Answered

How to play MP3's from PC on Sonos

• 2 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am new to the Sonos world and I have a Beam setup with my TV which works fine.

I have a large music collection on my PC and I’m experimeneting with how to play MP3's on my Beam. I've installed the Windows desktop client and I’ve created a playlist but I cannot figure out at all how to add tracks to the playlist.

I have gotten music to play but only by right clicking a file and clicking “Play to > Sonos Beam Media Renderer”. This opens another player which sends the music to the other player which sends it to the Beam.

Could somebody please talk me through how to add MP3’s stored on my PC into a playlist or if I can play MP3’s without using the rendere?

I will confess to still be using Windows 7. It’s on my to do list for the next couple of weeks. Not sure if that has an impact of any of the above.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by John B 2 July 2020, 13:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You need to set up a Sonos Music Library.  It is how Sonos was originally designed to work, before streaming came along.  See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US

Windows 7 is still supported.  Download the Sonos app for Windows from the Sonos website and set the library up using that.

Badge

Hi,

Thanks. I’ve followed your advice and got it working now by adding my music folder as a library. 

Lastly, if I click Sonos Playlists I can create a new one but there seems no way to add music to that playlist. How do you do that?

If you are using the desktop app, just right-click an album or song in the Sonos Music Library and choose to add to Sonos Playlist.  In the mobile app it tends to be long presses or  tap the ‘more options’ symbol (three dots)

Badge

Thanks. Wrapped my head around it now. I’m slowly moving on from Windows 7 and Winamp ;-)