Answered

How to roll back to Sonos Controller for PC version 9.1?

• 15 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Removing fuctionality in the PC Controller software makes me quite frustrated. I have to stop upgrading the Sonos software. Way too much bullshit is done because of lazy programmers and idiotic corporate decisions. My old controllers stopped working which was a great way to instantly have Sonos available to all my guests and all children in the house, internal or external. My Samsung tabs are too old to be used. My spare smartphones are too old to run the Sonos software. My previous iPhone are too old to run the software.

Come on, Sonos! Wake up to what you're doing to your customers! I will now for the first time in 15 years STOP recommending Sonos to anyone I meet from now on. I've always been a big fan. Not anymore. I'm getting ready to throw everything out for sale to get me something else that I can rely on and doesnt make my day troublesome. Maybe even find something that supports bluetooth as well.

By not letting me do everything through my PC anymore, is just super inconvenient and totally unneccesary! The code is already programmed and in the software. Version 9.2 just disables it. Why??

Also there is a lot of bugs in 9.2. It doesnt remember the window placement anymore, it doesn't show the queues properly and lots of other small crap. How can I go back to 9.1 on my Windows PC?

In a few years, this idiotic change will most likely be reversed at Sonos and at any other company that today stupidly believe noone wants to own a computer anymore. The combination of big screen, keyboard and mouse will always be superior in usability to any smart device with only a touchscreen and voice control.
icon

Best answer by Chris 15 October 2018, 14:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
NO way to roll back - you would have to uninstall and find a cached version of the old installer. I don't even know if it would work then but you could try.
I'm looking to do the same. Our music was monitored at a service desk and did not want visitors to change music so having a desktop controller was ideal. Our WIFI at the speaker was disabled so as to not cause issues with our network. I've emailed Sonos asking for the previous controller due to the issues this version has created. If answered I will post back here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Rolling back requires a DeLorean DMC-12 and some plutonium, you have to go back and stop yourself from upgrading.

Sonos doesn't support it, the older versions of the internal firmware aren't available and finding old controller software won't help because the new firmware won't talk to it except to say: "You need to upgrade" and maybe offer you a limited set of functions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It was nice of them to warn you before the upgrade deleted all those features, right? Oh wait, there was no warning in the app. (There was a warning on this forum but...).

And yes, running the older PC app wont help once your speakers took the 9.2 update.