Answered

Getting a Move working with airplay via iTunes

• 22 January 2020
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 7 replies

First, I have no idea if Apple calls playing to multiple speakers through iTunes (versus iOS) ‘airplay’ or not, but hopefully it’s understood what I’m talking about.

Second, my system - iMac Pro, Mojave 10.14.6, Velop wifi with 3 nodes, playing to 5 devices: the iMac itself, Airport Express via ethernet, AppleTV via ethernet, HomePod, and Move.  I just added the Move and I don’t have any problems with playback once I get the Move playing.  For clarity, the iMac is streaming to the Airport and AppleTV via ethernet, and the Move and HomePod via wifi.  (I have sync issues if I try to play to those two devices via wifi.)  

My problem is getting the Move kickstarted to play.  If I have all the devices selected in iTunes and hit play, the Move won't start.  I’ll hear a faint click from it when iTunes first starts to connect, but eventually I get an error in iTunes saying that it couldn’t make a connection, and then the other devices will start playing.  I can then try adding the Move while the other devices are playing - iTunes will select it for a few seconds, but then mark it with a dash as unknown, and it will never start playing. 

However, I can get the Move going if I first select it as the only speaker, and then add the others after it gets going, but even then it’s a bit of a process.  I have to select the Move individually and wait for iTunes to try to connect.  After 30 seconds of trying, iTunes will return an error that it can’t connect. Then I select Move again, and it will immediately connect and start playing.  After that, I can then add the other speakers, and everything will work perfectly until the playlist ends or I pause the music for too long.  If either of those happens, I have to go back to square one.

The Move works fine playing from any iOS device, so this seems to be limited to iTunes.  Also this is with the Move on its base, so it isn’t powering down.

Is there something obvious that I’m missing, or is this a known problem, or…?  I like the Move enough that I’d like to ditch my HomePod in favor of another Sonos speaker, but of course I’m hesitant if this is a general problem with Sonos products not playing well with Apple products over Airplay.  

Thanks

icon

Best answer by pup 4 February 2020, 20:32

Just to update, I seem to have solved the problem.  My Velop network had been set up in its default configuration, which meant that it had created its own subnet to my network - a barrier which Airplay discovery and commands can’t cross.  I had Wifi on my iMac turned on, which meant that it was communicating with my speakers separately over two networks.  While this apparently works, it doesn’t work well.  To solve it, I reset my Velop network to bridge mode, allowing everything to be on one network, with my cable modem assigning all the addresses.  That fixed the problem with the Move, as well as some other nagging issues not only with Airplay, but also with Home App and Remote App as well.

View original

2 replies

Just to update, I seem to have solved the problem.  My Velop network had been set up in its default configuration, which meant that it had created its own subnet to my network - a barrier which Airplay discovery and commands can’t cross.  I had Wifi on my iMac turned on, which meant that it was communicating with my speakers separately over two networks.  While this apparently works, it doesn’t work well.  To solve it, I reset my Velop network to bridge mode, allowing everything to be on one network, with my cable modem assigning all the addresses.  That fixed the problem with the Move, as well as some other nagging issues not only with Airplay, but also with Home App and Remote App as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing Pup! Glad you got it all sorted out.