Answered

Help, I'm compatible to S2, but should I upgrade????

Hi, Long time reader, first time poster….

Hoping for some advice/reassurance. I have about 8 SONOS speakers, ranging from two Play 1s, and a Play 3, through a Gen2 play 5, a sound bar, a beam and two Symfonisk book shelf speakers. All of them show as compatible with the new S2 software/app, but I've read so many reports of people's speakers not working that I'm nervous about upgrading. Has anyone with speakers listed as compatible had system issues after upgrading, or have any recommendations over upgrading or not? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by controlav 7 July 2020, 00:30

I would wait for now. S2 offers nothing for you, unless you buy the fancy new hardware, so wait until the bugs are shaken out.

View original

4 replies

Every update brings a couple dozen posters who insist there is some widespread bug in the update.  99.99% of the time, the user has network problems that were uncovered by the update process. 

To let you know what an actual bug is like, the Playbar once had an actual bug that manifested itself in just a portion of units.  The main thread on the problem hit 100 pages in a couple days, and there were a couple dozen minor threads on top of that.  

I’ve got around 18 speakers, and had no difficulty upgrading. That being said, right now there are not any features in S2 other than local streaming of hi-res files, so if you’re not interested in that p, there isn’t much of a reason to update. Beyond, of course, getting rid of the nag. 

Thanks guys, usually I’m fairly gung ho and would just update. I think it’s the potentially that none of the speakers will work, and that’s then a lot of money down the tube. They’re all listed as compatible, and I did the system check. I’m just being nervous.

and yes Bruce, the nag is real!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I would wait for now. S2 offers nothing for you, unless you buy the fancy new hardware, so wait until the bugs are shaken out.