Question

How do you change the radio station or music on the new ui

• 23 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 9 replies
I am not a fan of the new UI. It seems to be designed to quickly save the radio you are listening too to a list and also group the speakers to send the music too . However if you want to change radio stations (possibly also music ) you have to jump through hoops to do it . I am sure I am missing something here so am sure you can correct my issue

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I'm using the Android app just in case YMMV. I haven't been happy with the new design, but after a little bit of reading on here I think I've cracked it. The key seems to be to have the tab bar (My sonos - Browse - Rooms - Search - More) visible at the bottom of the screen. Each of these seems to offer pretty much the same functionality as before, or close enough to keep me satisfied. When the track details are showing and I don't see the tab bar I swipe down on screen and it appears.

While this may be a case of famous last words, I think I have finally learned enough about the new design to ease my frustration.
I'm using the Android app just in case YMMV. I haven't been happy with the new design, but after a little bit of reading on here I think I've cracked it. The key seems to be to have the tab bar (My sonos - Browse - Rooms - Search - More) visible at the bottom of the screen. Each of these seems to offer pretty much the same functionality as before, or close enough to keep me satisfied. When the track details are showing and I don't see the tab bar I swipe down on screen and it appears.

While this may be a case of famous last words, I think I have finally learned enough about the new design to ease my frustration.
You have indeed cracked it, that is the essence of using the new app.

On the OP's specific query on radio stations, here are some suggestions.

1. To find initially a station you want to listen to, the best way is to tap Search on the tab bar, then tap Stations at the top of the screen. Either tap in the text entry field or tap Search again to bring up your device's keyboard and enter the name of your station.
2. When you have located the station, just tap it to play. But if it is a station you will listen to very frequently, tap the three dots to the right of its name and select Save to My Sonos. Also do Save to My Stations.
3. If it is a station that you listen to from time to time, but isn't really one of your favourites, just do Save to My Stations.

Once you have done this for the stations you listen to, you can find them again easily. On the tab bar, tap Browse, Radio by TuneIn, My Stations. To see only your favourites, tap My Sonos and they should be there under 'Stations'..

For any other sources of music, if you want to pick a particular source, like your Music Library, or line-in, or Spotify, tap Browse. To search across sources tap Search.

But as @clogs said, if you keep coming back to the tab bar, you will soon be navigating with ease.

I hope that helps.
Badge +1
On the iPhone the tool bar at the bottom of the screen is not always displayed . Tthink I have cracked it . The screen in question is the one that displays what is being listen too on one of the sonos groups . I would have thought this would be the screen to change the music . Instead all you can do is pause , change what is part of the group add what you are listening too , to a favourite list . But cannot change the radio station etc . To do it you have to go back to the rooms screen so that the bar at the bottom is displayed allowing changes to the what you are listening too . You can only get off this screen by swiping the screen down . So takes three mouse clicks . Would be reduced to 2 if the bar at the bottom was still displayed . I think it’s actually a bug
It isn't a bug it's deliberate, but I hope they change it and I am just one of many who have requested this.