Google Home

• 17 September 2017
  • 65 replies

Userlevel 1
Google Home and Google Assistant with Sonos
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 1 November 2018, 16:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Badge +1
weird... Sonos community provider Insider has this on their homepage... I got super excited but still no support I supposed. https://www.insided.com/hs-fs/hubfs/Insided_July2018%20Theme/images/platform-4-increase-traffic-with-user-generated-content-f6dd2e21ce.png?t=1543517728192&width=440&height=597&name=platform-4-increase-traffic-with-user-generated-content-f6dd2e21ce.png
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the flag, sakendrick. I'll ask the team to look into that. From the url, it looks like it's dated July 2018, but as you well know, it's certainly not accurate. When there's news to share about Google Assistant coming to Sonos, rest assured we'll make sure it's out there, you won't have to find out about it on a partners blog.
Thanks, that instruction is extremely encouraging. If Sonos speakers can be added as a room, it means they will (eventually) be endpoints for any of the music services Google Home supports, and can be configured as the default speakers for Google devices such as the Home Hub. Perfect. It should also mean that Sonos speakers will be seen as ChromeCast audio targets.

Too bad Sonos has missed the holiday shopping season with this, it’s going to be a huge drag on sales.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@chicks, I wouldn't recommend using that picture as a valid source of any information about the integration. We haven't shared a lot of details because development is ongoing and could change. We're hard at work on it, and can't wait to share more as soon as we can, but that image isn't based on any official Sonos details. The most recent and accurate information can be found on our blog here.
Badge +1
@chicks Casting is one thing I can (and was surprised I could) do... just noticed one day on my phone (galaxy S8+) that my Sonos devices were in the list... Not overly useful for me as I don't want to be dependent on my phone to be playing the music - to me that's what's awesome about sonos... but not sure if that's what you mean by Chromecast audio targets
@chicks Casting is one thing I can (and was surprised I could) do... just noticed one day on my phone (galaxy S8+) that my Sonos devices were in the list... Not overly useful for me as I don't want to be dependent on my phone to be playing the music - to me that's what's awesome about sonos... but not sure if that's what you mean by Chromecast audio targets

Most likely via UPnP, which is very limited, and has absolutely no relevance to Google Home or Chromecast...
Sigh...... Saw there was a blog post (very late) and thought something was coming but now a date to TBA sometime in 2019. Sorry Sonos, but I've had ONE since launch and this is purely a bait-n-switch at this point. My year-long benefit of doubt period has entirely elapsed.
That said, I applied to the Beta; at this point I'm sure a Beta of a G integration can't be anymore frustrating to me personally than Alexa is currently. 🙂
Badge
From a purely mercenary view, PLEASE don't have an initial "tone" played when initiating a command sequence with "OK, Google" or other wake phrase like with the Alexa 'integration'. PLEASE!!! That tone and the subsequent ending tone ( or two tones if the command sequence was associated with smart home automation) are quite annoying and have been critiqued by multiple parties and threads.
It's entirely possible that this is a feature that isn't optional to Sonos. It may be part of a "you want to connect to our API, you have to do X & Y" kind of thing.

It's one of the reasons I believe that they've not been able to change that exact issue on the Amazon Alexa integration.

Excuse me, I don't find the answer the following to questions that are determining my decission to acquire a new Sonos device:

1) What will be the Google support provided by Sonos? Will it just allow us to control Sonos devices using Google Assistante from OTHER device (i.e. android smartphone, google home device...)? Or will Sonos devices provide the Google Assistance service as they currently do with Alexa?

2) When the support/integration is accomplished by Sonos, will it be available only for a new model/family of Sonos devices that should be acquired in order to have access to such support/integration? Or if I buy TODAY a Sonos device with Alexa support (i.e. the Sonos Beam) it will be ready also for Google Assistant doing just a software update?

Is there an answer for these questions today or is not clear yet accordint to the evolution of the Google integration project?

Thank you very much in advance!
1) It's not yet clear. And won't be until they actually release it. We should assume that they're still working on it.

2) Likely so, but again, there's no guaranty until Sonos actually announces, in conjunction with Google, the final implementation details.

So, as you suggest, it's not clear yet.
Until the integration of Sonos and Google Assistant is available to everyone, Try IFTTT (If This Then That). This works beautifully with my Google Hub or Google Mini and my Sonos Play:1s and Play:5! After the services are set up on your phone or Laptop, all you need to do is say things like "Hey Google, Play David Bowie on Sonos" Wham - There it is.
https://ifttt.com/
Klipsch announces new soundbars with Alexa, Google Assistant, AirPlay 2, DTS and Dolby Atmos. Can they actually deliver? We’ll find out by this spring...

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/1/3/18167286/klipsch-new-smart-sound-bar-google-assistant-alexa-dolby-atmos-ces-2019
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
So how about an update, since we are past early 2019?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi folks,

We just made a blog post with an update about Google Home integration with Sonos. You can read the post here.

So how about an update, since we are past early 2019?