it's a little harsh to say that "Sonos sucks". 

It might have been better if you had come on here for advice before attempting this, rather than after you have made the mistake, to complain.