Google Home

• 17 September 2017
  • 65 replies

Userlevel 1
Google Home and Google Assistant with Sonos
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 1 November 2018, 16:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Userlevel 1
Colonel Mustard in the Library with a lead pipe.
Who the hack is Colonel Mustard?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo

Kids these days...
Userlevel 1

Seriously! It would boost their sales significantly to allow casting and airplay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Vaddyfr,

We're working on bringing Google Home to Sonos in 2018. In the meantime you can integrate Google Home into Sonos by using the line-in ports on a PLAY:5, CONNECT, or CONNECT:AMP. Read more here.
1) It's not yet clear. And won't be until they actually release it. We should assume that they're still working on it.

2) Likely so, but again, there's no guaranty until Sonos actually announces, in conjunction with Google, the final implementation details.

So, as you suggest, it's not clear yet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo
wires...really are we in the 70's
It's been too long for sure, should have finished the Google home integration before AirPlay2
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This integration requires collaboration with Google. Who knows who is responsible for the delay.

Yeah, right.
Google assistant is working with my $20 best buy speakers, but Google wouldn't want to work with Sonos...
Anyone know a good place to sell sonos speakers?

It doesn't quite work that way. They're already collaboration with us, it's just taking a bit longer than expected.

In any case, there's lots of second hand online marketplaces where you can post goods of all varieties. eBay seems to have the greatest success, in my experience.
Just allow us to set Sonos as the default speaker for Google Home devices and problem solved. This would be the perfect interim option whilst the wider development is completed.

Please!!
Just made the switch from Echo's to Google Home not realizing that Sonos integration would be an issue. I can't believe this isn't solved since I've been so easily saying, "Alexa, play XXX radio in Kitchen/Dining Room/Living Room" for so long.

Sonos was far, far ahead of the game before, but like TIVO and others, missing out on integration with the other companies catching up is going to cost them. My guess is that Sonos needs Google more than the other way around.

The new Sonos Amp and "architectural audio" idea has to be woven into other home automation systems like Amazon/Google since they're the dominant players. On the other hand smarthome products are probably 0.00001% of Google's revenue, so I would think it's in Sonos' court.

I'm sure the smart people at Sonos understand this and are working as fast as they can. There must be some technical or other issue holding up the progress. If G Home integration dies, my guess is that Sonos will slowly fade too because G Home is slowly, but surely catching up to Amazon Alexa and a much better overal system. The connection to my phone, calendar, and superior speech recognition will put Google ahead now that they're really working on it (e.g. Google Home Hub).

I'm not nearly on the bleeding edge of technolgy and love my Sonos products; but if they don't work with my newest technology purchases, then they'll eventually get replaced with other products that do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the flag, sakendrick. I'll ask the team to look into that. From the url, it looks like it's dated July 2018, but as you well know, it's certainly not accurate. When there's news to share about Google Assistant coming to Sonos, rest assured we'll make sure it's out there, you won't have to find out about it on a partners blog.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Badge
Now that is great news. Will Sonos be publishing its roadmap for this with regards to planned features, control sets, etc? I would hope for something great to replace the old C300 controller (which I still have and use - so much better than the phone interfaces in my opinion!) using the voice domain.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi Vaddyfr,

We're working on bringing Google Home to Sonos in 2018. In the meantime you can integrate Google Home into Sonos by using the line-in ports on a PLAY:5, CONNECT, or CONNECT:AMP. Read more here.

very exciting!
Keep us updated with the progress 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos are not saying.
So assume the worst and you won't be disappointed ;O).........which for me would be asking a google home to play GPM on a sonos zone.
The timeline was sometime in 2018. They are still very much within keeping their promise.

I can understand why a Google Home user would want it's integration done first, but I think competition has sort of forced Sonos to put some focus on getting airplay 2 out. Relatively speaking, it's also more of a 'low hanging fruit' type of thing.

As far as features go, I would surprised if it doesn't have at least comparable features to the Alexa integration. I'm hoping it also can handle groups and linking a Home product directly to a Sonos zone. That should help push Alexa to follow up with the same features.

As far as waiting till September, obviously it's your call, but I think the Christmas season drives a lot of the timing of new products and features these days. I would hold off on making a switch for another month or two, as it would be really surprising (to me anyway) if the feature isn't in place before the Christmas shopping season gets revved up. At the very least, there will be more of a market to sell you Sonos, and buy replacements on sale during November/December than in September.
Okay. I guess I will wait until after the Holidays and see, I can live with it, it is just frustrating that we are hearing plans for Google Assistant integration for a very long time now (I was purchasing my current speakers because of the integration), yet Sonos is not updating people on what their plan is, but rather tries to compete for Apple users (AirPlay 2), real Apple fans will always purchase a HomePod, no matter what.

Looking at this informally, there seem to be a lot more users interested in airplay 2 support then Google assistance support. And again, I don't think you can conclusively say that Sonos is prioritizing it's customers, even though it may feel that way.

Regarding Sonos announcing it's plans, it's always a catch-22. What would you have done if Sonos stated nothing about Google integration? Sonos would have lost your sale probably, but you might also be upset that you weren't informed so you could be your decision with more knowledge. As far as updates, then you will have people claiming Sonos is not working fast enough, or complaining they missed deadlines that were never meant to be firm in the first place. You will have complaints about how Sonos prioritizes projects (already happening). And you will likely have to throw your integration partner under the bus blaming them for the length of the project.

You just can't win with announcements like this. Maybe companies like Apple can get away with for a while, but even they seem to be feeling the sting of missing deadlines and not meeting customer expectations lately.
I well understand this is possible (Yoyomi) and I've zero interest in chasing that rabbit down the hole. I'd rather use my mobile app in hand than spend time on a stop-gap for which very specific context commands are needed for very limited control. Just not worth it.
I have connected Yonomi as you say, but you need a first class degree to then work out any commands. A simple question : how do you actually get A Sonos One speaker to recognise a "hey Google" command? I haven't managed it yet. Sonos still only recognises "alexa" commands, and my Google Home "hey Google". No matter how I try and configure it. All very confusing and the pics provided don't help one bit. All Yanomi does for me after adding a schedule is to play my favourite music channel on Sonos via a click in the app.

Yonomi, or any third party app or dev tool, isn't going to get Sonos One to respond to 'Hey Google'. All these workarounds can do is allow you to give voice commands to a product that currently has Google voice services for the purpose of controlling Sonos.

You'll need to wait till Sonos releases Google Home integration in order to speak to Google through your Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
OH DEAR you have just lit the disappointment fuse.
This will explode on here, and you have missed all the black Friday & xmas sales.
At least sonos have been honest with their loyal customers.

This integration requires collaboration with Google. Who knows who is responsible for the delay.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will matter to Christmas shoppers.

Sonos could still release a production version of the Alexa integration before Black Friday. If it included a fix for ducking, local library support, and grouping speakers by voice I think it would be a positive enough story to salvage some Holiday sales. (And demonstrate that they do eventually follow through on completing integrations)

Yeah, right.
Google assistant is working with my $20 best buy speakers, but Google wouldn't want to work with Sonos...
Anyone know a good place to sell sonos speakers?
This integration is crucial. Without it, I feel stuck and can't move forward.
This integration is crucial. Without it, I feel stuck and can't move forward.
In other words your life depends on that integration?