Great speakers, rubbish software, even worse customer service

• 13 September 2018
  • 2 replies

i bought several speakers but was never told that i had to keep updating software.
i am then told i have to keep checking for software updates and it is my fault that my system forces me to update the software. there is a box saying later but that just sends you back to the update screen.
Then you have to reset your password, the email comes through but there is no reset button displayed, you have to click around aimlessly until you find it.I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD.
Customer unservices, we are having problems with our phones today, funny that they have problems every time i phone.
To update system took 20 min meaning i missed the programme i wanted to listen to .my old transistor radio possibly didn't sound great but at least it worked every time and didn't need updating.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
il .my old transistor radio possibly didn't sound great but at least it worked every time and didn't need updating.

You can avoid updates for a time by turning off auto updating the Sonos control app on every Sonos app on your network. Then, update the app and speakers when it's convenient to you.
Userlevel 7
Hi Unhappy Customer

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed with Sonos. To your point about updates:

Technology changes daily either by manufacturer improvements to the device firmware/software or because some idiot has developed a hack and/or virus that could be compromising to the end user. Then there are updates that are sent because a partner has updated their device firmware/software on which the Sonos app is loaded necessitating an update (think iOS, OSX, Windows and Android). Other times updates come back-to-back because a previous update may have broken something that needs to be corrected. All this should be familiar to anyone who owns a computer or smart phone.

For my part I find that Sonos has far fewer requests to update the app or component internal firmware/software than most vendors. It's a pretty stable product. Most often Sonos instability is caused by end-user Wi-Fi issues and/or competing IP Addresses. However I digress...

If you are having to CHANGE your Sonos account password then something is being handled improperly during the update. I do understand having to log back-in after an update but never having to change my Sonos account password :?
As far as being forced to update I have ignored the prompt for several weeks but finally have to update when I try to add a speaker or streaming is somehow broken or whatever and them I remember to take the update. By doing 99% of the time the problem I was experiencing was resolved.

Finally, updates are just the way of the world in technology these days. Long gone are the days of inserting a 3.5 disc or CD when you first buy a product and when it ceases to work because of firmware/software change you're forced to buy a replacement. Buying a replacement to my preference would be a lot more annoying versus doing an update OTA.

One last point...when you buy a Sonos speaker and register it in the app it will always search for the latest updates if they are available. I'll Grant that the download and install may take several minutes; but after that it's over and you can go back to enjoying your Sonos.

My apologies for the Novella...just wanted to cover this topic thoroughly (I hope:8.) You might elaborate more on what caused you to have to reset your password in a step-by-step response. Maybe we can identify where the hiccup occurred.

Cheers!