Question

Has anyone else given up on the Sonos app and use native music apps?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This whole S2 experience is just crap Sonos. Far from being a new app it’s clearly built over the old app as a bug from S1 carried over to S2. But now I can’t get Apple Music library to populate in the app, phone support is a joke - doesn’t even know Apple Music had a library function. 

has anyone else given up on the Sonos app and just use airplay 2 or Spotify connect etc now? 

it just seems pathetic that to get a stable Sonos experience I have to use another companies music app to get that stability. 

ive been using Sonos for ten years now. Every time they do something new they screw up the overall experience just a little bit more. 

Sonos, please stop! Stop with new products. Stop with new software. Stop with new features. Stop until you get what you have now working 100% first. You are very quickly becoming the Microsoft Windows of Music. 

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m sorry you’re having problems, but I really think you’re in the minority. My S2 System, app, all speakers, and Music Library are working fine. So: no, I’ve not given up on the Sonos app. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m sorry you’re having problems, but I really think you’re in the minority. My S2 System, app, all speakers, and Music Library are working fine. So: no, I’ve not given up on the Sonos app. 

Thank you for your reply. However just because you have no issues, does not make me the “minority” especially as this forum is littered with posts about tech issues with S2. And your experience does not invalidate my own. And as a very long term user I think I can speak with a little authority about the long term user experience. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Check how many speakers Sonos have sold. It’s in the millions. I think you’re in the minority. 

It’s certainly human nature that those of us who are not experiencing any issues don’t flock to the forums to post about their lack of such. Your statement is similar to walking into a hospital, and complaining that there are a lot of sick people. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Check how many speakers Sonos have sold. It’s in the millions. I think you’re in the minority. 

Again, that means nothing and you are trying to invalidate my issues. I would argue most Sonos customers dont even know this community exists. 

and this issue is software based, that means it can not just be me. If the app has issues then those issues will be replicated as it’s the same software. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

It’s certainly human nature that those of us who are not experiencing any issues don’t flock to the forums to post about their lack of such. Your statement is similar to walking into a hospital, and complaining that there are a lot of sick people. 

It’s more like Nik goes to the hospital and tells all the sick people there is nothing wrong with them because nik is not sick. 

@KM4ME . The app is just a remote control and so most of what you have written makes no sense whatsoever. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@KM4ME . The app is just a remote control and so most of your post makes no sense whatsoever. 

Another helpful post. Thank you for your contribution. 

sonos community filled with people telling others with issues to go away it’s all in your head. I don’t have the same issue so you are lying. 

great. 

I was trying to help by pointing out your apparent misconceptions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I was trying to help by pointing out your apparent misconceptions.

What misconceptions? Until the S2 update last week, I did not have this issue. Now I do. And support are no help despite a 45 min phone call yesterday. What misconception do you refer to?

The idea that this has anything to do with the app would be my starting point. It's like blaming problems with your television on the TV remote.

Look, you have genuine problems with your system. They aren't generic or there would be thousands of posts by now. Check out the threads on the bass on the new Arc for what happens on this forum when a genuine bug gets through, even though it affects a miniscule proportion of the total user base.

You have no hope of getting a resolution to your genuine issues if the anger is completely misdirected.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

You have no hope of getting a resolution to your genuine issues if the anger is completely misdirected.

So where in your opinion should my “anger” be directed? When I go into the Sonos app>Apple Music>my music>albums and they are no longer there (but we’re until that lasted update last week) what prey tell do you think I should do? Should I contact my local supermarket? Perhaps an airline?

or should I contact the manufacturer of the product and software for a resolution? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

and this issue is software based, that means it can not just be me. If the app has issues then those issues will be replicated as it’s the same software. 

As I said in my first reply,

I’m sorry you’re having problems, but I really think you’re in the minority. My S2 System, app, all speakers, and Music Library are working fine. So: no, I’ve not given up on the Sonos app.” (I’ve added the emphasis here.)

How do you know it’s software based? How are you sure it’s not your system/network/wifi/firewall? Surely a software problem would affect everyone on S2?

Do you want to tell us more about your problems, any error messages you get when you try to update the library, and try to help you sort your system, or shall we all let you have the final word, without you actually resolving your problems?

BTW, I do note that no-one else has come onto this thread and said they have given up on the app!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Can you please go away Nik. You are not trying to help. You just want to argue and tell me it’s all my fault.  

ive already spoken to Sonos support, such that it is support these days, and it has been acknowledged as a fault and escalated to the engineers. So I think if they can acknowledge the fault, you can too. 

this thread is not about the actual fault, it’s about the continuing decline in stability and user experience that I have observed over ten years as a Sonos user. I have posted a thread in the music services section for the actual fault. 

I actually dread opening the Sonos app these days. It’s such a negative experience I don’t want to use it. I have to turn to other companies apps to get a useful experience. Now you may disagree, good for you. But that doesn’t make you right or me wrong. And Sonos should be open to the feedback from all users. Especially one who used to talk up Sonos to anyone who will listen, and now just says “get a Bluetooth speaker , it’s just easier compared to Sonos now” 

There was once a release that caused an actual problem with a fraction of Playbars out there, which is a single Sonos device.  The main thread hit 100 pages in a few days, and spawned a couple dozen other threads all over this forum.  That’s what an actual “software engineering problem” looks like. 

So . . . Do you want to solve your local problem with help from so called “quasi-employees” that have fixed similar problems thousands of times, or would you rather hurl childish insults?

Ball’s in your court now.  

19 days, less than a page of posts, half of them not complaining, and I’m “throwing feces”.

*sigh*

PS - Yes, I am a Software Engineer.  30 years experience.  But you’ve already stated you don’t want my help.  As to the Sonos folks, they are paid to placate your nonsense,  We don’t have that burden.  Though, perhaps when the thread gets to two pages someone might take you seriously.  :joy: