Answered

How to stop next update from destroying my working system?

• 9 September 2018
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
iPad using ios 9.3.5 working fine now... don't want to lose it (as I did my desktop running OS 10.6.8

How to stop or block updates that will (UNANNOUNCED) obsolete my hardware?

I can not see an off switch on the setting screen in v9.1 controller which INSISTED I UPDATE MY SYSTEM and apparently only updated the SPEAKERS? It was working fine before so why did I need an update?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 12 September 2018, 22:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
iPad using ios 9.3.5 working fine now... don't want to lose it (as I did my desktop running OS 10.6.8

How to stop or block updates that will (UNANNOUNCED) obsolete my hardware?

I can not see an off switch on the setting screen in v9.1 controller which INSISTED I UPDATE MY SYSTEM and apparently only updated the SPEAKERS? It was working fine before so why did I need an update?

Hi Neal_11,

You can disable automatic updates in the Sonos app's settings menu under advanced settings. This will prevent your Sonos speakers from checking for updates automatically. You will also want to disable automatic updates on your controller's app stores as well. If your smart phone, for example, has automatic updates enabled in its app store, it may update the Sonos app on its own. Even though your speakers aren't set to update, your phone's app will prompt you to do so if it automatically updates the app.

This way you can choose when and iff to update your system.
How can I get to advanced settings? I cannot see the option in the computer desk on Sonos app. The only option appears under Manage tab for "Check for Software Updates"
How can I get to advanced settings? I cannot see the option in the computer desk on Sonos app. The only option appears under Manage tab for "Check for Software Updates"
The advanced settings are no longer accessible through the PC/Mac controller. You’ll need an Android device running v5.0 or above or a iOS device running at least v10.
Badge

I just wanted you to know I completely agree with you and have ran into some of the same problems. Sonos is constantly preventing older devices and operating systems from controlling their speakers. They claim it's the OS and device manufacturers fault but that doesn't fly when one day the app is working fine and the next not working at all because of a speaker firmware update. There needs to be a simple way to prevent updates to both the speakers' firmware as well as the apps on any device being used to control the speakers. While there is an option to prevent updates under the Android OS there seems to be no option in the Windows 7 version of the app to do the same so there is no way to avoid the prompts to upgrade the app or firmware using a Windows laptop. They need to leave well enough alone but I suspect they are probably patching more security flaws in the version of Linux or whatever other OS the speakers are using internally more than they are adding features, however they will likely never admit it. They are pursuing a one size fits all strategy that is likely to end in their demise.
Disabling automatic updates doesn't stop it. The system will still tell you to update and an annoying pop up every time you open the app.

STOP IT SONOS!!!!

I have had your damn updates BRICK two of my Play5's. You replaced them under warranty (thank you) but I would think it would be in your own best interests to stop these forced updates. Stop using the Apple business model of forced updates and obsoleting old hardware.

Audiophiles keep their gear for a VERY LONG TIME. I have a Cerwin Vega 15" subwoofer in my home theater system that I've owned and used for 22 years. It still sounds as good as the day I bought it. Good stereo systems should and do last a long time.

Using your speakers has made me regret my decision... Originally you promoted that ALL platforms were supprted. This was a BIG selling point for me. Then you just decide to remove the settings functionality from the desktop app. WHY!?!?! This was a really shitty decision. I had to go and install and fiddle with an Android emulator so that I could still manage the products I own. It's rediculous.

No more updates. That don't even do anything. The desktop app has looked exactly the same for YEARS, what the hell are you doing with all these updates? Just stop it.

I own 3 Play5's, a Sub, Connect, and Connect Amp. I seriously doubt I will buy any Sonos product again.
I AM SO DONE WITH YOU SONOS. You used to be a great company with a novel approach to sound systems. Now you're a trash can. Hoovering up data, bricking long-time owner's equipment, and hiring UX people who've no clue what they're doing. After the latest round of updates completely effing us over, I'm done.

We'll be selling your junk on craigslist with a warning to whomever purchases it. We'll find a different solution. Thanks for ruining a years-long relationship.

I don't think they bother to answer your question. I will stop to recommend the Sonos system to my friend. 
You force us to have to update our system even we don't want to. If we don't update we will lose some functionality on our system. That is ridiculous. Don't change something working totally fine to a brick. 

All Sonos updates work just fine here.. just stick the Sonos IP addresses in your routers DHCP Reservation Table, what can go wrong after that?

If you don’t know what that means, or how to go about it, there are lots of videos on YouTube and helpful websites via a google search that explain it in such easy terms. Here is a link, just to help you …

Google it for me! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I don't think they bother to answer your question. I will stop to recommend the Sonos system to my friend. 
You force us to have to update our system even we don't want to. If we don't update we will lose some functionality on our system. That is ridiculous. Don't change something working totally fine to a brick. 

Don’t feed him Ken.  He’s only registered to have a rant.

Hi Ken,

You don't get it, do you? What we mean in here is stop the Sonos update. What is wrong with IP reservation here? Just stop to force us to update our Sonos system because if I don't do it, I can not access some features on my Sonos app. Sorry for my poor English but I hope I make myself clear. 

Ps: I am a network administrator for more than 20 years. I know what to do with IP reservation. However, the Sonos system doesn't require IP reservation or static IP (you can't do that on Sonos anyway). Correct me if I am wrong. 

Regards

Don’t feed him Ken.  He’s only registered to have a rant.

Yes. Don't feed me. I don't need that. LOL

Is it wrong to just share my opinion? Is it a community or what?

Hi Ken,

You don't get it, do you? What we mean in here is stop the Sonos update.

You can turn off Sonos update in various ways - everything from turning off auto updates in all of the apps/controllers to locking Sonos kit off from updating at all - or even accessing the internet at all, which most people don’t want to do as they want to steam over the internet. I agree that shutting off updates isn’t as easy as it should be, but it is possible.

And yes, unfortunately you are wrong about reserving IP addresses for Sonos - if you want a reliable system that survives reboots etc., then you do need to reserve the IP addresses.

And yes, unfortunately you are wrong about reserving IP addresses for Sonos - if you want a reliable system that survives reboots etc., then you do need to reserve the IP addresses.

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. However, I did set up a DHCP lease for them 999 days is not good enough for it? Rather I have to do the IP reservation for all of my Sonos or future Sonos. My Sonos system never fails or break apart after reboot so I definitely don't need that.

The thing I am concerned is UPDATE. If I am not updating, the Sonos app stops me to access some functions on it. I hope I make myself clear. 

Regards

The thing I am concerned is UPDATE. If I am not updating, the Sonos app stops me to access some functions on it. I hope I make myself clear. 

Regards

Don’t update the Sonos app in the first place, then you aren’t forced to update/upgrade the firmware of the speakers as well.

Regards

Don’t update the Sonos app in the first place, then you aren’t forced to update/upgrade the firmware of the speakers as well.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe that way is the best way to go for now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Ironic, isn’t it. One lot of owners don’t want any updates, whilst others do want them for 15-year-old speakers and kit. 

If you don’t update any of your controllers or devices, then it should work normally. If you update any part of your system, then you may find that you can’t use certain options until you update all your controllers/devices.

If you completely lock off your system from updates then your system should continue to work normally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you make a backup of your controller install files you can reinstall that version if you need to.

This is my biggest complaint about SONOS. 

They really have no concept of who their customer is. Were talking about a music player here, MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT EVERYTHING WORKS ALWAYS. The rate of updates is incessant and constant. 

Every other week im updating my Home’s Sonos system/ my office’s sonos system / My retail business sonos/ my cottage sonos system ….. constantly having issues with each, going back and fixing …. Just work … why do i need updates?!?!?!?!?! JUST

play the DAMN MUSIC.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So stop installing the updates, just ignore them. As long as you don’t start the process on a controller or speaker you don’t have to update the rest of your Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Any system connected to the internet will need updates - you wouldn’t want your speaker to become part of a botnet or as an open door to your home network. The comparison to non-connected stereo devices is wrong because of this.

If the update process on your Sonos systems does not run smoothly, try the tip of reserving ip-adresses or see if your system suffers from wifi interference.