how do I remove a room

How do you remove a room from your system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Robert, If you wish to remove a room, simply disconnect the corresponding device(s) from power. Should you instead wish to rename a device, right-click on the room name, select 'Room Settings' and set any name.
Incomplete. In my prior residence I had Sonos hooked up to my two-channel hi-if system. That system does not exist anymore in my new crib. Yet Sonos keeps it alive as ghost room. Why can't I just click to delete?
Hi Philip. That seems very odd. Has this gone on for long? I frequently change my configuration and Sonos keeps up. Have you tried a complete power cycle of your system? Uninstalling and reinstalling controller? It shouldn't be necessary, I know, but then generally it isn't! John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Thanks for the reply.   

Sonos has been rigged in my new place for four days.  The ghost room was a wired two channel hi-fi in California.   Now in Nashville that system is not even out of the box.

Yes, on power cycling the system.  

No on a reset.  I subscribe to many music services with unique passwords.  Worse is, I have 30 favorites many with unique URLs for high bit streaming.   That is a major pain to reinstall.

Reset is desperado mode.   This is so weird to me.  Everything else about Sonos is dead easy.   Just works.  Not this.
Thanks for the reply.   

Sonos has been rigged in my new place for four days.  The ghost room was a wired two channel hi-fi in California.   Now in Nashville that system is not even out of the box.

No on a reset.  I subscribe to many music services with unique passwords.  Worse is, I have 30 favorites many with unique URLs for high bit streaming.   That is a major pain to reinstall.

Reset is desperado mode.   This is so weird to me.  Everything else about Sonos is dead easy.   Just works.  Not this.

Hi.  I was querying only an uninstall and reinstall of Sonos controller(s), not the whole system, which I wouldn't recommend at all.  I'm pretty sure that Favourites, music services etc are stored in the system, not the Controllers (although maybe you ought to get a second opinion on that!).  Do you have multiple controllers and if so does the ghost room crop up on all? 
Thanks for the reply.   

Yes - on all.  I uninstalled and reinstalled all controllers (6).  No change.
I too have a ghost room from a prior configuration that didn't work. I created 2 new rooms, one for my Play 5s, and one for my Play 1s, both work, but I cannot delete the ghost room. It would be very useful to delete it from my rooms list, as it is the first of 3 in the list on the left of the Sonos Controller, and it confuses me sometimes on Sonos Startup, because it is selected by default and does not work. Any solution for this would be very much appreciated, because I, and every member of my family trip on this ghost room on Sonos Startup; and we loose time figuring out why our music doesn't play.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would call Sonos support.  There is something very wrong in that the room is hanging on your controller.  Short of starting your system from scratch I don't know what you can do.  But phone support may.
how come nobody answered the question ? How do you uninstall a room ?
Unplug the speaker. What do you actually want to do?
Rename the speaker as another name? Not sure what the question really means, to be honest, which is why I'd not answered. But John B is right on, as usual. If you unplug the speaker, the room name it carries will go away, assuming it's not part of a stereo pair.
Hi everyone,

I had the same dilemma the other. I wanted to remove my Play 1 speaker to pair up with a 2nd Play 1 and link them to the sound bar in the lounge. I created a new room called "Lounge Room"and grouped them together after tuning and het presto.

There is currently no option to remove removes from the setup, sadly.

Hope this helps
Since a "room" is a speaker, or a set of speakers, there's really no way to "remove" a room. You can change the name of the room, or you can, as Straker has done, pair a set of speakers so that they become a single "room".
I was attempting to replace a Play 1 as a surround sound speaker in my Playroom and instead added it to the system as a speaker in a new room: Playroom 2. I wanted to remove Playroom 2.
What I ended up doing was removing the surrounds from Playroom, and then telling Sonos to add new surrounds. I had to press the two buttons on top of the speaker to get the system to see it, and then it prompted me and said "this will remove the speaker from Playroom 2." So it added the speaker to Playroom, and then Playroom 2 disappeared from the list of rooms. Hope this is helpful.
These suggestions don't help me. I created a room accidentally that has NO SPEAKER in it. The original name for the room still exists and I can just change the name, but how do I delete the room I do not want if it has no speaker in it??????
I’d try moving a speaker in to that room (in software, not physically....English, so imprecise). Once the room has that speaker, I think it would get rid of the phantom, so you could then re-move the speaker back to where it was.
I will try it. Thanks for the speedy reply.
Ran in to a similar issue in a move a couple of months ago. I had a room showing up as a stere pair which hadn’t had one before the move. For me, I was able to unpair that stereo pair, and the ? speaker disappeared. Not sure what’s going on, theoretically, the software should never have a room without a speaker, so there is something odd there, to be sure