Google home, which Sonos?

• 3 December 2017
  • 8 replies

I know that sonos havent officially released that the Sonos will work with Google home wirelessly yet but on the assumption that the update will be released in 2018 will all the sonos speakers be able to be controlled wirelessly by it. Im really confused

My partner wants a sonos speaker and we are being bought a google home for xmas. The question is what speaker to buy, I want one that will eventually work with voice command from google home

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Assumption would be that all Sonos units will be able to be controlled from a google home device. Now if you want google home to be built into the speaker itself then the Sonos One is the only unit that has microphones to do so (and currently will act as an amazon n alexa type device).

But as with Alexa now, I would assume if you purchased a play:5 that when google home support comes you would be able to say the same commands the google home device you already have and control even it.

If you want the most future proof stick with the play:5, Sonos One and Playbase. They are the newest generation of internals.
This is a great question but why won't Sonos answer the question when the integration with Google will be possible. I have a Google Home, Play 1 and Play 3 and it is really annoying that I can't control all together. It's putting me off buying a Play 5.
Come on Sonos, join the conversation!! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m sure they will when they are further along to adding. I wouldn’t expect until mid 2018 if I were to guess.

There is no conversation for them to engage in. Sonos keeps Road maps on development very tight lipped.
In the meantime, you can run some basic controls using Yonomi app in conjunction with Google assistant.
Badge
In the meantime, you can run some basic controls using Yonomi app in conjunction with Google assistant.
Yonomi does not even control the volume, so it is very very basic. And you have to make all kinds of flows to get something done.

I have a Google home now that can't work with Sonos , and like some others mentioned here, I am also using my 4000+ Euro invested speakers from Sonos less and less and hooked up a Bluetooth speaker in the kitchen where we live most of the time , it is set to my Google HOME that at least works instantly whenever any family member asks it to play their favorite songs.

The other rooms in the house now have dead Sonos speakers most of the time ,waiting for Sonos to bring them into this modern time .

I can understand it is really complicated work that needs testing etc.
But not telling your customers anything about Google_home implementation development so far is not a good thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Assuming a release schedule not unlike Alexa's release last year, I would expect testing to be starting in the next month or two, with release planned for late October or possibly November, since there isn't likely a new product involved, like there was with the Sonos One last year.

If you want to be a guinea pig and have a chance at getting to test this new functionality (no guarantees; Sonos has a pretty large pool of testers to choose from), now would be the time to throw your hat into the ring and join the beta program... but don't complain about the frequency of updates if you join and are chosen for a test... they can happen every two weeks, sometimes more frequently.

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/beta
At the moment... don't buy Sonos.. it's frustrating to see that Sonos doesn't do anything... since years they even not get Cast Support....
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Not strictly true.
You have been able to cast from google play music to sonos with an android device since 2013.
Then casting development stopped..........till 2019 hopefully 🆒