Answered

How to stop S1 to S2 update

• 29 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi there, 

I've never posted here before so please bear with me. 

How can I stop S1 to S2 update?

I don't want S2 based on the negative reviews and my understanding was I could stick with S1.

I have a play 1 and play 3 bought around 2013 and 2011 so I assume they are legacy.

I am using Android 10 on a Sony Xperia xz2.

When I start S1 it prompts me to update to S2. It's done this for a few days. I seemed to be able to stop this prompt by shutting down and restarting the app but this no longer works. 

​​​I am stuck on this prompt screen and can't get past it. 

s1 was working just fine for my system.

So I would like to stay with S1 but the prompt shows compatibility issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

icon

Best answer by controlav 29 June 2020, 14:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Ratty

Thanks again. I follow your reasoning and it makes sense.

Previously my system was set up with the P5 providing the internet portal for the Sonos system.  When I changed to the separate S1 and S2 controllers I made sure the other ‘modern’ speakers were connected to the home Wi-Fi network but I forgot to disable the Wi-Fi setting (settings>product>connection) on the P5 which remains physically connected to my network switch by an ethernet cable. I have now corrected this and have listened to a whole album without interruption - bliss.

Fingers crossed.

You have network issues. The PC connection to the P5 is flaky for some reason. If the music stops it must be the P5 which is dropping off the network.

When it vanishes the controller can’t see anything but the S2 system on the network. That in fact confirms that the controller can see the rest of the network okay, further pointing the finger at the P5’s own connection. 

Ratty

Thanks for the swift reply.

I have reset S1 controller a few times and pressed the twin ‘find me’ buttons a few times with occasional but usually brief success. I have also uninstalled and re-installed the controller and re-booted Play 5 a few times. I have also tried a Wi-Fi connection in place of my usual ethernet connection. Sometimes the Play 5 comes to life (glorious sound) and the S1 controller suggests all is well.  The system continues for a few minutes and then the controller tells me it can't find my device and silence returns.On restarting the controller it announces it needs to be updated as it can only see the ‘modern’ devices.

Sonos may have thought about it but I am not convinced they have got the right answer yet.

Part (or all) of the problem is that the S1 controller still thinks it is in charge and ‘re-acquires’ control over the ‘modern’ devices, rejects the ‘legacy device’ and then thinks the controller needs to be updated to S2. Meanwhile the S2 controller (already installed and working correctly with the ‘modern devices’) seems unaware of the S1 controller’s expansionist plans. 

Have Sonos thought this through?

They did, but it’s not clear you followed the established procedure to split the systems. 

Reset the S1 controller, and reconnect it. It should ask for buttons to be pressed (on the old P5).

Part (or all) of the problem is that the S1 controller still thinks it is in charge and ‘re-acquires’ control over the ‘modern’ devices, rejects the ‘legacy device’ and then thinks the controller needs to be updated to S2. Meanwhile the S2 controller (already installed and working correctly with the ‘modern devices’) seems unaware of the S1 controller’s expansionist plans. 

Have Sonos thought this through?

Using S1 controller on PC to control older Play 5 with ethernet connection. All fine till a few days ago. Now unable to connect with Play 5. I have other Play 1’s and Play 3’s controlled by S2 controller on Android and Apple which are working fine. Sonos help and FAQ search useless. Any thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Generally one avoids S2 upgrades by never installing the S2 app.

However both of your players are S2 compatible.

Please ignore this question! I can't figure out how to delete it.

It seems my play 1 and play 3 need different versions of the app.