Answered

How to get new public beta?

• 4 October 2017
  • 18 replies

I'm in the beta program, inside the Sonos app on Android tablet. Check for updates, update available, click on Update Now. This opens the Google Play Store, NOT the Sonos beta site, to the already-installed current Sonos app. WTF? Why is this not opening to the Sonos beta site, like it used to do? I want tk test Alexa integration, how is it possible to get the public beta?
icon

Best answer by Skelton 4 October 2017, 17:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
On iOS, I had to update the app through the App Store directly rather than through the Sonos link.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I think just a little more patience will net the result you want. The Community site actually has a link to a new Alexa board, but it's currently blocked for me:
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102

There's a page talking about it here:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4158/?_ga=2.189820843.1629334429.1507058739-690006006.1490632081

That page implies it's already ready if you have the "latest update". However, it could mean an update that's coming out today, as it also suggests the Sonos skill is available in Alexa's app right now (it isn't.).
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
New Sonos skill available in the U.K.
So, went ahead and uninstalled the app on my Android tablet, reinstalled. Now i get a splash screen, says something like "we need to get you on the latest software". Clicking the button takes me, you guessed it, back to the Play Store to the download i just reinstalled. Sigh. Epic fail, Sonos!

Diagnostic code 7912366 Help!
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
...and it works. Alexa, play Jazz in the Living Room.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Like testcard, I now see the Sonos app in the US.

For what it's worth the Sonos 8.0 update is also showing for me in Play Store. The release notes of that are available if you're interested:
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/8-0
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Update app, update firmware/public beta, download Sonos skill, sign in with both Sonos and Amazon account details, set up a new device(s), and that’s it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Seem to be stuck in the same loop here... Update the App (iOS), open the app, confirm it's the new version as the layout is entirely different. Confronted with a screen inside the app saying 'Update Now' which when clicked says 'Sonos App Needs Updating'. Clicking the Update button opens App Store, which again confirms the Sonos app is up to date.

Did anyone actually test this release?:?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Are you signed up for the Beta programme in Advanced Settings?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Just to clarify a bit, Sonos v8.0 isn't a beta, this is a public release. Twuk, I know it's a cheesey response, but my phone can be really picky about updates if I haven't restarted it recently. Have you tried restarting and then kicking off the update again?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
TuneIn radio stations are playing OK but voice control doesn’t appear to be working with Spotify playlists yet.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Not sure how that's relevant... Sonos has released the app, so the app itself is now 'production'. I'm not even anywhere near the Echo integration yet - this is just trying to use the iOS app!
OK, after multiple attempts, an Update button finally showed up, instead of the Open button, in the Play Store. Finally able to update to 8.0. Timing issue, Sonos update now was there before Play Store had finished updating.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Some tech blogs are referring to the release as a public beta, confusing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Alexa skill is currently in beta, but the Sonos version 8.0 software is a full release.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
The Alexa skill is currently in beta, but the Sonos version 8.0 software is a full release.

Hmm. Journalists not paying attention at the press conference.
This page is useful for intro to controlling Sonos with voice commands via Alexa:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
What??? Bad journalism from tech bloggers? This is an outrageous charge!
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Although in fairness, the iOS app description uses the term “open beta”. 🙂