Question

How can I AVOID the S2 upgrade

• 10 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am happy with my s1 controller. My system works fine and integrates well with Alexa. Having read the multiple negative reviews of S2, I merely want to hold off at least in upgrading to it. But the problem is that when I open my Sonos s1 app, I cannot access any of its features because there is an upgrade screen that I cannot get past. Why on earth would Sonos not at least allow people to keep the s-1 application functional? 

How can I get past the upgrade screen? Under the "other options' menu there is only "reset" and I'm afraid to try that lest It screw up my existing s1 application.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There is nothing wrong with S2 although the migration process from S1 to S2 can be a tricky one. You just had to stay way from to 'Settings → System → About my Sonos System'. I assume that you split the system into S1/S2.

Is this process reversible?

While we don’t recommend downgrading your products to S1 after updating to S2, it is possible to downgrade by resetting the S2 products to their factory settings and adding them to an existing S1 system. An existing Sonos product running S1 software is required to downgrade an S2 product back to S1. Note that all settings and preferences will be lost when downgrading a product from S2 to S1.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for your reply Smilja. But I think you misunderstand. I have NOT  updated to S2. I just cannot use my S1 app anymore because I cannot bypass the update screen to access the system. Crazy!

@DrVJMJ, Please post a screengrab of ‘Settings → System → About my System’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Click on “About My System” on that final page and share the results. Smilja’s request likely wont work as you can’t get to Settings.

Hello. I'm facing the same issue as DrVJMJ... I have not updated to S2, and don't want to. I have three Play: 3 units, which ARE compatible with S1. But when I open the app, it says I need to upgrade to S2 and it doesn't let me get past that screen, meaning I can't listen to music. Any ideas on how to tell the app that I don't want S2 and will continue with S1?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you have large fonts or a zoomed screen try setting them back to small and see if a button was pushed off-screen.