How to get rid of setup cards in settings for iOS app?

• 16 November 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

How do you get rid of the stinking setup cards in settings for the iOS Sonos app?  These pop up every time I open the Sonos app, and it doesn’t matter how many times I tap the “X” to close all of them.  I don’t have surrounds to connect in the three rooms it keeps popping up for, I don’t want to add a voice assistant, I don’t want to try Sonos Radio HD, etc…  I close them all, then they all pop up again the next time I go into settings.  What gives?  I looked through all the settings and couldn’t find anything about turning off these suggestions for things I don’t have or don’t want to try.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

How about Settings, App Preferences, disable Auto Discovery Popups?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

How about Settings, App Preferences, disable Auto Discovery Popups?

Sorry, I should have specified I tried that.  Yeah, that was the first thing I tried, but it did nothing.  These cards in settings stayed and still came back after I closed them all.

I thought that might be the setting, but then realized it had nothing to do with the cards popping up in settings; those cards are for non-existent products.  I have Play:1 speakers that are already set up and assigned to rooms that are not in the same room as the Playbar or Beam speakers, so it doesn’t make sense for the app to suggest that I connect surrounds to the soundbar by removing them from other rooms. Additionally, that setting would have nothing to do with the card asking me to try out Sonos Radio HD, since that’s not a physical product to set up.

That’s when I realized that the “Auto Discovery Popups” setting is for the cards that pop up in the app (kind of like how the AirPods screen pops up on the iPhone) when it detects a new product that hasn’t been set up.  It has nothing to do with products that have already been set up, as far as I can tell.

You are correct.  I turned that setting off because I find the popups irritating too.  I thought that would sort it but I’m still getting them …. (Incidentally, it applies equally to the Android app, as I would expect.)

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’m not going to hold my breath (given how Sonos ignores us users fairly frequently), but hopefully Sonos will give us the option to get rid of those annoying cards in settings.

I can’t help wondering if this is not something that requires an option, but something that is just not working as intended…. why on earth would you continually invite someone to add surrounds to a Playbar when the only candidates have been happily stereo paired in another room for years?  This makes no sense to me - why would anybody want this?

Maybe there’s something we’ve both missed…..?

Maybe this is a marketing device to remind everyone that there are options that can be purchased.

Here’s a wild idea that I have not tried: Humor the App and temporarily assign a pair of PLAY:1’s to a PLAYBAR, then delete the surrounds. This may satisfy the card Tzar -- or it could make things worse by dunning you for removing the surrounds. You probably will need to fuss with the PLAY:1 Room names after the temporary reassignment.

Is this an S1 or S2 system?

It is definitely on S2.  On S1 I only have a Connect, but it could offer me Sonos Radio HD (but hasn’t).  However S1 has no ‘Auto Discovery Popups’ setting, which I still suspect is intended to be relevant to this.  I suspect this is S2 only.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

S2 here as well.  Yeah, I’m sure it’s a marketing decision, which is fine for it to pop up once, but once we dismiss it, they shouldn’t keep coming back.  Or, there should be an option in settings to turn off “product usage suggestions” or something like that.  

Then again, I don’t know how much Sonos has ever really cared about its users’ suggestions.  We still can’t save speaker groupings, and people have been asking for that feature for YEARS.  How ridiculous is it that in order for me to use saved speaker groups, I have to use the Lutron lighting app?!  SMH.

The only option I’ve seen is to mute it (when closing one) for 24 hours. 

I’ll admit it’s driving me away from wanting to use the controller.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The only option I’ve seen is to mute it (when closing one) for 24 hours. 

I’ll admit it’s driving me away from wanting to use the controller.

Where are you seeing that option?  The only option I see is the little “X” to close the card in settings, but it will definitely pop up again less than 24 hours later.

I could have sworn the last few times I closed one, it said something along the lines of ‘stop seeing this pop up for 24 hours’ or something like that? Not able to open a controller and test at the moment.

We still can’t save speaker groupings, and people have been asking for that feature for YEARS. 

Au contraire.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391

Section “Save groups”

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I stand corrected! Thanks for letting me know. 

Now if they could add scene support that’s been requested for years as well, it would be nice to not have to use a lighting app to run a scene for Sonos. 

I stand corrected! Thanks for letting me know. 

Now if they could add scene support that’s been requested for years as well, it would be nice to not have to use a lighting app to run a scene for Sonos. 

I am sure we could all add lots of features we would like to see.  A small proportion of them may even be the same.  Development resource is limited. Many user suggestions are ‘niche’ to put it mildly, some ideas are downright impractical and stupid.  Not even the good ones are necessarily cost-effective.  You are welcome to your view that Sonos doesn’t listen to its customers.  I think it listens, but (mostly correctly) often says ‘nah’.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

If you do a search in the Sonos forums for “scene”, “scenes”, “groups”, or “presets” you’ll see many, many threads where Sonos gives non-answers or doesn’t answer at all, and many of these threads are years old.  

I’m not saying Sonos has to do everything that every customer suggests.  But when one has to use a lighting app (that Sonos had to partner with to open their API!) to group speakers, set the volume, and start playing a specific playlist/station/song, that seems rather...odd, to say the least.  At best, Sonos is being “efficient” and offloading the programming of audio functionality to its audio products to a third-party lighting company, and at worst, Sonos is just plain lazy.