Fixed Volume setting no longer available

• 10 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
I have a Sonos Connect.
Version: 9.2 (build 46357250)
Hardware Version: 1.16.5.5-2
Series ID: P100

Previously I've been able to change the volume output setting between fixed and variable. This is no longer available in Preferences. Does anybody know where to find it?
icon

Best answer by MikeV 10 October 2018, 00:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What controller are you using? Win/Mac or Android/iOS?

If you're using the desktop controller on a computer, today's update removes a good number of settings from the controller, requiring the use of an Android or iOS device in order to adjust those settings. It's possible that the "Fixed" volume setting for the Connect is among the settings that was moved. Unfortunately, my Connect has been moved to my parents' house for their turntable, so I don't have a way to check myself.
Badge
Thanks Mike V. You've answered my question. I found all the missing advanced settings on the iOS app after logging into Sonos via Room settings, but ...

The question is WHY only make them accessible this way?? Why not also from a desktop Controller app, especially if this setting choice is apparently now saved "elsewhere" (after the requirement to log in and stay logged in on the iOS app)? What information is Sonos now gathering if I must stay logged in?

Sorry, lots more questions, but that's my knee-jerk reaction when simplicity gives way to inexplicable convolution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
All I'm going to do to respond to this is point you to this topic that's a couple weeks old announcing the changes that have been made to the Desktop controller with this update...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300

Personally, I feel the same as many others and am not happy about the changes Sonos has made. But I've expressed this to them many times over, publicly and privately, but Sonos is gonna do what they're gonna do... and this was something they were determined to do, despite all the negative sentiment myself and others have expressed about the changes.
Badge
Thanks MikeV for pointing me to that article. I think they've made a strategic mistake.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Do not have connect but have a large number of Sonos components. Cannot adjust the volume of some...not all of the speakers after this most recent update on my main windows based desktop. Which ones are locked is variable depending upon how I group them. This has got to be a bug because no one in management would be so misguided as to drop the ability to adjust the volume of any speaker from any platform.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
"This has got to be a bug because no one in management would be so misguided as to drop the ability to adjust the volume of any speaker from any platform." Do you want to bet on how misguided the changes were??
Userlevel 1
Badge
I neglected to add a snapshot of my desktop sonos app showing the "dead" speakers. Here it is