How to remove upgrade notification from S1?

• 24 February 2021
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos S1 on iOS 14.4. Sonos S1 app has a persistent “It’s time tp update to Sonos S2” message that doesn’t go away. 

How do I clear this message?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Badge +17

Hi @jswilson64, thanks for reaching out.

Customers with systems that are fully S2 compatible but have not yet updated will receive a banner on the app reminding them to update to the Sonos S2 software. The S2 software is our platform for the future, and updating will ensure that you receive the latest software updates and features to get the most out of your products. If you're not ready to upgrade to Sonos S2, you can select Not Now after tapping on the banner. Choosing this option will allow you to come back to the upgrade screen at a time that works best for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@James L.  my system is NOT fully S2 compatible (I have two Play:5 Gen 1s) and yet I see this very annoying message.

Hi,

Same with Android.
I have a system that is not and will not be ready for Sonos S2. I choose to stay with Sonos S1.
However, I keep getting a notification displayed in my Android App telling me to upgrade. After tapping the banner I can choose to “Upgrade” or “Upgrade automatically”. And I can cancel. 
The notification remains.  Very annoying.

Can you tell me how to remove the notification?

I might consider upgrading in the future and replace my older, incompatible devices (meaning: throwing away one good working Connect:AMP and three Play 1's. But as a former very satisfied customer this whole ugrade hassle makes me really reconsider Sonos as my favorite musci system.

Kind regards,

Hans

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I was going to buy a piece of S1 only kit to stop this message, will that not work?.

I can't let my kids on Sonos incase they accidentally upgrade, very happy with S1 at the moment!.

I was going to buy a piece of S1 only kit to stop this message, will that not work?.

I can't let my kids on Sonos incase they accidentally upgrade, very happy with S1 at the moment!.

No such luck, Keithmac.
I have an incompatible Connect:Amp (Gen1) combined with three compatible Play:1's. Notification will appear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Cheers, was going to try a ZP90.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

No such luck, Keithmac.
I have an incompatible Connect:Amp (Gen1) combined with three compatible Play:1's. Notification will appear.

Have you read the bottom of this post?.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @jswilson64, thanks for reaching out.

Customers with systems that are fully S2 compatible but have not yet updated will receive a banner on the app reminding them to update to the Sonos S2 software. The S2 software is our platform for the future, and updating will ensure that you receive the latest software updates and features to get the most out of your products. If you're not ready to upgrade to Sonos S2, you can select Not Now after tapping on the banner. Choosing this option will allow you to come back to the upgrade screen at a time that works best for you.

If I understand correctly, you’re saying Sonos has chosen to annoy customers by taking up more and more screen real estate until customers do what you want. 

What happens when Sonos decides my Play:1 speakers are too old, even though they function properly? Will you continuously nag me to buy new speakers?

I’m quite aware of S2, I don’t need a large chunk of my app screen devoted to reminding me.

Strange that Sonos will once again go so low… problem is: we (the paying client) have invested to much money to just switch hardware… Sonos can do what they want and we have no choice but to except we technically don't own our systems… Sonos decides when we have to upgrade, even if the system is working great… not doing so: they disable features till we do…  So Obey!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I thought S1 would be the end of updates and spam messages.

I'm sure everyone on S1 is aware there is S2 available, believe it or not people are happy to stay on the early system without constant nagging to "upgrade".

Userlevel 2

I have the same problem.  The S1 app is constantly nagging to upgrade to S2.  

I have mostly S1 hardware that’s doing great and none of the S2 features seem of any use to me.

At this point I would sooner get rid of my S2 hardware than me S1 hardware.

Make it stop.

Userlevel 2

I have the same problem.  The S1 app is constantly nagging to upgrade to S2.  

I have mostly S1 hardware that’s doing great and none of the S2 features seem of any use to me.

At this point I would sooner get rid of my S2 hardware than me S1 hardware.

Make it stop.

I found over in another thread that you need to get a few menus deep into the upgrade process to disable the upgrade process.  <shrug>  Not how I would’ve designed it but it seems to work.

That at least works for the folks who still have some S1 gear.  Not sure if it works for people who only have S2 gear.  Though honestly I think I would just do the upgrade if I had all S2 gear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I've just bought an S1 ZP90, will try this when it turns up..

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @jswilson64, thanks for reaching out.

If you're not ready to upgrade to Sonos S2, you can select Not Now after tapping on the banner. Choosing this option will allow you to come back to the upgrade screen at a time that works best for you.

@James L. This suggestion does not work. When I tap the “It’s time to update” notification the only options I have are “Update automatically” and “Update now.” 

How do I make the notification go away in IOS 14.4 ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Still no answer from @Sonos  or @James L. about how to fix the app since the “solutions” they are giving don’t work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Well I've installed my ZP90 tonight, done (and failed) a compatibility check for S2 and the message has now gone.

Will see how long it takes to come back!.

There is a recent update to the S1 app (on Android at least).

Badge +1

Any update here? I have a significant fleet of Sonos devices and I’m not gonna change all the older generation devices. The S2 message is beyond annoying, and completely ignores the Play 1, Sonos Amp Gen 1 and other devices that will not support S2. The upgrade message is misleading users to believe they can safely move on to S2, and seem to be based on the availability of S2 systems on the network more than the detection of older incompatible devices. I’m up-to-date on S1 on all devices, and still got the message in the last 24h to upgrade to S2 despite incompatible devices being online and part of the mesh.

Any update here? I have a significant fleet of Sonos devices and I’m not gonna change all the older generation devices. The S2 message is beyond annoying, and completely ignores the Play 1, Sonos Amp Gen 1 and other devices that will not support S2. The upgrade message is misleading users to believe they can safely move on to S2, and seem to be based on the availability of S2 systems on the network more than the detection of older incompatible devices. I’m up-to-date on S1 on all devices, and still got the message in the last 24h to upgrade to S2 despite incompatible devices being online and part of the mesh.

The Play:1 is compatible with S2.  So are some Connect:Amps.  Is your Play:5 definitely a gen 1?

Badge +1

The Play:1 is compatible with S2.  So are some Connect:Amps.  Is your Play:5 definitely a gen 1?

You’re absolutely right - it’s the Connect:Amp and Play:5 that are incompatible. The problem remains whole - S2 should not be proposed based on the connected devices.

If you go into the S1 app settings, System, System Tools, is there a ‘compatibility checker’ available, as noted earlier in the thread.  This hasn’t worked for everyone, but it has for some.

Badge +1

If you go into the S1 app settings, System, System Tools, is there a ‘compatibility checker’ available, as noted earlier in the thread.  This hasn’t worked for everyone, but it has for some.

Copy that… I’ve done multiple times. Not working. The checker does detect the incompatible devices, and says I can either remove them or continue on S1. The upgrade prompt keeps coming back periodically. 

Copy that… I’ve done multiple times. Not working. The checker does detect the incompatible devices, and says I can either remove them or continue on S1. The upgrade prompt keeps coming back periodically. 

Fair enough, I would find that irritating.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

If you are afraid someone in your family might hit the upgrade button, just block these two addresses on your router.

update.sonos.com

update-firmware.sonos.com

I’m not sure where I got that second one.  But this will protect your system from accidental updates.

Badge +1

Clever, but that will also cause me to loose legit and much needed S1 updates. I’m not looking for a workaround, but for Sonos team to realize and fix the issue in their recommendation logic. I got the upgrade message again this weekend - as of today this issue remains whole.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Patrick Spence, the CEO, is accessible.  If enough of you email him, that might get the attention of the development team.