Google Home

• 17 September 2017
  • 65 replies

Userlevel 1
Google Home and Google Assistant with Sonos
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 1 November 2018, 16:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Is it really that hard to deduce that companies plan these types of releases for the holiday season, or am I simply underestimating the obtuseness of the general public? :?
Most everyone has been quite patient. I too have parroted the "it was promised in 2018, no earlier" sentiment. And, while that is still true I very much understand the frustration. It's been exactly (to the day) 11 months since my Sonos One first shipped and at the time of purchase the timeline of that "promise" was even less clear than it currently - I expected it early in the new years to be honest. Instead I've made due with Alexa. I'm not interested in extensive Google Home integration per se, but much prefer Google to Alexa in general - meaning I own no other devices (aside from a smartphone) that has the capability to run either. The Sonos One was my point of entry into assistant use at all. I use, at this point, Google Home for what little home automation I do have, and also (because it's all that is on Sonos One) use Alexa for those same tasks occasionally simply because I could - I set it up as a comparison really. It didn't take long for me to start wishing that much harder for Google Assistant support. Every task I do with the SonosOne and Alexa is far more complicated and her "hit" rate is leaps lower (the logic, not just her voice recognition, etc.). The fact is that when I ordered it I understood a Google integration date was TBD, but few understood that date to be a year out (or close to it) and I while I was fine with using Alexa in the interim I did not expect it to last a year.

All that is to say, it's now been nearly a year of owning a SonosOne; technically, the promised timeline hasn't shifted, but it doesn't make a frustrating year with Alexa any shorter. Perhaps it was my own fault for being a bit naive insofar as the timeline is concerned to begin with. If that can also be interpreted as obtuseness, have at. Regardless, I understand folks getting a bit short at this point.
It's coming soon, allegedly by the end of the year (probably right in time for Black Friday). In the meantime, Yonomi is your best best. It's a certified 'works with Sonos' app, and it's been working great for me so far. https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/google-assistant-home-sonos-controls-guide-272
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have connected Yonomi as you say, but you need a first class degree to then work out any commands. A simple question : how do you actually get A Sonos One speaker to recognise a "hey Google" command? I haven't managed it yet. Sonos still only recognises "alexa" commands, and my Google Home "hey Google". No matter how I try and configure it. All very confusing and the pics provided don't help one bit. All Yanomi does for me after adding a schedule is to play my favourite music channel on Sonos via a click in the app.
You have to add yanomi to your google home app, it's going to act like the middle man between google home and sonos. You can add it under "home control".
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I've done that already. Then what?
I well understand this is possible (Yoyomi) and I've zero interest in chasing that rabbit down the hole. I'd rather use my mobile app in hand than spend time on a stop-gap for which very specific context commands are needed for very limited control. Just not worth it.
Google Minnie. :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
google home hub looks interesting as a xmas pressie
ttps://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/google-home-hub
I have connected Yonomi as you say, but you need a first class degree to then work out any commands. A simple question : how do you actually get A Sonos One speaker to recognise a "hey Google" command? I haven't managed it yet. Sonos still only recognises "alexa" commands, and my Google Home "hey Google". No matter how I try and configure it. All very confusing and the pics provided don't help one bit. All Yanomi does for me after adding a schedule is to play my favourite music channel on Sonos via a click in the app.

Yonomi, or any third party app or dev tool, isn't going to get Sonos One to respond to 'Hey Google'. All these workarounds can do is allow you to give voice commands to a product that currently has Google voice services for the purpose of controlling Sonos.

You'll need to wait till Sonos releases Google Home integration in order to speak to Google through your Sonos One.
Harmony just updated their Google integration. Not sure how good their Sonos integration is, but might work to control Sonos from Google Home for the impatient... No idea, really.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/16/logitech-harmony-direct-control-finally-live-google-assistant-home-limitations/
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We just made a blog post with an update about Google Home integration with Sonos. You can read the post here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
OH DEAR you have just lit the disappointment fuse.
This will explode on here, and you have missed all the black Friday & xmas sales.
At least sonos have been honest with their loyal customers.
OH DEAR you have just lit the disappointment fuse.
This will explode on here, and you have missed all the black Friday & xmas sales.
At least sonos have been honest with their loyal customers.

This integration requires collaboration with Google. Who knows who is responsible for the delay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well yeah who knows why the missed deadline.
Maybe google will keep kicking it into the long grass for a while to max out sales period of their own speakers & voice stuff, that makes a good conspiracy theory with no blame on sonos ;);)

This integration requires collaboration with Google. Who knows who is responsible for the delay.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will matter to Christmas shoppers.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will matter to Christmas shoppers.

Sonos could still release a production version of the Alexa integration before Black Friday. If it included a fix for ducking, local library support, and grouping speakers by voice I think it would be a positive enough story to salvage some Holiday sales. (And demonstrate that they do eventually follow through on completing integrations)

Yeah, right.
Google assistant is working with my $20 best buy speakers, but Google wouldn't want to work with Sonos...
Anyone know a good place to sell sonos speakers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah, right.
Google assistant is working with my $20 best buy speakers, but Google wouldn't want to work with Sonos...
Anyone know a good place to sell sonos speakers?

It doesn't quite work that way. They're already collaboration with us, it's just taking a bit longer than expected.

In any case, there's lots of second hand online marketplaces where you can post goods of all varieties. eBay seems to have the greatest success, in my experience.
This integration is crucial. Without it, I feel stuck and can't move forward.
This integration is crucial. Without it, I feel stuck and can't move forward.
In other words your life depends on that integration?
Sonos lost me today. I've been patiently waiting for Google Assistant Integration, but i have no trust after the latest delay. Used the early Black Friday deals to heavily buy into Google Home at discount rates. It's a real shame as I love the Sonos sound (if not the software), but there's increasingly a balance about ease of use and Smart Home integration vs. sound quality, that Sonos are on the wrong side of.
Just allow us to set Sonos as the default speaker for Google Home devices and problem solved. This would be the perfect interim option whilst the wider development is completed.

Please!!
That's a request you should be making to Google, not to Sonos.
Just made the switch from Echo's to Google Home not realizing that Sonos integration would be an issue. I can't believe this isn't solved since I've been so easily saying, "Alexa, play XXX radio in Kitchen/Dining Room/Living Room" for so long.

Sonos was far, far ahead of the game before, but like TIVO and others, missing out on integration with the other companies catching up is going to cost them. My guess is that Sonos needs Google more than the other way around.

The new Sonos Amp and "architectural audio" idea has to be woven into other home automation systems like Amazon/Google since they're the dominant players. On the other hand smarthome products are probably 0.00001% of Google's revenue, so I would think it's in Sonos' court.

I'm sure the smart people at Sonos understand this and are working as fast as they can. There must be some technical or other issue holding up the progress. If G Home integration dies, my guess is that Sonos will slowly fade too because G Home is slowly, but surely catching up to Amazon Alexa and a much better overal system. The connection to my phone, calendar, and superior speech recognition will put Google ahead now that they're really working on it (e.g. Google Home Hub).

I'm not nearly on the bleeding edge of technolgy and love my Sonos products; but if they don't work with my newest technology purchases, then they'll eventually get replaced with other products that do.