Grouping controllers not working on Version 5

I updated to release 5.0 build 26177021 this morning and the controller grouping function is no longer working. On both the App and desk top version it appears they are grouped but music will only play on a individual controller. Each controller will play individually but not grouped.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Stevan,

The grouping issues could be due to latency with the Sonos system. This could be due to a connection issue with your network or interference with the system. 

Take a look at this link, it has possible causes and potential solutions to help with this. Sometimes changes as minor as making sure to separate your wireless router and the Sonos devices by three or more feet, or as far as the cable allows, will improve audio streaming.

Other quick step you could try would be to: 
Reboot your router. Unplug your router from power for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in to power. Wait for the network to come back up. Then test the connection again. 

Please submit a diagnostic if you are still experiencing the issue and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here. 
Userlevel 2
I'm having a similar issue.  I submit a diagnostic confirmation number is: 4218047.  I have several Sonos speakers. I've never had a problem grouping speakers until recently.  I'm attempting to group the speakers currently marked as Kitchen and TV Room... but they won't play together.  Individually the speakers work just fine. But as soon as I pair them in a group only one of the two speakers will play.  What's up?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I'm having a similar issue.  
Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for the diagnostic. There may be a wireless setting conflict between your network and your Sonos system. Sonos is currently on channel 11 and from what I am seeing it looks like your network is on the same channel. 

Please try changing the Sonos wireless channel to channel 1. Then please log into your router and check the wireless channel. If your network is on channel 11, ensure that it is not 'Auto-channeling' which means it changes it's wireless channel periodically and could potentially land on the same channel as Sonos and cause conflict. 

Let us know if you run into further issue and we'll be happy to take a look. Please submit another diagnostic and reply with the number here. 
Exact same thing happened to me, only started in the last couple days.  No changes to the network.  It isn't auto channeling, and I've switched between all three types.  Also restarted my router. Diagnostic = 4223068 
I'm having a similar issue.  I submit a diagnostic confirmation number is: 4218047.  I have several Sonos speakers. I've never had a problem grouping speakers until recently.  I'm attempting to group the speakers currently marked as Kitchen and TV Room... but they won't play together.  Individually the speakers work just fine. But as soon as I pair them in a group only one of the two speakers will play.  What's up?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello StevenAndSusan,

There's quite a bit of interference on the system currently. It looks like your Sonos system is currently on channel 1, as well as your network. Try changing your Sonos wireless channel to channel 11 and then test again. 

If you run into further issue, please submit another diagnostic and I'll be happy to take a look. 
Userlevel 1
Same issue, diagnostic 4631084
Same issue. Diagnostic 4688236
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Ramon,

Version 5.4 was released for the Sonos system recently. If you haven't already done so, try updating your system again. If it fails to update or if you're seeing the same behavior, please let us know. 

Please submit a diagnostic and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here. 
Userlevel 1
Still have the same issue, diagnostic 4882205 - Version: 5.4 (build 29590191).

Did a factory reset of all the sonos devices and started the zone setup from scratch. Also changed the sonos net channel, no difference.

Have the following behavior:

Zone 1: Play 5
Zone 2: Play 5 & Sub
Zone 3: Play 3

Grouping Zone 2 with Zone 1
> Zone 2 plays Play 5 and Sub / Zone 1 is not playing

Grouping Zone 1 with Zone 2
> Zone 1 plays Play 5 / Zone 2 plays Sub only

Grouping Zone 1 with Zone 3
> Zone 1 plays Play 5 / Zone 3 is not playing

Grouping Zone 3 with Zone 1
> Zone 3 plays Play 3 / Zone 1 is not playing

Any feedback more than welcome, Mirko
Userlevel 1
Any update on this?
Userlevel 1
Just added 2 play 3 in stereo mode and only right channel is playing. Sent anothe diagnostic 4890859.
Userlevel 2
I have the same problem. I solved the problem by taking my router off of automatic channel select and ensured it was set to a channel well away from the Sonos. Hope this helps
Same issue. Worked for 4 yrs now I can't group.
Diag code 7526906
Any help appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello. I would say your issue is slightly different, this is an old thread that was discussing version 5.0. Can you tell us how your system is cabled? Also, please check for updates.
But have to give him/her credit for searching for a matching topic, and posting there, rather than starting a new thread (about YouTube/Alexa/SMB). Yea, I'm jaded, why do you ask? 🙂
Badge
Old thread but I am having the same problem, cannot get product to group but they play fine on there own. All players are hard wired.
Any chance of submitting a system diagnostic, and posting the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at?
Badge
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello Chunky1234, are any of your Sonos products connected through boosters or extenders? E.G. Powerline adapters and/or wireless repeaters?

It looks like there are issues with some network functions of Sonos in their current configuration.