Answered

Group volume always has to be at 50%

• 11 December 2017
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
I have a group on Sonos at work that has 3 rooms set on it, no matter what I do the average volume of all 3 of the rooms has to be at 50%. I can't do anything to change it.

All are Sonos Connects.

So there are times when I have to have one room that's super loud just so I can have the other rooms somewhat quiet.

I;ve searched the internet, forums, whatever you can think of and I haven't found any solutions to this issue.

It does it whether I'm using an iPhone, Android, or the Windows Controller.

All the rooms we have are set to Variable. And yes, it shows individual volume sliders, but the group volume has to average to be 50%, so if I change one very low, the other 2 rooms will get louder so the group stays at 50%

I have submitted diagnostics and the number is 8170900.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 December 2017, 23:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Very curious behaviour that I have never seen on my Sonos units in grouped mode, or even heard/read about anywhere; but only one of mine is a Connect, so I would be interested in seeing the Sonos response to this.
I'm seeing similar behaviour. Have three rooms. Two CONNECTs and one PLAY:1.

If I group two rooms (both with CONNECTs), one becomes very quiet while the other is somewhat audible depending on the volume of the attached amp.

This is a STANDARD setup. Did try BOOST but that was even more problematic, so reverted back to STANDARD.
Might be helpful to submit a diagnostic as well, to give Sonos additional data that might help them track this down.
Userlevel 1
Might be helpful to submit a diagnostic as well, to give Sonos additional data that might help them track this down.

I stated I did in the post.
My apologies, you did indeed. My suggestion was actually for v3mc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, I'm happy to look into this one with you, but I'd love to get a few more details.

To be clear, the expectation of how the group volume should work is that it should show you the average volume of each and room in the group. If you turn the group volume up, all three should adjust at once. If you adjust an individual room's volume by taping on the volume bar to pull up the full group volume menu, that room should increase, along with the average group volume.

As to the CONNECT, one thing we've seen is that some receivers require the audio input to be at a certain power level (aka volume) before the detect the feed as an audio source to play.

Do you think you could go into a bit more detail on what you're seeing there? Does it seem to follow one of your three rooms in particular?
Userlevel 1
Hi guys, I'm happy to look into this one with you, but I'd love to get a few more details.

To be clear, the expectation of how the group volume should work is that it should show you the average volume of each and room in the group. If you turn the group volume up, all three should adjust at once. If you adjust an individual room's volume by taping on the volume bar to pull up the full group volume menu, that room should increase, along with the average group volume.

As to the CONNECT, one thing we've seen is that some receivers require the audio input to be at a certain power level (aka volume) before the detect the feed as an audio source to play.

Do you think you could go into a bit more detail on what you're seeing there? Does it seem to follow one of your three rooms in particular?

I've tried adjusting each room by itself, but once I do that it takes about 4-8 seconds and it just goes back to where it was so the group stays at 50%

I get what you're saying, but if I move one room to 25% then the other room HAS to be at 75% so the group stays at 50%, no matter what I do. 30, 70%, etc. They change themselves so the group volume sits at 50%

We have a knob that we control the volume with, but it never goes up more than one turn because it's already super loud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
What are you using to control the volume with? Is the "knob" a separate product that works with Sonos or are you talking about the volume on the receiver the CONNECT is hooked up to?
Userlevel 1
The volume on the receiver it's connected to. It's running through an equalizer, but the equalizer is turned off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the update. I'd say it'd be best to give us a call at this point, let's take a look at this live and see what's acting up. You can find our contact details here.