How to keep Now Playing screen UP?

Userlevel 3
Badge
Fire tablet as controller running latest (like I have a choice!) version Sonos app. Ever since the EVIL update months back that took our beloved software away, I have had problems with the Now Playing screen staying UP and FRONT. Once I stop music, at some random point (who knows because I don't sit there and stare at it), the (nice and BLACK) Now Playing screen drops DOWN and reveals a lousy white "home" screen (not sure if that is what it is called). To start playback again, I have to arrow up to bring back the Now Playing screen. The Now Playing screen used to stay UP all the time unless I changed it. Now, it's always down when I need it.

Is this by design or is there a setting to keep Now Playing UP?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe it has something to do with the new feature that asks you the zone you want to play to after period of inactivity. I know that can be turned off in settings..advanced. confirm location (turn off)
Userlevel 3
Badge
Maybe it has something to do with the new feature that asks you the zone you want to play to after period of inactivity. I know that can be turned off in settings..advanced. confirm location (turn off)

Looks like that setting is already unchecked (disable). Thanks, though.
The WiFi connection to your Fire tablet is flaky. This will cause the Sonos controller to do a soft restart when the connection is re-established, resulting in the Now Playing being minimised.
The WiFi connection to your Fire tablet is flaky. This will cause the Sonos controller to do a soft restart when the connection is re-established, resulting in the Now Playing being minimised.Agreed. I do not have the problem described in the original post with my Amazon Fire and so it cannot be a generic issue with the app.
To the OP.... is your Fire connecting to your WiFi or to SonosNet?
I spent a while scratching my head as to why I'd return to the Fire and find Now Playing collapsed. This could even occur sporadically when using a SonosNet connection. It didn't seem to correlate with any state in the controller itself or specific events in the Sonos household.

It was after some WiFi configuration changes that I noticed Now Playing had gone, and thus linked it with the connection very occasionally bouncing. It was then trivial to reproduce. I've now set up an additional AP for that Fire (and an iPort xPRESS) and fingers crossed all now seems well.

IMO the state of the Now Playing pane should be preserved across a reconnection and/or app restart.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The WiFi connection to your Fire tablet is flaky. This will cause the Sonos controller to do a soft restart when the connection is re-established, resulting in the Now Playing being minimised.Agreed. I do not have the problem described in the original post with my Amazon Fire and so it cannot be a generic issue with the app.
To the OP.... is your Fire connecting to your WiFi or to SonosNet?

It's connecting to my WiFi. I'm unfamiliar with how to connect it to SonosNet or if that is something I would want to do. Would I still have internet?

Oddly (coincidentally), this behavior started with the last major software change. It had always worked perfectly before. Nothing in my WiFi changed then. I have since changed our single WiFi AP with two Ubiquiti AP's. The Fire tablet in question is right in between the two, so I'm surprised it would be "flaky WiFi". I'll stream for hours and it seems rock solid.

It is reassuring that you and others do not have the problem, so it's not the software. Thanks everyone for your input.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I spent a while scratching my head as to why I'd return to the Fire and find Now Playing collapsed. This could even occur sporadically when using a SonosNet connection. It didn't seem to correlate with any state in the controller itself or specific events in the Sonos household.

It was after some WiFi configuration changes that I noticed Now Playing had gone, and thus linked it with the connection very occasionally bouncing. It was then trivial to reproduce. I've now set up an additional AP for that Fire (and an iPort xPRESS) and fingers crossed all now seems well.

IMO the state of the Now Playing pane should be preserved across a reconnection and/or app restart.

You're saying you had the same issue? Is it a WiFi connection issue or an internet (ISP) issue or either? What I'm asking is if it's due to a loss of a WiFi connection for an instant, or loss of connectivity to the internet? Obviously the former will cause the latter, but you can have the latter without the former.

I'm a little confused where to look because like I said, it was rock solid before the latest major software update. My WiFi didn't change, the software did. And I have made changes to my household WiFi to increase coverage and the problem persists. Is there a way to monitor the connection on the Fire tablet (an app) that would run continuously?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I must have good WiFi connection as I brought up Sonos on my iphonex yesterday evernig when saw post. When I picked up phine this morning I clicked on Sonos and it came right back to now playing screen I left it at.
It's connecting to my WiFi. I'm unfamiliar with how to connect it to SonosNet or if that is something I would want to do. Would I still have internet?
Go to Advanced Settings in the controller and enable the SonosNet connection. A new SSID will appear in the Fire's WiFi settings. Worth a try. The system must be in SonosNet/BOOST mode of course.

I have since changed our single WiFi AP with two Ubiquiti AP's. The Fire tablet in question is right in between the two, so I'm surprised it would be "flaky WiFi".

The Fire could potentially be flipping between the two APs. In any case it would only take a momentary connection drop to trigger the observed symptoms. I have a Netgear router which is 'rock solid' but still manifested this problem on the Fire.

Is it a WiFi connection issue or an internet (ISP) issue or either? What I'm asking is if it's due to a loss of a WiFi connection for an instant, or loss of connectivity to the internet?

WiFi. When the Sonos app goes into 'reconnecting' it re-opens with Now Playing minimised.

Is there a way to monitor the connection on the Fire tablet (an app) that would run continuously?

No idea.
I must have good WiFi connection as I brought up Sonos on my iphonex yesterday evernig when saw post. When I picked up phine this morning I clicked on Sonos and it came right back to now playing screen I left it at.
The controller had been in the background presumably. It's when the controller is in the foreground and reconnects that the Now Playing minimises.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I have a couple new, spare Fire tablets. I'm setting one up now to see if it's possibly the Fire tablet itself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The controller had been in the background presumably. It's when the controller is in the foreground and reconnects that the Now Playing minimises.

It didn't actually though - it was minimized and running in background all night. When I opened up this morning it was actually still on Now Playing.
Userlevel 3
Badge

It didn't actually though - it was minimized and running in background all night. When I opened up this morning it was actually still on Now Playing.

I have an iPhone also, and I can't say that Sonos app running in the background on an iPhone and the Sonos app running in the foreground on a Fire Tablet (one that does not ever go to sleep) is the same thing. I'd say to compare, we'd need to stick to the same platform and preferably, the same type of device and app version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes they are different apps - just sharing my experience
Userlevel 3
Badge
I've changed to a new Fire 8 (2017) and same thing, within minutes of stopping play. Then I switched the tablet to our 5Ghz band WiFi and almost 3 hours, and so far, so good. Time will tell today.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The WiFi connection to your Fire tablet is flaky. This will cause the Sonos controller to do a soft restart when the connection is re-established, resulting in the Now Playing being minimised.

After all day running my Fire Tablet on our 5Ghz band instead, the Now Playing screen had stayed up all day like it used to!
I came here to give an update and thanks, and thought I would check one more time--unfortunately, it was not on the Now Playing screen. It had dropped down to the white "home" screen. Bummer.