Feature requests and bug fix requests

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Not sure this is the best place to post this……..but where do you post or submit Sonos feature requests? 

I have been a long term Sonos user and have a few recommendations for features.   Please let me know if there is a better place to submit or post these…….where they are most likely to be voiced to Sonos representatives who may act if enough people suggest? 

• The first, is to suggest that the Tunein service allow sign-in so that you can use the Sonos App to listen to TuneIn Premium if you are paying for this anyhow.  I have seen requests for this going back at least 10 years, but Sonos does not seem to have ever added this.    I believe newer services similar to Sonos have added this, such as Bluesound, and see no obvious reason why this would not be relatively easy to implement. 
  • I do think they should implement their own Sonos app for Apple watch
  • I do think they should add a Sonos Controller app for Android TV so that Sony and other Android based smart TV’s can show what’s playing on the TV screen.  Also, I would think relatively easy to implement.  It does not need to play music, just show what is playing.
  • There needs to be some volume normalization option (Loudness Normalization) between songs when using the Sonos app.   I have found that many songs on a playlist have volume that is different from song to song, so that I constantly have to adjust the volume as I listen.   I do not have to do this while listening.   I would like the dynamic range within a song to be normal and uncompressed, yet the overall volume from song to song should be able to be more normalized.  (individual apps, such as Tidal app seem to have this available in their settings, but they do not seem to work from within the Sonos app).  
  • For those of us who use Tidal…..on the Sonos app, when I save my Artist Radio stations/playlists to Sonos favorites…..it does not tell you the Artist name….and I see no way to rename them, so after a few saved, I have no idea which is which. 
  • Often when I try to add a very long playlist (>100 songs for example) to the Sonos play queue from the Sonos app (or just hit play on the playlist from within Sonos app…..from Tidal, for example (ex, one of their radio playlists), I often get an error that Sonos cannot add the songs to the queue (Error 701).   My network connection is fine and a shorter playlist is added to the queue fine…and I can play the same list from the Tidal app and send it to Sonos via Airplay, and it plays fine.  (Restarting router and Sonos devices does nothing to fix this). 

I am sure there are other things I would like…but this is a start of the top of my head. 

8 replies

Not sure this is the best place to post this……..but where do you post or submit Sonos feature requests? 

I have been a long term Sonos user and have a few recommendations for features.   Please let me know if there is a better place to submit or post these…….where they are most likely to be voiced to Sonos representatives who may act if enough people suggest? 

• The first, is to suggest that the Tunein service allow sign-in so that you can use the Sonos App to listen to TuneIn Premium if you are paying for this anyhow.  I have seen requests for this going back at least 10 years, but Sonos does not seem to have ever added this.    I believe newer services similar to Sonos have added this, such as Bluesound, and see no obvious reason why this would not be relatively easy to implement. 

Additions like this are the responsibility of the music service.  Unlike Bluesound, Sonos supplies an API to the music services to add themselves to the Sonos app, but the service has to initiate development.  I suggest lobbying at TuneIn.

Often requested, but not seen in many years.  Make of that what you will.

• I do think they should add a Sonos Controller app for Android TV so that Sony and other Android based smart TV’s can show what’s playing on the TV screen.  Also, I would think relatively easy to implement.  It does not need to play music, just show what is playing.

I’m not sure the ROI would be worth it on this.  Lots of code maintenance for a pretty small market. 

• There needs to be some volume normalization option (Loudness Normalization) between songs when using the Sonos app.   I have found that many songs on a playlist have volume that is different from song to song, so that I constantly have to adjust the volume as I listen.   I do not have to do this while listening.   I would like the dynamic range within a song to be normal and uncompressed, yet the overall volume from song to song should be able to be more normalized.  (individual apps, such as Tidal app seem to have this available in their settings, but they do not seem to work from within the Sonos app).  

Also the responsibility of the music service.

• For those of us who use Tidal…..on the Sonos app, when I save my Artist Radio stations/playlists to Sonos favorites…..it does not tell you the Artist name….and I see no way to rename them, so after a few saved, I have no idea which is which. 

Ditto.  Anything displayed by a music service is the responsibility of the service.

• Often when I try to add a very long playlist (>100 songs for example) to the Sonos play queue from the Sonos app (or just hit play on the playlist from within Sonos app…..from Tidal, for example (ex, one of their radio playlists), I often get an error that Sonos cannot add the songs to the queue (Error 701).   My network connection is fine and a shorter playlist is added to the queue fine…and I can play the same list from the Tidal app and send it to Sonos via Airplay, and it plays fine.  (Restarting router and Sonos devices does nothing to fix this). 

I know by now your are sick of hearing this, but this is also on the music service.

I am sure there are other things I would like…but this is a start of the top of my head. 

First…..I an others have lobbied from Tunein that they add premium service as well to the Sonos app, but they had suggested in the past that we also suggest this from Sonos so they could work on it from their end as well. 

Since I have seen the 701 error with long playlists from Tidal, Spotify and other music services as well, I expect that there may be a component related to the Sonos app itself or how it works with the services. 

Additions like this are the responsibility of the music service.  Unlike Bluesound, Sonos supplies an API to the music services to add themselves to the Sonos app, but the service has to initiate development.  I suggest lobbying at TuneIn.

I’m not sure the ROI would be worth it on this.  Lots of code maintenance for a pretty small market. 

Ditto.  Anything displayed by a music service is the responsibility of the service.

I know by now your are sick of hearing this, but this is also on the music service.

First, Mr. Music Listener……I don’t know why you took my post of problems, most of which how Tidal is working from within the Sonos app and shot down all of my suggestions…….and were of no help whatsoever.  I don’t know if you are a moderator or just someone who wanted to stick his nose in without helping.  Tidal was of little help on most of those…..and on the other hand, when I spoke with Sonos……THEY thought they were their problems and wanted to work with their engineers possibly in conjunction with the people at Tidal to fix them.    So, in other words…thanks but no thanks for the help.   I am a fairly long term user of Sonos and know how the services work and who seems to get things done to fix things.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You can rename Sonos Favorites in the Sonos apps.

As others have said, many of the other requests are the responsibility of the music service provider.

First, Mr. Music Listener……I don’t know why you took my post of problems, most of which how Tidal is working from within the Sonos app and shot down all of my suggestions…….and were of no help whatsoever.

I think you accidently referred to yourself rather than @jgatie here. I wouldn’t exactly call it shooting down your suggestions for the most part, but letting you know where best to make your suggestions, to the company that can actually do something about.  In yes, adding some context and personal opinions on some.  This is a community forum, so not everyone is going to agree.

I don’t know if you are a moderator or just someone who wanted to stick his nose in without helping.  Tidal was of little help on most of those…..and on the other hand, when I spoke with Sonos……THEY thought they were their problems and wanted to work with their engineers possibly in conjunction with the people at Tidal to fix them.    So, in other words…thanks but no thanks for the help.  

Unfortunately, it’s not too uncommon for support staff of music service to be unfamiliar without how their interface in the Sonos app actually works.  Sonos staff can pass on the request to the right people at Tidal (or other servcie), but in many cases, it’s still best if Tidal hears it directly from customers.  So if you can get the Tidal staffer to pass it on, that helps.

I am a fairly long term user of Sonos and know how the services work and who seems to get things done to fix things.   

In regards to Sonos building a controller app or interface for  Apple Watches, streaming service boxes, etc...there are quite a bit of options out there that are used by various volumes of Sonos users.  And since it take development time and effort to build and support a controller interface, ROI does matter. Can’t say would or would not be wise for Sonos to invest in.  That said, Sonos does have an open API, so it’s possible there is third party software is avialable for platform you want….although I’m not aware of any for Apple Watch or streaming apps.

You can rename Sonos Favorites in the Sonos apps.

As others have said, many of the other requests are the responsibility of the music service provider.

Thanks you.   More than one senior Sonos person was not aware of this, and I myself have tried several times and it was not self intuitive.  (at least to me).  If you clock edit, it seemed to me that it just gave you the choice to delete (not even rearrange)…..but I see that you are correct….a long hold on my iPhone does in fact open an edit name box.   That is a big help.  I do still think that when you save an artist’s radio, it would be nice if it automatically saved the name of the artist….but now that I know how to rename……it is certainly better. 

First, Mr. Music Listener……I don’t know why you took my post of problems, most of which how Tidal is working from within the Sonos app and shot down all of my suggestions…….and were of no help whatsoever.

I think you accidently referred to yourself rather than @jgatie here. I wouldn’t exactly call it shooting down your suggestions for the most part, but letting you know where best to make your suggestions, to the company that can actually do something about.  In yes, adding some context and personal opinions on some.  This is a community forum, so not everyone is going to agree.

I don’t know if you are a moderator or just someone who wanted to stick his nose in without helping.  Tidal was of little help on most of those…..and on the other hand, when I spoke with Sonos……THEY thought they were their problems and wanted to work with their engineers possibly in conjunction with the people at Tidal to fix them.    So, in other words…thanks but no thanks for the help.  

Unfortunately, it’s not too uncommon for support staff of music service to be unfamiliar without how their interface in the Sonos app actually works.  Sonos staff can pass on the request to the right people at Tidal (or other servcie), but in many cases, it’s still best if Tidal hears it directly from customers.  So if you can get the Tidal staffer to pass it on, that helps.

I am a fairly long term user of Sonos and know how the services work and who seems to get things done to fix things.   

In regards to Sonos building a controller app or interface for  Apple Watches, streaming service boxes, etc...there are quite a bit of options out there that are used by various volumes of Sonos users.  And since it take development time and effort to build and support a controller interface, ROI does matter. Can’t say would or would not be wise for Sonos to invest in.  That said, Sonos does have an open API, so it’s possible there is third party software is avialable for platform you want….although I’m not aware of any for Apple Watch or streaming apps.

and I agree, and had previously reported these items to Tidal as well.  I have spoken to more than one senior Sonos tech who did say several of these items were things they could fix, but up until now…have not done so (and even more, if you consider that they do coordinate with the major services to fine tune their interfaces).   When it comes to being able to do things like normalize volume or loudness, of songs that may be coming from different places, and at times different music services…..I was told that that is something Sonos could do, if they so decided to do it.    I do thank you all for your input though.   I agree….each is entitled to his/her own opinion, as well as suggestions for improvement of a music service.  

I have used a third party option for Apple watch for a while now……not perfect…but it kind of works most of the time.   I was just hopeful that Sonos would develop their own, which would hopefully be a bit more seamless working with their system.  I agree that it narrows the niche of people that would benefit, since only those with apple watches or apple tvs would benefit from that specific app…..and agree there is some roi decisions that need to be made…..but honestly, if I was buying a system now…..the fact that one system has an Apple watch interface and an Apple TV, Android TV, etc, would go into my decision as to which system to buy.   If enough people seem interested on a forum like this…sometimes the companies do change their minds or get swayed.