Question

How to switch albums view from tiled view to list view in new phone app?

Where is the setting to view albums as a list instead of a tiled layout?

I can't find it.

I have a few artists with many, many albums and, when browsing through albums of these artists, having to scroll through the albums is an extremely lengthy and tedious process.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I've already complained about this, Sam. Apparently you have to use the 'Browse Folders' function to get this view - but then you can't use Search ... What sort of idiots wrote this software? It was rubbish before, and now it's worse.
Thanks for the info.  This is an unfortunate change in the app functionality.  It's hard to believe that they would make such a drastic change without an option to toggle between different views.  Guess I should've participated in the beta after all...
I hope Sonos listens and changes this silly functionality quickly I have 100's of albums and my iphone only shows 4 at a time now. Who thought this was better??
Userlevel 1
I was part of the beta testing and I commented a few times on the need to be able to toggle views. All I got back was a thank you for your feature request. Bit of a waste of time. I really do not like the new app.

Sonos now seem not like people with large collections of music; they seem to want to only appeal to the casual listener who subscribes to services like spotify. 

Sonos have a complete disregard for hires, no real support for large libraries and software that makes it difficult to browse an artist where you have more than four albums. 

It's getting time to invest in a new system that caters for proper music fans.
Userlevel 4
Yes the new app has taken a backward step here. Customers with classical collections for example have been completed dis-enfranchised by this reduction in functionality. Only the album search function produces a list view allowing sufficient text to be displayed to uniquely identify an 'album'.

Anyone wishing to support this better functionality in the new app should post in the following thread set up by Sonos to gauge support for this
New App Feedback - View More Artists / Albums

Sonos claim they're listening - I sincerely hope so.
Thanks for that link.  I've added my support to your post with the screen caps that perfectly demonstrates this problem with the new design update.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've also added comments to your excellent example.
Userlevel 2
Hoping for a solution to this problem.
I e-mailed Sonos about this problem. You may be interested in their answer:

"We love to hear your requests about improving the Album layout on the Android controller as it helps us in providing you with the best possible experience with our products. We are always listening and updating our products with feature enhancements and releases. I have forwarded your request on to our Product Management team to ensure the people that can make the difference view your request. "

This implies that they were not aware of this thread which is very disappointing.

Why don't Sonos staff respond here so we know what they are planning for the future.
Made the same comment a few days ago and got, word-for-word, the exact same, machine generated, answer. Looks like there are Artificial Intelligence robots back there handling these suggestions.  Hard to imagine  they are not paying more attention to these comments.
Userlevel 2
Made the same comment a few days ago and got, word-for-word, the exact same, machine generated, answer. Looks like there are Artificial Intelligence robots back there handling these suggestions.  Hard to imagine  they are not paying more attention to these comments.
That's too bad, I am very disappointed in Sonos, they just seem to not listen!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They made a lot of changes to most recent version that came out about a week ago.  Many topics were listened to.  This did not make the feature list on this version that just came out.
I have just been given Sonos Play 1's and a Play 3. The set up was easy and performance great but I am very disappointed that I cannot view the albums by list instead of by cover AND the cover art is not adjustable to get more albums on the screen. On my android 'phone I can only see 1 album at a time and with over 300 albums that's a pain.

Please add improved view functionality - art work size: album list / album cover toggle.

Chris
Wow! Version 6.4 released today still ignores this problem. I don't want to waste all my iPhone screen space with album covers. I just want a list of my albums. And I want it NOW!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Wow! Version 6.4 released today still ignores this problem. I don't want to waste all my iPhone screen space with album covers. I just want a list of my albums. And I want it NOW!

Hi Greg_24, welcome to the community.
We'll pass on the suggestion for you. Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.
As a new user I am frustrated by album view (which takes up a lot of space) ratehr than list view. I noticed another respondent refers to the 'browse folders' function. Does this still exist?
As a new user I am frustrated by album view (which takes up a lot of space) ratehr than list view. I noticed another respondent refers to the 'browse folders' function. Does this still exist?

Folders view is at the bottom of My Music Library.
Now the CR100 is being discontinued, I need a phone/tablet controller that will show lists rather than cover art - like the PC controller. Can the phone app be changed to allow this function?

Hi Greg_24, welcome to the community.
We'll pass on the suggestion for you. Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.

Having just bought a Sonos One myself, pretty much the single most irritating thing I've found with it is the stupid four-albums-per-screen browsing function on my Android phone. Doubly frustrating to come here and discover Sonos have apparently been ignoring this (known) problem for a couple of years...

Give us a list. A rapidly-scrollable and jump-scrollable list. I would say this isn't hard but it's scary how many MP3 players out there seem designed for people with about 20 albums... (And is why I use PlayerPro which has just such a useable listing function!)