Answered

Google home and Playbar

• 13 March 2019
  • 3 replies

I understand that Sonos is working on integrating Google home and would have it released sometime in 2019. I want to know, when this happens will it also support the Playbar?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 March 2019, 03:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No one really knows for sure, but past evidence (the Alexa integration) says yes, as long as you have a device that can accept a voice command from Google.

There are no microphones on the PLAYBAR, so it can't accept a spoken command.

But generally speaking, when we're talking about integration, Sonos is talking about within the ecosystem, i.e. the software supports it. So, if it works with one device, it should probably work with all devices, it will just be that some (i.e. the Sonos One, the Beam) will be able to be spoken to directly, others can be controlled because they're in the ecosystem.
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping the same, and bought a playbar recently. It is bit frustrating that Sonos have not been clear in their communication and also do not understand why it takes such a long time to make this release. The original timeline being 2018 and now pushed to 2019, and we still do not have a target date; surely they would have a project target date?
Why would they bother? They already set one date (and management announced it), and missed. I've done some integration work between software my folks wrote, and software that other folks write, and it just isn't as easy as you'd like....especially if things might be changing on the other side. Much like I think it did on AirPlay 2 from Apple, who announced at least 3 different dates for the release. Surely it's much better to just work on it, and make it right, and then release it, than say "well, we hope/plan to be done by this date" and then run into some issues that cause you to miss that date.