Forced updates break SONOS

• 13 December 2018
  • 4 replies

"we need to get Sonos running on the latest software"

No, I really don't. Everytime I download the sonos update it will no longer connect to my controller AT ALL. Reinstalling older versions prompt me to download the BROKEN update again. The update will not detect the sonos system. Sonos now only works from my Android phone and will not work with any computer. If it's working fine, why would you FORCE an update? and not allow me to roll back to the previous version that was working yesterday?

Fix your broken buggy mess of a program or I will throw it in the trash and tell all my clients to avoid Sonos like the plague.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

@rhott. The update is not forced. What sounds like happened for you was that the Sonos app on your phone was set to automatically update. Once that was updated, you will then be required to have the firmware updated on your devices, and any other controllers, so that everything is on the same version.

Connection issues between a controller and Sonos devices are likely due to IP address conflicts. Your router isn't assigning address properly after the Sonos speakers rebooted. This can happen during updates or power outages. To fix, you can bounce your router, and then add back the Sonos speakers. For a more permanent solution, reserve IP addresses for your Sonos speakers.

Also, you can configure Sonos so that firmware will update on a scheduled time of day (range) so that updates can happen on phones/tablets and the firmaware automatically without user involvement. If you don't want an update, then turn off app updates on your phone, and firmware updates from the Sonos app configuration.
Cross-Post.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/forcing-updates-6809569/index1.html#post16293706
@rhott. The update is not forced. What sounds like happened for you was that the Sonos app on your phone was set to automatically update. Once that was updated, you will then be required to have the firmware updated on your devices, and any other controllers, so that everything is on the same version.

Connection issues between a controller and Sonos devices are likely due to IP address conflicts. Your router isn't assigning address properly after the Sonos speakers rebooted. This can happen during updates or power outages. To fix, you can bounce your router, and then add back the Sonos speakers. For a more permanent solution, reserve IP addresses for your Sonos speakers.

Also, you can configure Sonos so that firmware will update on a scheduled time of day (range) so that updates can happen on phones/tablets and the firmaware automatically without user involvement. If you don't want an update, then turn off app updates on your phone, and firmware updates from the Sonos app configuration.

Everytime sonos updates it break the entire system and someone has to spend an entire day to troubleshoot. Im so tired of your software breaking everytime I update it. How do I roll back the update to the sonos firmware on the devices? I am so over this company breaking its own products.
I would recommend contact Sonos directly with your issues. Since you're not in an office environment, not a typical home, the network setup recommendations are going to be different. Community members are not nearly as equipped to help with your issues. Sonos staff do read these threads, but obviously, direct contact will you quicker service.

By the way, Sonos only supports the current version of software, so therefore, they don't support methods to roll back to versions of software they don't support. Also, I don't work for Sonos. Sonos staff members are clearly marked as such.