Question

How to get old iphone app?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I had just been getting a few iPod gen 2s specifically to use as Sonos controllers. I'd got two of them in, and installed the old app before the new App came out yesterday. Unfortunately I hadn't yet downloaded the old app to the third before it was updated yesterday. The new app reports as not compatible with my third Gen2. How can I get the old one & install it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Wow, I can't believe I've just bought into a system, that is made by a company that considers screwing over it's customer base as an acceptable action. We already pay an extra £400 for the hardware to control their devices, and now they just want to render them useless, because some hack developer can't write proper software?

I can never understand why all these hardware manufacturers insist on employing amateur developers, for such fundamentally important aspects such as the controller software. It's not just Sonos either, it seems to be a common trend to employ asshats for the app/software development.

This sets a trend that warrants some strongly worded product reviews, to warn people that the expensive streaming system they're about to buy, could be rendered useless at the flick of an update switch. This is up there with probably the most irresponsible action I have seen from a manufacturer... I hope it costs them dearly in future lost sales.

I have been using Sonopad for a few months now and I'm very happy. It lacks a few features, but for a mere few dollars it fixes 90% of the problems that plague v5. Looking at the price you already paid for admission, $5 more is worth it..
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wow, I can't believe I've just bought into a system, that is made by a company that considers screwing over it's customer base as an acceptable action. We already pay an extra £400 for the hardware to control their devices, and now they just want to render them useless, because some hack developer can't write proper software?

I can never understand why all these hardware manufacturers insist on employing amateur developers, for such fundamentally important aspects such as the controller software. It's not just Sonos either, it seems to be a common trend to employ asshats for the app/software development.

This sets a trend that warrants some strongly worded product reviews, to warn people that the expensive streaming system they're about to buy, could be rendered useless at the flick of an update switch. This is up there with probably the most irresponsible action I have seen from a manufacturer... I hope it costs them dearly in future lost sales.

Good to hear ToolFool.  Hopefully down the road the official Sonos app catches back up on the iPad.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@LeeC2202: Contact your seller, try to get you money back. There are some good alternatives the last weeks.
Can someone say "I smell a class action lawsuit vs. SONOS coming?"  Consumers are being harmed and their pleas for a reparation are being ignored.
I'm a reseller in Mexico , and i have sold hundred of sonos systems , but now many of my clients are so ungry with your new 5.0 version app. Your great succesfull is your classic app, we love it . We buy Sonos not for your products , we buy it for your classic app . There are many multiroom product in the world but no one like your classic app software. If you don't release it again , you will loose many clients, i'm sure about it. Please reconsider it and release the classic version or both versions if you want it, but don't discontinue the classic one Thanks
Ryan,

I followed instructions on my iPhone 5, put the old 4.3 app back on via iTunes, launched it, and it complains that I need to upgrade it (presumably to 5.0).  So this method did not work for me.
You state 4.3 works with 5.0 on the ZPs, correct?  Why is this not working for me then?

On the ipad I have both version working currently because I never deleted the old one. but on the iPhone , which is what I use constantly, I'm stuck with 5.0 which I don't want to use for a variety of reasons that i won't bore you with.

EDIT:  Looks like 4.2 is what I installed.   Doesn't work.   Can someone post a link to the "Sonos 4.3.ipa" file please?  PLEASE, I'M BEGGING NOW.

I had both also, bot now the classic version is not working anymore.
I'm a reseller in Mexico , and i have sold hundred of sonos systems , but now many of my clients are so ungry with your new 5.0 version app. Your great succesfull is your classic app, we love it . We buy Sonos not for your products , we buy it for your classic app . There are many multiroom product in the world but no one like your classic app software. If you don't release it again , you will loose many clients, i'm sure about it. Please reconsider it and release the classic version or both versions if you want it, but don't discontinue the classic one Thanks
Userlevel 2
Looks like I had a close call. I have a iPod 2G - I was about to buy some Play speakers, and a Connect - with the intention of using the iPod to control them... looks like I can't. 

Might as well find something else...

Oh well. Apart from this poor support, Sonos looked good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Poor support?
Hello, what is the latest workaround as of now? The pre 5.0 version of Sonos app I had is forcing an update and my first gen iPad only goes to 5.0 iOS. Is there another Sonos app for a controller that will work or a 3rd party app?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hello, what is the latest workaround as of now? The pre 5.0 version of Sonos app I had is forcing an update and my first gen iPad only goes to 5.0 iOS. Is there another Sonos app for a controller that will work or a 3rd party app?
Hi Carolyn, the best alternative is Sonopad (paid app, but pretty cheap given the issue it resolves! --> http://sonopad.com/
Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
For only $5, Sonopad is an excellent alternative and a minimal cost to save your huge investment in Sonos. I personally use it and love it!