Answered

How to Delete a Song from Sonos

I cannot find a way to completely remove a song that I don't want to hear again.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 21 May 2018, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

You have to delete it from the share, then reindex Sonos.
I don't know what you mean by share. You mean delete it from the hard drive where the song was originally stored?
The problem is 'deleting a song from Sonos' is ambiguous or meaningless. Do you mean you don't want it to appear in the Music Library (which is just the collection of filepaths from the last time you indexed), or from a mobile device, or a queue, or a playlist....?
I don’t want it to appear in Music Library. I know how to delete from a playlist. My Music Library is nearing maxed out And there is stuff listed I want to get rid of. Are you saying that I have to delete the songs I don’t want anymore from my peripheral hard drive? Or is there a way I can just eliminate them from my Sonos music library?
You need to delete it from the disk where the track is stored, i.e. on a PC, Mac, or NAS drive. Then reindex Sonos.
I will try that. It is tedious, but at least now I know how to do it. Thank you. pk
Badge
I, actually, have a similar request in that I have lots of audio files that I want to keep in my "library" yet do not want them to appear in SONOS - i.e., spoken tracks. I love SHUFFLING all songs on SONOS, but I can't because the spoken tracks - language courses, comedy routines - will come up. So an exclude function would be superb. Actually - an excluded genre would be great - i.e., Christmas music, too. (as Frank Sinatra's Mistletoe and Christmas comes up after Lila Downs on Sonos in the background...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can do multiple libraries and segregate your collection, disable the Christmas one outside the season and the spoken word stuff until you want it. Not sure how many libraries you can have but it is several.
It can be done, but it requires a bit of work. Set up a 'Sonos' account for your computer or NAS. Set permissions on the folders you wish to exclude so the Sonos account has no access. Then delete the share in the Sonos app and re-add it, using the Sonos account for the credentials.
I just set up an "all" Playlist, and removed the Christmas and books items from it. Took about half an hour of work, plus some time later as I found ones I missed. But it's the playlist that I use the most.

I guess what I probably should do is set up a Christmas playlist as well, kind of the obverse of the "all" playlist. Hmmm. I think I have that in iTunes, could probably just pull that in.
Badge
Thanks! I think these are good solutions! Lemme work on them! - Jon
Wow, people online always make things harder than they are. If you use Apple Music, go there and delete the file. It will come out of Sonos. DONE!
Wow, people online always make things harder than they are. If you use Apple Music, go there and delete the file. It will come out of Sonos. DONE!
Which is fine, but the original question related to tracks stored locally on a disk drive that had been indexed as the Sonos music library.