How do I stop update requests?

• 24 November 2014
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm a long-time Sonos user who is very disappointed that Sonos has made my iPad1 (four of them) incompatible with the latest update. I understand not being able to use the latest features, but to make them completely unusable to me is bad policy (in conjunction with Apple).

Anyway, I have declined to update to the latest update (I currently have two iPhone 5/6 along with the four iPad1). My question is how do I stop Sonos from nagging me to update? Every few times I go into the app, I get the update message. I thought there was a way to stop those alerts. If so, how?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
not sure why your putting on really old thread - current info regarding lock down etc. here

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index1.html
AVOID PERMANENT LATEST SONOS UPDATE - Solution found

Hi to all,
100% fully agreeing with all what was said about SONOS fecal-mindset policy since raughly 5 years.
Being an antic customer since 2004, + having been a prescriptor for 40-50 Sonos units around me, I can tell you SONOS was much less greedy and locking their Customers in the past.

That said, problem is we face both : Sonos policy combined with Google/Android & Apple/iOS policies.
All of these nowadays unfair people are aligned to push for hardware obsolescence from firmware permanent shift making your device controllers to be un-usable and out of order.

My case is a pair of Sonos CR100 controllers perfectly working nicely (with some restricted functions since Sonos FW v.: 6.2 ? ) Anyway, they perform the requested job, I need, even with Sonos Fw 8.4.
+ About nowadays missing functions, I have others (Mac OSX Controlers) .

IF I move to Sonos Fw 8.5 , then I will fully loose the use of my loyal CR100 pair.

SOLUTION is :
1 - Stop GooglePlayStore (and/or Apple AppStore) Automatic updates (as mention from previous & judicious post in this thread). Not always easy to only stop this for Sonos Apps ONLY.
This has to be worked out onto every/all controller you use into the considered "Sonos Network".

2 - Uninstall the Sonos Apps the (controler) Android device considered.

3 - Connect to https://www.aptoide.com/ (European website (initially Portuguese created) promoting independent Android Apps Stores allowing to manage Apps versioning according to Customer needs.

Install Aptoide App (is a free play store or AppleStore)
+ Allows requested authorization/ Android rights
(simply fellow indications, but do not confuse with promoted advertising)
+
Install Sonos Apps Fw.: 8.4 from Aptoide store.
please find direct link is :
https://sonos.en.aptoide.com/?store_name=denergod&app_id=35437811

Please note :
— It should be same process playable from Aptoide with iPhone Apple devices.

— Aptoide has a feature to lock some Apps (eg. Sonos) to a given version, while you can let others Apps with Automated updates.

Hoping this will help the community.

As of today, I performed succesfully this with Huawei P10/Android 8 (Oreo) & Honor 9/ Android 7 (Nougat) ... works finely.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
THAT IS REALLY BEEING HOSTAGE.. OR I ACCEPT THE NEW TERM OF THE POLICIES.. OR I CAN'T USE THE CONTROLLER.. I'M GOING TO SUE SONOS FOR ALL THAT
After your case is thrown out I'll be happy to buy your Sonos gear at a discount so you can pay for your legal fees.
THAT IS REALLY BEEING HOSTAGE.. OR I ACCEPT THE NEW TERM OF THE POLICIES.. OR I CAN'T USE THE CONTROLLER.. I'M GOING TO SUE SONOS FOR ALL THAT

Uhhhhh, yeeeeah. Good luck with that lawsuit. :8
so frustrating .. want to return them.. that is not what I bought. I DON'T WANT TO UPDATE ANYMORE.. I DON'T WANT TO ACCEPT PRIVACY POLICIES I CAN'T READ.... !!!!!
I didn't mean inferior feature-wise, because I don't know anything about any other use-case than my own, which is:
-selecting albums by composer, artist or album name from my library
-Sonos favourites (which are my favourite radio stations).

I bought a cheap Android mobile some weeks ago and tried the app.
Scrolling through the library by the first letters was tricky, compared to the CR200 at least.
I slipped off the narrow area where you can scroll down, every second letter I had to start all over again.
Not once I managed to get to 'ZZ Top' or even 'Jethro Tull' as quick as with my CR200!
I was so disappointed I gave it back.
THB I don't remember the iOS app too well, but I had the impression that it was quite similar to the CR200, as far as that power-scrolling is concerned, or isn't it?
Sorry if I was wrong there.

Or was it just this cheap phone?
Does it become usable with larger screen size, resolution or newer Android version?
(I had a 5" Android 5.1 phone..)

Sorry for highjacking this thread!
[...] This doesn't leave too many options:
-Buy a cheap Android device as dedicated controller
Inferior to the CR200 and to the iOS app.

In what way is the Sonos Controller on Android inferior to that on iOS? I'm familiar with both, there's no feature disparity save for Trueplay.
Yes, is seems like that's the only weak point of Sonos for me, too.
How I loved my Sonos when I bought it, and I loved it just like it was.

But then my iPod was obsoleted (by Apple, everybody says), then my CR200 lost some functions, yesterday it died.
The Android App doesn't allow power scrolling the same way the CR200 did and I won't buy Apple anymore.
The Windows desktop controller... really nothing you want to use at your dinner table.
Third party app on my Windows mobile... you can't use the hardware buttons on a Windows mobile.
This doesn't leave too many options:
-Buy a cheap Android device as dedicated controller
Inferior to the CR200 and to the iOS app.
-Buy a used iOS device as dedicated controller
Won't do that again. Who knows when the powers that be decide that iOS9 isn't good enough anymore?
-Buy one or more old CR100s and/or CR200s.
And if only I could prevent Tom, Dick and Harry from updating, that's what I would do.
But since anybody can press 'Check for updates' if he feels like it (or just can't read yet!) I won't buy old controllers:
Who knows when Sonos decides that they won't support their old hardware anymore?
(And I read between the lines for some time now that it won't be long..)

Well, but there's no point in selling the Sonos gear either, as long as there is no better alternative!
At least for me there isn't.
Nothing beats the CR200 so far. (The simplicity of this thing was why I bought Sonos in the first place!)
Hell, I might just buy a used one anyway!
Just today, I can't use my playbar if I don't Update.. I don't want to update, because like you I lost control of the Sonos with my old Ipads.. How can we block the updates? I don't want to updates... I bought something 3 years ago, and Sonos is forcing me to change it in something else. I don't want to change it, it is fine like it is.. Sonos, take back your stuff and give me back my money but I don't want to accept all your changes.
Userlevel 1
Purchased the SonoPad app and can say I am pleasantly surprised...it should be just fine as a replacement for my 1st gen iPads.

The only thing I can't seem to find is a Mute button...is there one, or is the assumption that you would just use Pause?

Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Or just use Sonospad on your iPad1s... it's pretty decent.

Ok, thanks...did not know about that app.
Or just use Sonospad on your iPad1s... it's pretty decent.
I updated over the air/wireless.... If I do an iCloud restore to a previous backup, will that revert back to the version I had or will the system force an update to the current version?

Thanks.

Depends.

If you have not updated the entire Sonos system (i.e. - the boxes), then you should not be forced to upgrade by Sonos.

If any or all of the actual Sonos unit have been updated (Play:X, SUB, Playbar, Connect, Connect:Amp, Controller [CR100/CR200]), then all other Controllers may need to follow to v5.2. I know the 'Boxes' need to be consistent across firmware versions. Controllers have some limited flexibility on version miss-match.

If it's just your iPhone on v5.2, then the concept I suggested should work.

I do not use iCloud so I cannot speak to what is stored there. If the iCloud has your current App purchases, it may just 're-restore' the v5.2 Sonos App. If the iCloud restore is an actual snapshot of a previous iPhone setup, you may get lucky and have the older Sonos App version available.

Can't hurt to try...Other than the time involved.

Gotta ask - You do not have any iTMS Apps stored on your computer? All done through the iCloud?

Best of Luck
Userlevel 1
I updated over the air/wireless.... If I do an iCloud restore to a previous backup, will that revert back to the version I had or will the system force an update to the current version?

Thanks.
Okay, did I just screw myself?

Possibly.

Did you update your iPhone "Over-The-Air" (OTA) or from iTunes?

i.e. - Where did you download the Sonos App from the iTMS? Computer-iTunes-to-iPhone sync, or Direct OTA to the phone?

If (big 'if') you keep Apps on your computer via iTunes, then your previous version Sonos App may still be available; either in your Trash or still in the computer's App Directory within iTunes.

If you can find your specific Apple-ID tagged prior Sonos App, you can place it back into the iTunes App Directory (removing or deleting the 5.2 Sonos App), delete the Sonos 5.2 App from your iPhone 6, then re-sync your phone via iTunes to recover the Sonos version you lost.

That's the general concept, but without more details from you, more specific help is a guesswork.

Post back with what you actually did and still have...

Best of Luck
I strongly suggest looking into Sonopad, an alternative Sonos controller app that works extremely well on the original iPad and its old IOS version.
Userlevel 1
Okay, did I just screw myself?

iPhone App store showed a new update for Sonos today, so I installed as usual. It now appears I cannot use the Sonos app on my iPhone 6 without updating all the components (i.e., my five zone players)...but if I update the other components, my 4 iPad1's will become orphans and be completely unable to be used.

Is this correct? If so, I am going to be EXTREMELY upset with Sonos and Apple. The last update (which started this whole mess) did not require me to reset the iPhone controller...it just promoted me every so often, and I could respond "not now." It appears the latest update is not giving me the same opportunity.

Shame on Sonos if that is the case.
Badge +3
I am sure you already know this, but if you got newer iPads you won't get the update requests. Kidding aside I traded in my generation 1 iPad when Target was giving $200.00 gift cards last year. There may be other offers out there.
Dave
It's irritating for some folks that disabling the 'check for updates' setting won't remove the nag once the genie's already out of the bottle, but that's the way things are.
Userlevel 1
Ok, thanks. At least I now know I wasn't missing some setting.
You can't. Once the system knows that an update is available that menu item will persist.