Question

Google assistance and Sonos speakers

• 4 January 2018
  • 13 replies

Once Google Assistance becomes available on Sonos, should it be able to use Play:1 speakers? Also I would think if you own a Android cell phone it should be able to emulate a Google Home Mini. Comments welcomed!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - I would assume it will work much like current Alexa integration. This means any and all Sonos units can be voice controlled via a Google Home/Mini.

I think as long as your Android phone does the "Ok Google" function it essentially is a google home.
And since Google Play Music on an Android can cast to Sonos, the Ok Google function should work like voice control even today...I tested this logical conclusion but as I recall it either does not work or response times are too long.
Equally logically, if a Google Mini would cast to Sonos in the way GPM on an Android does, that is job done too - because a Google Home/Mini can do voice control of Sonos even today if you have Sonos kit with line in jacks and a Chromecast Audio puck wired to it. IMO, the Google Assistant integration would technically be a simpler solution that the Alexa one that Sonos chose to implement first. Logically again, global roll out would also be automatic to all countries where GPM service is available.
Chris and Kumar thanks for your responses. The "Ok Google" function works great on Pixel2 thus insure all Google Mini functions are incorporated into the phone then one has a mobile Google Mini and won't need to buy additional hardware.
So does it work well enough for you to voice control Google Play Music to get it to cast and play on Sonos even today?
Doest work, I would think it will require a software change on the phone so that Google Assistant knows about SONOS as a output for a given music source.
Does" Ok Google, start Google Play Music" start that app on the Pixel? If yes, are you then able to select what music to play in the app the same way? And if yes, does the voice command "cast to Sonos" work?
All of the above work via phone taps, so at which part of the sequence of commands does OK Google fail to keep up?
Ok Google can activate Google Play Music and music plays on the Pixel2 speakers. Ok Google Can't find Sonos when I tell OK Google to play music on Sonos
It looks like Google Assistant needs to be connected in settings to the Sonos App but the App is not in the list. But Google Play and wechat are. There is no way to add Sonos. I'm thinking that's the software piece missing in order for OK Google to work with Sonos. Thoughts?
Ok The apps in the list are Google Play Music and WhatsAppMessenger plus few others, ignore wechat as it doesn't exist in the list.
It looks like Google Assistant needs to be connected in settings to the Sonos App but the App is not in the list. But Google Play and wechat are. There is no way to add Sonos. I'm thinking that's the software piece missing in order for OK Google to work with Sonos. Thoughts?
Since Google Play Music will move the music from the Pixel to Sonos wirelessly by just one finger tap on the cast icon in the GPM app on the Pixel, logic says that if there is a software piece missing, it is on the Google side. What is needed is for the tap command to be activated/replaced by saying " OK Google, cast to Sonos", once the GPM app is playing music on the Pixel. I can't see any Sonos involvement needed for this.
Agree 😃 seems like an easy software add.. I said easy ops nothing easy in tech world!
I agree that nothing is as easy as it often looks. But it is odd that Google, that has all the required bits of hardware and software in its empire: phones+OS+Music service+Cloud storage, is not able to do this with Sonos before Amazon that does not have two of these bits - they don't have an OS like Android and they don't do smartphones, so they had to invent the Echo/Dot hardware.
Using a phone for voice command of all music play would also be less demanding of mic performance for being always a lot closer to the voice commanding person than to the music producing speakers, something that presents a challenge for both Sonos One and Echo/Dots. A phone based system would not need the much touted "7 mics with far field performance" in Echo/Dots, that can still be hit or miss once music is playing.
Great line of reason for why Google should have this offering in the marketplace before Amazon.