Question

how to turn off

• 16 December 2013
  • 10 replies

I operate my sonos from my mac and/or galaxy lll. When I use the quit sonos command or drop down, the music still plays, although the Sonos app closes. I either need turn off the volume, or unplug the speaker. What am I missing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

.....if you had them over the house you would use a bit of power even when they are doing nothing .

The price that we pay for convenience and longer life for the electronics...
Thank you Stuart , the sonos play 1 gives a good sound quality shame they can't reduce the power used in idle mode , I only have two speakers but if you had them over the house you would use a bit of power even when they are doing nothing .
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Details of the power use when idle are at this link.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/260/~/sonos-power-consumption-when-idle

A number of things will happen if you switch the unit off at the wall:-

1) The Play will need to boot up and establish a connection to the network. This may take 20 or 30 seconds
2) Any grouping you had will be lost, last played radio station, Queue lost (maybe)
3) Depending on how often you are switching the unit off and on you will be compromising it's life due to thermal and electrical stressing of the components
I've seen much about the power usage of Play 1 in idle mode but it's all very confusing , can anyone give a definitive answer without all the technobabble ??? also what happens if you just switch them off at the plug , and on again when needed ?
Use the mains switch to power it off, more elegant and safe than pulling out the plug. Nothing else is needed to gracefully shut it down. When you turn the mains power on again, it will take the reboot time of a couple of minutes to become available for use again. All settings will stay, except the queue that you will have to reload. And any grouping done will have to be redone.
"Network appliance?" This is not part of an IT department infrastructure. It's a music player! If I'm going to be gone all day, sleeping for the night, etc., then I should not have to have the device on. It's not doing anything other than consuming electricity, wastefully I might add. If it's truly a network appliance, then there needs to be a way of gracefully shutting it down and powering it off. Pulling out the plug is so inelegant a solution for such a sleek looking device.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Hi Kat,

I believe that once you close the App it is no longer running on your device (Phone, Tablet, or PC). The SONOS player itself will continue to stay powered on at all times but will go into an idle mode after a few minutes.

The reason the music still plays is because it doesn't actually stream from the App itself, the SONOS player receives the stream directly, the App only controls the system (unless playing content locally) so when you close it you are only closing the controller aspect and the music will continue to stream from the Internet directly to the player.

If you are streaming local content that is saved on your device then the music should stop playing after about one minute as the players buffer the song constantly to avoid drop-outs. Once the player reaches the end of the buffer it will stop playing the music due to the controller being closed which disables the player from accessing your device.

Best regards!
Hello,

The Sonos components are network appliances and not meant to be powered off. They will go into idle power usage when not in use. Before closing your Sonos Controller be sure to pause or stop the playback. You can also accomplish this by pressing the mute-play/pause button on your Sonos component(s) that are playing.

Regards,
Gordon

I purchased 2 speakers and the boost this is amazing I am buying atleast 5 more speakers for the whole house awesome idea great product
Hi Gordon et al,

We've had the same issue.  We quit the Sonos app and turn off all devices with Sonos (e.g., iPhone, MacBook) and the music still plays.  

So if we hit the pause button to stop the music from playing, quit the app and turn off devices, is the app actually still running over our network albeit in an "idle" or sleep like mode?  If that's the case, is there a security vulnerability or risk?

thx.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello,

The Sonos components are network appliances and not meant to be powered off. They will go into idle power usage when not in use. Before closing your Sonos Controller be sure to pause or stop the playback. You can also accomplish this by pressing the mute-play/pause button on your Sonos component(s) that are playing.

Regards,
Gordon