How to check audio output (for wireless audio input) ?

• 18 November 2021
  • 11 replies

Hi there, I know this question has already been asked, and I know how to get this info, normaly given on the “about my system” screen on the Sonos app.

And I get the information when I use my beam with my TV (as input).

But when I use it with the Sonos App or Airplay as input, there is no indication (field is blank).

I also have a Roam, for wich the “audio output” field does not exist.

So my guess is that this information is given only when using the Beam with input set to TV. Still, is there a way to get this information with the other input modes ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

If you are streaming audio from the Sonos app or over AirPlay while the Sonos home theater speaker is in music mode, there is no way to get the audio information from the Sonos app. Only playing audio in TV mode will display the audio information.

But with the 13.4 update on the S2 app, an “HD” badge should appear on the Now Playing screen when you are streaming lossless 16-bit or 24-bit audio from Sonos Radio HD or Amazon Music Unlimited.

Thanks. In fact, the information given on the Sonos App → about my system is the audio input format, not output. And so, is working only with the TV mode.

I wonder why this is not implemented with the others sources, maybe not a lot of people would like to have this information but for the others I think it is pretty simple to implement (and to show on the about screen).

But I will keep an eye on your assertment, when I will have such a service activated (currently I have Spotify and Apple services, it seems Apple Music support is currently limited to standard quality).

What exactly do you want to see? For music sources it would pretty much always show "stereo". I don't really get the point of your request. Could you explain please?

If it is the audio quality you are after then this is now shown. You can tell if it is standard or HD. What more do you want?

Also your distinction between audio input and audio output for TV audio is pretty pointless. Sonos soundbars play the format they are fed, provided it is a compatible format.

If the "audio input" field says DD5.1 then that is what it is playing.

@John B something like this window. Plex media server gives the detail of each media played.

Note that, in that exemple, streaming bitrate is low compared to the original file (1400 kbps, 24 bits) probably because I play it through the Airplay protocol. Thus, I have no mention of HD music on the Sonos app.

Could you provide an example of how is identified a HD audio stream ?

If you are using Airplay then you are not really using the Sonos system and app so cannot reasonably expect the app to provide you with information on what is playing.

What are you using Airplay to play? And why? Screenshot to follow.

I really think the information requirements are different for TV and music audio. The main focus users have for TV sound is whether they are getting surround sound and in which form. This can vary according to which app is being used from which source, on which input, on which brand TV, with which audio output settings over which output cable. The info in About My System is essentially a diagnostic tool.  It tells you what has survived this processing to be played by the Sonos soundbar.

But if I am listening to music from a streaming service it's going to be stereo and either standard or HD. Job done. End of story.

Hello, your last statement about music is still mostly true, but by the arrival of binaural audio may be less on the next years.

In my exemple, I was listening to an audio album recorded in DTS 6 channels, so not only stereo. I admit such albums are rare today, because it implies listening to music on a home cinema installation, which is not the standard way to do (music is mostly listened though headphones or earbuds).

But at least I understand your point of view.

Last thing I would like to know is on which parameter a music played is considered as HD by the Sonos app, in term of minimal bitrate or sample rate.

Hello, your last statement about music is still mostly true, but by the arrival of binaural audio may be less on the next years.

In my exemple, I was listening to an audio album recorded in DTS 6 channels, so not only stereo. I admit such albums are rare today, because it implies listening to music on a home cinema installation, which is not the standard way to do (music is mostly listened though headphones or earbuds).

But at least I understand your point of view.

Last thing I would like to know is on which parameter a music played is considered as HD by the Sonos app, in term of minimal bitrate or sample rate.

Airplay to Sonos is always played in stereo, regardless of the original format.

I honestly don’t know.  But my best guess is that it just looks for a lossles music format such as FLAC and labels it as HD.  I doubt it looks at bitrate at all or has any parameters. I really do think you are barking up the wrong tree here.  But as I say, I don’t know for certain how it works.

(I don’t know if it distinguishes between 16-biit ‘HD’ and 24-bit ‘Ultra HD’ and I have no inclination to investigate, I’m afraid.)