Hardware Volume Control

• 24 May 2014
  • 4 replies

Have noticed that the Google Play Music app, even while casting to Sonos, can be controlled via my 'droid tablet's hardware volume control, even when using another app, like the web browser.

Can't do the same thing with the Sonos app. It's obviously possible, Sonos ought to figure out how to make it work, as it's very convenient.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Err, you CAN use the volume buttons on Android and, I think, on iOS to control the volume, have been able to for some time.
Err, you CAN use the volume buttons on Android and, I think, on iOS to control the volume, have been able to for some time.

Yes, so long as you're inside the Sonos app. With Google, the hardware volume controls work without having to switch to the app. I can set the volume on my Sonos amp right now, while typing into this browser window. Can't do that with the Sonos app, at least on my tablet (ASUS tf700t).
Userlevel 1
Yes, so long as you're inside the Sonos app. With Google, the hardware volume controls work without having to switch to the app. I can set the volume on my Sonos amp right now, while typing into this browser window. Can't do that with the Sonos app, at least on my tablet (ASUS tf700t).

Hmm, I wouldn't want it to do that to be honest, I like the volume controls to be focused on whatever's in the foreground, not something in the background.

-1 from me.
Hmm, I wouldn't want it to do that to be honest, I like the volume controls to be focused on whatever's in the foreground, not something in the background.

-1 from me.

Well, to me, it's very nice to have. Instant volume control, no need to switch apps. Google also works from the lock screen, which is perhaps why hardware volume control works anywhere. :dunno:

Edit: When the hardware volume control is used, the small volume dialog shows not the usual speaker icon, but a streaming icon. Expanding the dialog allows one to set either the remote renderer's volume, or the local volume, as shown:

http://chicksolutions.com/ak/Sonos/IMG_20140524_200925.jpg