Forcing Updates

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Why does SONOS force me to do updates? Nearly EVERY update I do fails and I spend about 1 hour then, re-booting, routers, Wi-Fi, my 11 Sonos components. It's a lie that this takes 2-3 minutes. It may do when it works with 1-2 components but not with more (shall we say) fully invested customers. I tried this morning, and it failed. I do NOT need to do this update - I do not want, and will not buy a Beam, so please leave me alone please to enjoy Sonos. SONOS's arrogant update policies are driving me away from Sonos. Even Apple doesn't force people to update. I cannot control Sonos currently from my devices (only the Computer). Stop it. I am the customer, and I bought a working product. It's not working now on my devices due to SONO's stupid and arrogant policy.

I used to love Sonos, and, when it works it's great, BUT, I would only recommend Sonos now to anyone who is prepared to be forced to update software AND to suffer the consequences of failures if there is an upgrade.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 1
It’s a pain in the a**, friends come round you switch on Sonos and guess what you can’t play any music, it worked fine the day before but not now. The system does not NEED an update, the update might help but it’s not NEEDED, please give us the option to update when we’re ready.
You're not forced to update*. Disable the update check in the system (which BTW doesn't automatically update, it just notifies that an update is available), and ensure that Sonos apps on iOS/Android don't automatically update from their respective app stores.

If you don't prevent the controller apps updating they'll go out of step with the player firmware, which will then usually require a system update before you can play anything. This is because controllers and players must be at compatible versions.

(*Except when you add a new unit to the system.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can likely solve your update hassles by assigning static/reserved IP addresses to your Sonos gear from your router's DHCP page. Usually fairly quick to do, follow by unplugging your Sonos gear and rebooting the router. Plug in any wired Sonos devices one at a time, give it about a minute between each one, then the wireless ones, again one at a time.

If you turn off update notifications you might want to manually check for updates every month or two so you don't get too far behind.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Ooooh, yet another answer from a techy. "Assign static/reserved IP addresses". NO. I'm a consumer, not a pointy head. 99.99% of the population haven't a clue (and don't care) what you are talking about. This is a CONSUMER product, not a nerdy/Machine code wet dream.

SONOS - get your act together or you will DIE......
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If my 93 year old mom can do it (with a bit of over the phone prompting) I don't think it is rocket science but you know your limitations better than I do.
Totally agree. Stop forsing me to update. Stop stop force me.
Thanks for the suggestion on turning off the auto updates. It hasn't been a problem for me until recently. The last couple of updates have been complete junk. I have had to re-add one of my speakers and then it knows about all of them.
Yes SONOS, you need to get your act together on the updates. It MUST be seamless again. I don't know what has cause the headaches this year, but that must end.
As one person put it, most of the users are consumers, not tech heads.
If you make it simple, they will come!!!
I don't think, 'making it simple' is really a viable option. Sonos functionality/requirements around IP addresses has not changed over the years. What has changed is the volume of devices in a typical home that utilize a wifi network (and volume of wifi networks in general). If all you have is a couple computers along with your Sonos, the odds of running into IP address conflicts are very low. But today, we have dozens of devices in the home that use IP addresses and thus the odds of conflicts are a lot higher.

Can Sonos somehow maintain the same stable multi-room audio system and change it's use/dependence on non-conflicting IP addresses? I don't know.
SONOS should be able to make it simple.
I have a network with quite a few devices. I like playing with computers and automation systems. I have never, even with multiple SONOS speakers, ever had any IP address conflict problems. Almost all, but not all, of my systems use DHCP, some have reserved DHCP addresses. If you are having issues with IP conflicts, then you may need to look at how you are handing out IP addresses. If you have systems with statically defined addresses within a DHCP range, that is a problem. Also check your system that is handing out addresses, if it get confused about who has what addresses that is also a problem. DHCP has been around for a long time and just plain works if it is configured correctly. If you are having problems with address conflicts, then the DHCP configuration needs to be checked.

One underlying desire that I have for all systems, is to make them simple to use. If my wife takes more than a couple clicks to get what she wants done, it will get tossed away.
If an update requires me to reconfigure the system, I get very upset.

In general, SONOS is very easy for her to use. However, the last several upgrades have tried my patience. Having to re-add speakers that I already have on the system is unacceptable.
SONOS should be able to make it simple.
I have a network with quite a few devices. I like playing with computers and automation systems. I have never, even with multiple SONOS speakers, ever had any IP address conflict problems. Almost all, but not all, of my systems use DHCP, some have reserved DHCP addresses. If you are having issues with IP conflicts, then you may need to look at how you are handing out IP addresses. If you have systems with statically defined addresses within a DHCP range, that is a problem. Also check your system that is handing out addresses, if it get confused about who has what addresses that is also a problem. DHCP has been around for a long time and just plain works if it is configured correctly. If you are having problems with address conflicts, then the DHCP configuration needs to be checked.

I'm confused. You're having trouble with speakers disappearing after an update, which is usually do to IP address conflicts, but your familiar with the issue? Have you setup reserved address for your Sonos speakers (not static, but reserved)? If you do have reserved addresses and you're still losing speakers on updates, then it's a different issue. Submitting a diagnostic after the next update could help.

One underlying desire that I have for all systems, is to make them simple to use. If my wife takes more than a couple clicks to get what she wants done, it will get tossed away.
If an update requires me to reconfigure the system, I get very upset.

And that's reasonable. I do think that one downside to all the emerging tech around voice control, smart speakers, and IoT in general that it's too complex right now. That's due to emerging tech, integrating of different products, and so many products potentially on a network.
Sorry for the confusion about the IP reservations. I don't reserve addresses for my speakers. The interesting thing to me is that after a controller upgrade, the controller doesn't know about any of my speakers. I then go through the steps to add 1 and amazingly it knows about the specifics for the one that I added (like name) and also all the other speakers also show up.
That tells me, that after a controller update, the controller looses track of everything and doesn't know how to contact any speaker. I assume that the speakers know about each other so that when the controller finally is forced to query one of the speakers, it learns about all of them.
The strange thing to me is that this issue has only popped up this year, on some, but not all of the updates. I find out about it because I go ask Alexa to send something to a speaker and nothing happens. If I'm lucky enough to be the one that does that, all is well. But if a visitor or my wife asks Alexa to play something and nothing happens, I get yelled at.
So, I have now taken the steps above and have turned auto updates off so that "I" control when an update happens and can verify it afterwards. That should stop the screaming. 🙂
No, the router loses track because an update causes the Sonos to reboot and get a duplicate IP address from a wonky router. The controller is a very dumb application, all the information is stored on the Sonos units themselves. If the controller cannot reach the Sonos units, then it cannot retrieve any information about the Sonos unit.

Do a network refresh. Reserve IP addresses for your Sonos units so they never again get a duplicate. 99.99% of the time, this fixes what you are seeing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not having reserved IP addresses is still likely to bite you when you finally do run an update and also when the router and/or Sonos gear reboots due to a power glitch or other reason.

I finally gave in and did the IP assignments after getting tired of power cycling after every storm.
Sorry for the confusion about the IP reservations. I don't reserve addresses for my speakers.

So you've reserved address for some of the devices in your home, just not the Sonos speakers? From what you wrote previously, it seemed like you understood that reserving IP addresses resolves IP address problems? Were you quoting someone else or was that actually you, talking about your system?

I'm just not following the train of thought around this. I'm not sure why you aren't considering reserving IP address for your Sonos devices when you understand how to do it and it's been recommended as a fix to the issue your having with updates.
Userlevel 2
Totally agree with these comments. These forced updates are driving me nuts. Almost chucked a Sonos across room. Can never just turn the damn thing on to listen to music when i want to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Updates are not forced, only suggested. You can also turn off the update suggestion or with a bit of work block the updates if I understand some of the other posts on updates.
This is absolutely not so - I have turned off auto updating and was forced to update my sonos system and both iphones this week. What is the worst thing about it is that I cant do anything with the sonos system until the update is applied. I am being held ransom in my own home at the whim of sonos. Further, the update forced me to enter some unnecessary and unrelated information to complete the update. This is a totally unacceptable. I have paid for the system that I have in my house, I'm not interested in updated features on newer model. If I were, I would choose to update at that time. This is something that should always be driven by my need to apply a fix or get access to new features that are important to me. It is my home after all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This is absolutely not so - I have turned off auto updating and was forced to update my sonos system and both iphones this week. What is the worst thing about it is that I cant do anything with the sonos system until the update is applied. I am being held ransom in my own home at the whim of sonos. Further, the update forced me to enter some unnecessary and unrelated information to complete the update. This is a totally unacceptable. I have paid for the system that I have in my house, I'm not interested in updated features on newer model. If I were, I would choose to update at that time. This is something that should always be driven by my need to apply a fix or get access to new features that are important to me. It is my home after all.

Make sure you turn off auto-updates for the controller (iOS or Android). I suspect you updated the app and when that happens you will be required to update the Sonos units too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not just you but anyone (visitors) with access to your WiFi that has an updated controller can be a problem if you don't want to update.
Ooooh, yet another answer from a techy. "Assign static/reserved IP addresses". NO. I'm a consumer, not a pointy head. 99.99% of the population haven't a clue (and don't care) what you are talking about. This is a CONSUMER product, not a nerdy/Machine code wet dream.

SONOS - get your act together or you will DIE......

You got a perfectly good answer, but apparently you need someone to come over and hold your hand.
Why look for help then insult the people who are trying to help you out?
You deserve whatever headache you get.
You're not forced to update*. Disable the update check in the system (which BTW doesn't automatically update, it just notifies that an update is available), and ensure that Sonos apps on iOS/Android don't automatically update from their respective app stores.

If you don't prevent the controller apps updating they'll go out of step with the player firmware, which will then usually require a system update before you can play anything. This is because controllers and players must be at compatible versions.

(*Except when you add a new unit to the system.)

Im being forced to update right now and it totally breaks my sonos system. Updated makes it so sonos controller can no longer connect and I am being forced, there is no option. Sonos is now completely broken for my entire office...
Im being forced to update right now and it totally breaks my sonos system. Updated makes it so sonos controller can no longer connect and I am being forced, there is no option. Sonos is now completely broken for my entire office...
No one will be able to assist, if you don't describe the circumstances and your network configuration.
We all conect via wifi with iphones, androids and computers. The newest update breaks sonos for ALL the computers in the office. Why is sonos forcing an update and not allowing me to roll back to a previous working version? The version from April 2018 was the last build that works until today when I was FORCED to update. Every update breaks things. Its not worth it anymore. I might just switch over to something else. Im tired of wasting time trying to get sonos to work. My previous work around was just not updating, which is not no longer possible. Does sonos even test their controller program with old receivers?
What does "The newest update breaks sonos for ALL the computers in the office" mean? You are no longer able to control playback or what?
Yes, I can still control from my phone, but the computer will no longer connect. WHY IS THE UPDATE FORCED??? The precious version was working fine yesterday, today I get a forced update. We dont have time to troubleshoot your bad decisions. I want an answer, why can't I install the previous version of sonos that was working?