Answered

How Does Pause Work In A Group?

• 13 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 30 replies
I am new to Sonos and have a Connect:Amp and 6 x Play:1 speakers (and a Boost). I have set up the amp and speakers as a group (via the iPad Sonos app) and, just as I wanted, I play my iPod music through the amp's line-in to all the speakers throughout the house. I can adjust individual speaker volumes either on the app or on the speaker, but pressing pause on any speaker causes all speakers to pause. Is this the correct behaviour, and if so, how do I pause just one speaker in the group?
icon

Best answer by Edward R 13 February 2019, 11:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, Mel_L. Welcome to the community.

The long answer:
There was a time when the pause button was actually a mute button, and it would only affect that speaker in an entire group. After many complaints and a lot of feedback, Sonos opted to change this. Though that was at least 4 years ago, I don't remember exactly when.

The short answer:
What you are encountering is expected behaviour.

If you want to stop one speaker and one speaker alone, the volume button is the way to do that. You'd have to turn it all the way down. Do let me know if you have any further questions.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi there Edward R.

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I'll use the volume control. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.
Hi. That is the intended behaviour. You cannot pause just the one speaker, but you could mute it - that is just a special case of volume control.

Alternatively, you might get the desired result by a long press on the pause button. That will ungroup that speaker. A further long press will regroup it.

Have a go and let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi John B. That works! I've just tried a long press on the speaker pause button to ungroup it, and another long press to regroup it. That seems just what I want, it's easier than using the volume control and has the advantage that the original volume is maintained.
Great. But note that you don't need to slide the volume slider on the other method either (if using the app). Just tap the 'mute' to the left of the slider. Then tap again to bring it back at original volume. (I realise you are mainly talking about physical buttons here, but the app gives you separate control of all volumes.)
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
On the app you might need to tap the group volume control to show up all the zones. And then just as John says, tap the speaker icon at the left of the slider control to mute.

Good thread - I didn't know about the long press to group and ungroup. I will be playing with that!
I didn't know about the long press to group and ungroup. I will be playing with that!Yes it sneaked under the radar of lots of users. I think it was added with v8.0, and everyone's attention was on the app redesign. It proved to be a good day to bury good news. I use it most to transfer music when I move from room to room, rather than to group. Pause the music in the room you are in, walk to another room, long press - music transfers to new room. The conrtoller doesn't shift focus to the new room, but in fact that is logical in a multi-controller environment, given the switch isn't being done using a controller.