How to adjust volume across two pairs of Sonos using one speaker?

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 18 replies

Hi All,

I have two sonos ones (gen2) paired and now two fives paired in the same room.

Firstly I presumed giving the fives the same room name "kitchen" as the two ones would automatically group them into one set so that anything I did in the room would be applied to all speakers ...i.e adjusting the volume on one speaker would do the same to all 4. Currently it only applies to that single pair.

Within the app I have the two rooms grouped for volume and that all works ok. Within "System" the "Group" option is greyed out also.

Should I be able to use the physical volume button on my sonos one to also effect the five.

Pause/play/skip works across all speakers.

I bet this is an option but need some help please!?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @RocoH, thank you for reaching out and sorry for the late reply.

Yes, during group music playback will have a group/master volume in the app and even the physical buttons.

Are you experiencing issues? could you please get a diagnostic and reply to the confirmation here.

So we can take a closer look at your Sonos system.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Great Kyle, thanks for your reply.

Diagnostics number is 952519589

Like I say "Groups" is greyed out so I just have two sonos pairs (4 speakers) in my Kitchen but I have a pair in a room called Kitchen & another pair in a room called New Room within the app (although they are all in Kitchen or that's what intended if I was allowed).

Good to know it should work, so over to you please. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @RocoH, thank you for the update.

I checked the diagnostic, I can see both stereo pair rooms are grouped together and the firmware is on S2.

If you see “Kitchen + New Room” or “Kitchen + 1….” that means that the two rooms are grouped.

If you click Group again, you have the option to ungroup them.

I would like to see the screen with the greyed out Groups button, please take a screenshot and post it here. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @RocoH, thank you for the update.

I see you’re in the System settings screen. What I was referring to is the group button in the System(once called rooms in S1).

It’s the button in the middle in between the browse tab(music note) and the search tab(magnifying glass). It is the 4 up-right bars symbol.

That is where you group rooms together and ungroup them. For the master volume for the group, click the black bar with the indication that the two rooms are playing.

It will pop up a music controller and the volume slider will be at the bottom.

The Group in the system settings is for our new feature for the Sonos S2; You can create pre-made groupings if you have more than 2 rooms.

e.g. Group 1 with room2 and room3, Group 2 with room1 and room3, and Group 3 with all rooms grouped.

Here’s an article with a visual presentation. Group and ungroup rooms

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Kyle, 

Thanks again. I had this done already and it all works fine in the app, just not the physical volume buttons for the group.

The other buttoms pause/play/stop/skip work on any speaker for that group which is great but if i adjust the volume it only effects the stereo pair.

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @RocoH, thank you for the update.

I double-check our resources for the group volume control. Group and ungroup rooms

It only indicates the app having the master volume control. 

If that’s the case, it's working as intended.

Thinking about it, The pros and cons of having the master volume control work on the hardware volume control.

Pros, you don’t have to go to the app to change the group volume.

Cons, other people can change the volume by pressing the volume button on the speaker.

In any case, I’ll tag this thread as a feature our engineers can look into implementing. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ok, thanks Kyle, this is disappointing news as now my one room system is acting independently for volume control yet acting collectively for all other input control (play/pause/skip) on the speaker.

Outside of Alexa If I wish to turn down the sound promptly for the room I now have to go to each set of speaker pairs and do this or I have to find my fone to do it within the App or I have to stop the music altogether (since this will stop it for the complete room with one button press (ideal)).

Your Con argument doesn't really justify the lack of this feature in my opinion since "others" can still mess with the volume of the room for the speaker they press which will mess up any room sound anyway.

Do please pass this onto your engineers.

Thanks for your interest in trying to solve my issue. I appreciate it.

Regards

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @RocoH, will do, reach out if you need anything else.

Badge

This really surprised me.

Badge

Hi @RocoH, will do, reach out if you need anything else.

Any news on implementing this feature?

It makes so much sense! There is really no good reason for it not to be a feature.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Agree, its such an inconvenience. My wife keeps messing up my room setup my adjusting the volume on my ones which then separates them from the fives ...thinking she is turning down the entire room volume. It is just a natural thing to touch the speaker that is closest to us in the kitchen to adjust the volume but this oversight is annoying.....like I said in original post all other touch commands work for the group so why not this.

I too would like to hear feedback from the engineers that Kyle A fed this back to please.

+1 this seems silly to not be included in a dedicated music ecosystem. From a UX perspective I understand the decision I guess - it adds another layer of functionality to the speaker itself, and they are designed to be as simple and user friendly as possible. But for people who have multiple “rooms” within a large room, like an open floor plan, it’s very frustrating. I think having an option on a group would make sense. So after making a group, a toggle can be switched to allow all speakers in that group to have volume controlled as one whole group. 

UNIFIED PHYSICAL VOLUME CONTROL FOR GROUPED SPEAKERS! THIS ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO BE A FEATURE PLEASE. IT’S MENTAL THAT IT’S NOT. PLEASE CAN THE ENGINEERS STOP EXPECTING PEOPLE TO DO EVERYTHING THROUGH THE CUMBERSOME APP. NOBODY LIKES THE APP. THANK YOU