Question

Group name

• 19 June 2019
  • 1 reply

How are group names determined? is is alphabetical?

If I have 3 rooms called "Living Room", "Shelf" & "Kitchen" and group them, the group is always called
"Kitchen + 2".

I'd prefer it to be called "Living Room + 2" because the group has a total of 4 speakers, three of which are in the living room.

This matters because the rest of my family use the spotify app (or Alexa/Airplay) with our speakers so the group name is the only bit of the Sonos system that they see.
It would be very useful, to have more control over the names and groups visible to Spotify/Alexa/Airplay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Simply start building your group from the Living Room, then add the other two rooms. It will then appear as "Living Room + 2".

Also, when you tap on the master volume control, the individual room volume sliders will be in the order "Living Room", "Kitchen", "Shelf".

The starting room has a special significance, since it includes the 'group coordinator' player. This one fetches the stream and distributes it to the other group members. So the starting room appears at the head of the list; the others are in alphabetical order.