Question

Grouping problems

• 19 January 2017
  • 4 replies

Since the last software update, I have found that grouping devices no longer works reliably. Grouping either doesn't happen or the devices drop out of groupings randomly. Is this a problem others are having? Is there a fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Badge
I have noticed this since the 7.1 update. It is always my home cinema group dropping out and it comes back without intervention about 15 secs later. Never had this issue prior to the upgrade.
Follow the above advice.
Hi I have a system installed in our open plan living area: an amp driving two ceiling speakers and the a Play 5 and finally a playbar and sub that also act as speakers for a TV. My issue is that I can set up a group with all three elements, balance the volume between three elements is fine, however after watching the tv and if I revert to Spotify/music I find the grouping and volume balance has been completely lost and I have to remake it again ( pain). Am I doing something wrong??