Has any posting here EVER produced anything ?

Userlevel 2
I have been a Sonos user, and have spent a LOT of money on their products since 2005.

I have posted a few high priority, low difficulty suggestions over the years, and have watched *many, many* others do the same, and have not ever seen a SINGLE suggestion implemented.

Can anyone name a single user-submitted suggestion that has been implemented by Sonos ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Each update makes the GUI worse.

Mod edit: Please stick to the guidelines when posting.
Badge
I have been a Sonos user, and have spent a LOT of money on their products since 2005.

I have posted a few high priority, low difficulty suggestions over the years, and have watched *many, many* others do the same, and have not ever seen a SINGLE suggestion implemented.

Can anyone name a single user-submitted suggestion that has been implemented by Sonos ?

They are too concerned about the Logo color and then sending out a survey to ask which color you like better 😉 I feel the same way. Asking for Groups / Zones since years... but hey, Logo color is more important ...
The jagtie doth protest too much, methinks.
You are going to need better bait than that, son. LOL @ amateurs! 😛
@Gavin, lol come on having a laugh? you obviously edited that list. Surely you can't have us believe that it took a suggestion from a customer to add such gems as "Ctrl-click select in Desktop Controller."
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Please don't dig these old posts up.
Iam now worried why the op jurium , has not come back after 2 years, like he promised ;O))
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Updated

Few lists in operational software products are not sortable in this day and age.

I disagree. Perhaps I hang out in different areas, but in my experience relatively few programs offer an easy sort option -- especially phone and pad based applications.

That said, I would appreciate a SONOS sort function.
It is quite possible that only a limit number of people can find it there.

Considering there is no direct link to this forum from the Sonos Support page, I would suggest that the opposite is true. That is, most people would find it at ask.Sonos before they ever find it here.

Having two support areas is not a good way of doing business.

Correction, Sonos has multiple support areas. There's here (user support), ask.sonos (Support staff support), FAQ support, phone support, e-mail support, video support, Online Users Guides, etc. IMHO, giving people a multiple number of ways to seek out support is a great way of doing business.

Adding a sort feature is a no brainer feature, no matter how many happen to "like" it when noted. Few lists in operational software products are not sortable in this day and age.

As a working Software Engineer for 20+ years, if I had a dollar for every time some user stated something was a "no brainer", I'd have retired 10 years ago. Simple fact: Unless you know the architecture, stating something is a "no brainer" will more likely end up describing yourself than it describes the difficulty of the task
Userlevel 1
Badge
As pointed out earlier, this thread has largely been superseded by the activity over at ask.sonos.com the last couple of years.

As it happens the thread on ask.sonos for sorting Sonos Playlists has attracted only 44 'likes' to date, which hardly makes it one of the most popular to say the least.

It is quite possible that only a limit number of people can find it there.

Having two support areas is not a good way of doing business.

Adding a sort feature is a no brainer feature, no matter how many happen to "like" it when noted. Few lists in operational software products are not sortable in this day and age.
Userlevel 2
I would have responded to this sooner, but when I forgot my password, the link I was sent brought me right back to the login page.
The point in the OP remains. I am a relatively recent one to join SONOS and I find that almost every time I think of a feature that I would really like, such as sorting SONOS playlists, it has been requested for 4 years or more.
As pointed out earlier, this thread has largely been superseded by the activity over at ask.sonos.com the last couple of years.

As it happens the thread on ask.sonos for sorting Sonos Playlists has attracted only 44 'likes' to date, which hardly makes it one of the most popular to say the least.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I will second that, their phone service is fantastic, even when its my router problems they have gone out of their way to fix it. Without phone support i would be stuffed.

Support is different than having solid features in the software. They have to help you get things setup or you will return (in many cases at least) what you have purchased.

They can continue ignoring feature requests since those will mostly not have people leave and thus cost them money.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hahaha, this thread is the greatest "screw you" to a snarky-assed question in history.

The point in the OP remains. I am a relatively recent one to join SONOS and I find that almost every time I think of a feature that I would really like, such as sorting SONOS playlists, it has been requested for 4 years or more.

This is not responsive customer service.

They need more competition. The concept is great, but the implementation is poor. Adding new services is certainly good, but work on basic features in the system as well. These products are not cheap!

Sorting has been around for a VERY long time on computers. How could it not be a part of SONOS, for example?
Airplay connected to a line-in support is NOT Airplay !!!! And how many SONOS devices have line-in ? And line-in is analogue.

My £80 Apple TV has Airplay (obviously). Using an analogue output from an Airplay receiver which is then connected to an analogue input of a SONOS device (which most don't have anyway) is NOT Airplay !!!!

No one is arguing this. You are replying to a thread that was abandoned years ago due to ask.Sonos. Complaints about Airplay should take place over there.:rolleyes:
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Dear freeflyer,

AirPlay is licensed by Apple for quite a considerable price. There are "cost free" seemingly reverse engineered software solutions, I would assume however, that Sonos would not / could not / is not allowed to use those (e.g. Shairport).

So, to be able to support AirPlay, Sonos would need to play a REALLY considerable amount of money for the AirPlay license (do a search for the costs, it might raise the price of a single unit by 100$). If it somehow could be implemented in the old devices (other than e.g. a new "Airplay Connect" kind of thing), Sonos might even need to pay for every single installed player (no idea, if it is really like that).

So, there are technical and surely mainly financial reasons why we have not seen direct Airplay support.

Apart from that: keep in mind that a considerable amount of Sonos users does not use iOS/Apple and therefore would have no use for Airplay.

The "solution" with an Airport express is maybe not the prettiest, but it works (I have it implemented here with a Play5) and is comparably cost effective. A dedicated "Airplay Connect" could be nice, but would it sell in the same volumes as the rest of Sonos' equipment? I highly doubt it.
Airplay support, via an Airport Express connected to a line-in, most certainly was added to Sonos. They even customized the interface to allow for a special buffer for Airplay. Integrated Airplay support was not added, but that is not what the entry claimed.

Airplay connected to a line-in support is NOT Airplay !!!! And how many SONOS devices have line-in ? And line-in is analogue.

My £80 Apple TV has Airplay (obviously). Using an analogue output from an Airplay receiver which is then connected to an analogue input of a SONOS device (which most don't have anyway) is NOT Airplay !!!!
Airplay has NOT been added to SONOS ????

Airplay support, via an Airport Express connected to a line-in, most certainly was added to Sonos. They even customized the interface to allow for a special buffer for Airplay. Integrated Airplay support was not added, but that is not what the entry claimed.
Dozens:

User submitted suggestions that have come to fruition:

Airplay

Airplay has NOT been added to SONOS ????
Userlevel 2

Google Play Music got implemented, quite nicely too as you can stream from the app or do it from within Sonos. It took forever but they nailed the execution of it.
Userlevel 2
Hahaha, this thread is the greatest "screw you" to a snarky-assed question in history.
Thanks. That list is just a very small subset of what is posted at the beginning of this thread and also a lot harder to read.
Perhaps you should re-read the jgatie post you quoted:
the purpose for the list has been made redundant by the "Implemented" list at ask.sonos, so I've stopped adding to it

These forums long pre-dated ask.sonos.com which is why the list here is so extensive. There may be a small overlap between our list and ask.sonos.com but all new ideas are now over on the other forum.
Userlevel 2
Thanks. That list is just a very small subset of what is posted at the beginning of this thread and also a lot harder to read.
Just where is this 'implemented' list? The link you provided to a Sonos 'Conversations' page with almost 10,000 conversations. I see no 'implemented' on that page and when I searched for it in the search box I just a list of conversations with that word in them.
Try here.
Userlevel 2
The original list was much smaller. I simply took the "Sound Ideas" forum and started at the beiginning. Every thread that was implemented was listed, usually by cutting and pasting the title. After that, release notes were compared with forum requests, and the release notes were cut and pasted.

Since then, the purpose for the list has been made redundant by the "Implemented" list at ask.sonos, so I've stopped adding to it:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos?topics[status]=complete&topics[type]=idea

Just where is this 'implemented' list? The link you provided to a Sonos 'Conversations' page with almost 10,000 conversations. I see no 'implemented' on that page and when I searched for it in the search box I just a list of conversations with that word in them.